You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Communications >

Radio repair?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
sgtusmc98

Liked 402 Times on 157 Posts

sgtusmc98 is on a distinguished road
Default Radio repair?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a repair service? I have an ICOM 706 MKII G that won't transmit on vhf/uhf or hf. I have a couple of options now, what I'm really hoping for is a very strong recommendation for someone with a great record and reasonable costs.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Starcreek
Fresh Face

Liked 4268 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

Starcreek is on a distinguished road

Milton Lord's website. He's in Georgia, and we have experience with his repair work. Sounds like a final problem.

http://www.qsl.net/kd4ozi/DEC/ham_radio_repair__n4da__milton.htm

Probably gonna cost you a couple hundred bucks to repair, but a Mark II G is worth it.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
bacpacker

Liked 504 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

bacpacker is on a distinguished road

I don't have a local contact. I have sent any radios I had issues with back for factory repair. I've never had a problem with my 706, but had great results from Kenwood.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
sgtusmc98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcreek View Post
Milton Lord's website. He's in Georgia, and we have experience with his repair work. Sounds like a final problem.

http://www.qsl.net/kd4ozi/DEC/ham_radio_repair__n4da__milton.htm

Probably gonna cost you a couple hundred bucks to repair, but a Mark II G is worth it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 AM   #5
sgtusmc98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
I don't have a local contact. I have sent any radios I had issues with back for factory repair. I've never had a problem with my 706, but had great results from Kenwood.

Thank you, the dealer is a safe bet.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
forluvofsmoke
Hangin' n learnin'

Liked 349 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 130

forluvofsmoke is on a distinguished road
Default Switch-check

Sgtusmc98, have you checked your Mic/TX switch with a meter to make sure it has continuity (circuit is closing)? Sometimes the simplest of things can bite you when you least expect it. It would kinda suck to send your radio off for repairs and not get it back for a month or 2 to find that it was just the TX switch broken or dirty, or a broken wire in the cord.

I've never worked on 2-ways, but lots of other electronics, and anything with a cord on it can cause issues over time...and the problem is usually not hard to find, either, and definitely worth looking into before calling it a day.

Always remember Murphy's Law...

Starcreek Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
sgtusmc98

Quote:
Originally Posted by forluvofsmoke View Post
Sgtusmc98, have you checked your Mic/TX switch with a meter to make sure it has continuity (circuit is closing)? Sometimes the simplest of things can bite you when you least expect it. It would kinda suck to send your radio off for repairs and not get it back for a month or 2 to find that it was just the TX switch broken or dirty, or a broken wire in the cord.

I've never worked on 2-ways, but lots of other electronics, and anything with a cord on it can cause issues over time...and the problem is usually not hard to find, either, and definitely worth looking into before calling it a day.

Thanks for the advice, the mic was working as far as I could tell the radio appeared to work but the power meter attached to it wouldn't show a reading. I'm sure no expert in radios so it very well could be something simple but it's out of my hands now anyway (shipped). I have another radio I thought was dead and it turned out to be the antenna (or coax), weather has been a bit rough so I haven't messed with it yet and will be upgrading the cable soon anyway hoping it isn't actually the antenna.

My big problem with electronics is that I always have many coincidences at the same time and finding the problem can be challenging with multiple seemingly unrelated problems.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
TheLazyL
Cowboy

Liked 6621 Times on 2043 Posts
Likes Given: 1941

TheLazyL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc98 View Post
Thanks for the advice, the mic was working as far as I could tell the radio appeared to work but the power meter attached to it wouldn't show a reading. ...
Mike was keyed too long or numerous times with the antenna disconnected resulting in the Transmit side of being fried?

45 Colt when you care enough to send the very best.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:57 AM   #9
sgtusmc98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyL View Post
Mike was keyed too long or numerous times with the antenna disconnected resulting in the Transmit side of being fried?

I'm not sure what happened! It worked perfectly fine, didn't use it for a month and when I went to use it it wouldn't transmit.

My best guess is that for the HF side I have a borrowed antenna tuner that takes a lot of playing with to work, you can't know the position of the dials for a certain frequency and set it there before transmitting. I knew some generalities for 20 and 40m but getting the antenna tuner dialed in was guess work. If it wasn't something like a power surge, lightning or old age I think it was from too much swr from the antenna because of a crappy tuner. I'll get a new tuner before it gets used again.

The UHF/VHF side is another story, I bought the radio on eBay, when I got it everything seemed fine but I didn't really use it because I was in the process of getting my general license. I decided to put it in my daily driver for 2m/70cm and sometimes it would open up the repeater and sometimes it wouldn't. Talked to a local tech and he said that the 706 series had a very narrow variation on the tone frequency for repeaters which worked fine in the "old" days when people used the right repeaters but now with people buying used commercial repeaters and modifying them there needed to be a wider tone transmission. So I didn't do anything with it for awhile. He may have been full of it I don't know. Later I was trying it simplex and discovered it only transmitted for about half a second. Now I don't think the VHF/UHF side ever worked since I had it.

Quick Reply