Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Communications > Police Scanner app for my phone!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
randyhsv
prepper

randyhsv is on a distinguished road
Default Police Scanner app for my phone!

This may be old news...
I just learned that there are several free police scanner apps available for my Droid phone!
The one I downloaded (Scanner Radio) lets you input your ZIP to select the local agencies to monitor.

My life-long motto has been "Be Prepared".
I write about preparedness, as well as home business and the state the economy on my blog.
See also http://randyreek.com/saving-money/be-prepared-for-emergencies

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
DKRinAK
As smart as

Liked 148 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

DKRinAK is on a distinguished road

Pretty cool.

But wouldn't you rather have a scanner in your hand? That way if the power goes out/internet goes down/etc/etc. you can still find out what is going on...

Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
randyhsv
prepper

randyhsv is on a distinguished road

I'm a "belt and suspenders" person!

My life-long motto has been "Be Prepared".
I write about preparedness, as well as home business and the state the economy on my blog.
See also http://randyreek.com/saving-money/be-prepared-for-emergencies

Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
JoKing

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

JoKing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRinAK
Pretty cool.

But wouldn't you rather have a scanner in your hand? That way if the power goes out/internet goes down/etc/etc. you can still find out what is going on...
I'm not sure if I'm right but would think that having the app would be better than a hand held because if you have cell reception you have access to the channels whereas, with a hand held, the reception is a lot more conditional. Electricity isn't an issue unless you can't charge your phone. I may be missing something about how the app works, but it seems to me that it would be reliable. As for cons, I have the app for my IPOD with wifi so it's only a luxury. Another con is that the app I have doesn't scan(I don't think) so I can only listen to one channel at a time. But, I can tune into neighboring counties/states/countries with perfect reception.
I may be way behind the times, but I know that a lot of areas prohibit scanners in vehicles(?currently?).

Old 04-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
JoKing

The app is especially useful to commuters. The message traffic can help you make the decision to detour before you see all of those annoying little red lights on the back end of cars.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
worldengineer

Liked 48 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 9

worldengineer is on a distinguished road

Scanner radio isn't a scanner in the traditional sense.

It doesn't scan, you have to choose the channel you wish to listen to, but that way its easy to tell exactly where is coming from.
Plus you have access to more channels than any other handheld could dream of. Plus since its on your phone it makes for better OPSEC and people think its cool not really prepper thing.

you can survive, but its more fun to live, theirs no need to rough it!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
FatTire
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 568

FatTire is on a distinguished road

This was the first app I downloaded when i got my iPhone

Be Human First

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
k0xxx
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1095 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 587

k0xxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldengineer View Post
Plus you have access to more channels than any other handheld could dream of.
FWIW, I'm sorry, but this is not even close.

OK, I don't own a Droid, but.... the app does not make the Droid into a scanner, but rather it accesses streamed scanner frequencies over the web. As such, it only works if there happens to be streamed frequencies from a certain area.

That being so a simple programmable scanner has the ability to listen to any unencoded or non-scrambled transmissions in it's frequency range. While there may be several thousands of streamed local frequencies available across the country, for each one that is streamed there are probably hundreds that aren't. It may be a convenient way to listen in, if there are streamed frequencies in your area, but once the net or the cell system goes down, a hand held or mobile scanner will still be working.

At my age, rolling out of bed in the morning is easy... Getting up off the floor is another story.

Last edited by k0xxx; 04-09-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: FFS - Fat Finger Syndrome

Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
JoKing

I have the 5-0 Radio Pro for Apple. While I couldn't find a feed for my town(I guess that 1 cop don't need a walkie talkie), I was happy to find one for Public Works and the county sherif(which deals with all the towns' emergency traffic). I can upload any stream I find on the net be it FM, HAM, or whatever. My iPod isn't clunky. I can listen to my mp3s and audiobooks, with scanner interruptions, while keeping my place in the song/book. It's a pretty neat gadget and I think the ole hand held is going in a Faraday cage for a rainy day.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Ration-AL

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Ration-AL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKing View Post
I have the 5-0 Radio Pro for Apple. While I couldn't find a feed for my town(I guess that 1 cop don't need a walkie talkie), I was happy to find one for Public Works and the county sherif(which deals with all the towns' emergency traffic). I can upload any stream I find on the net be it FM, HAM, or whatever. My iPod isn't clunky. I can listen to my mp3s and audiobooks, with scanner interruptions, while keeping my place in the song/book. It's a pretty neat gadget and I think the ole hand held is going in a Faraday cage for a rainy day.
read on

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0xxx View Post
FWIW, I'm sorry, but this is not even close.

OK, I don't own a Droid, but.... the app does not make the Droid into a scanner, but rather it accesses streamed scanner frequencies over the web. As such, it only works if there happens to be streamed frequencies from a certain area.

That being so a simple programmable scanner has the ability to listen to any unencoded or non-scrambled transmissions in it's frequency range. While there may be several thousands of streamed local frequencies available across the country, for each one that is streamed there are probably hundreds that aren't. It may be a convenient way to listen in, if there are streamed frequencies in your area, but once the net or the cell system goes down, a hand held or mobile scanner will still be working.

^this

you're just streaming from the internet from people who have real scanners and have placed a feed on the web.

if you feel the need for one, get a real one, if not enjoy the the app on your phone and leave it at that, just do not count on the one on your phone to do anything a few hours after the EBS is kicked into effect.

the ipod will still work for music though....

Quick Reply