You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Communications >

How many HAM radio operators on forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #321
sgtusmc98

Liked 723 Times on 259 Posts

sgtusmc98 is on a distinguished road

Useless information: last night I was picking up 2m from 450 miles away. It was crazy! I had 146.880 in my radi for a local repeater but it doesn't work in more, it was still in the scan though. After hearing something I listened and picked up at least 3 repeaters. Also had doubling up on the repeater we use for our ARES net, that station was 160 miles away. Doesn't mean much other than 2m was doing some serious traveling last night!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #322
Gophfer

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Gophfer is on a distinguished road

New to this forum and new to Ham. Wife and I got our technician tickets a few months ago, a couple Baofeng 5R handhelds and are planning our base station. We really need it b/c we live out in the country and it is usually a stretch for the handheld to hit the local repeaters.

We took our 13 y/o granddaughter to the Orlando Hamcation hamfest last weekend and we infected her. She was excited and we are going to work on her Technician test.

73's

KM4YDQ

Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #323
AmishHeart

Liked 4538 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 3692

AmishHeart is on a distinguished road

Excellent! It's great to get young people into ham radio. It's also great to get females involved in ham radio. Am in charge of registration for Albuquerque's Tech Fest at the end of the month. We are in our third year. Only a handful of female hams there. But....I don't have a line at the restroom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #324
fteter

Liked 505 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 81

fteter is on a distinguished road

Gophfer, Congrats to you and the wife on earning the Tech license. And congrats on "infecting" your granddaughter as well!

So far as the base station goes, I'd suggested getting a base station antenna first - see how the better antenna works with your 5r. I've hooked a Diamond X30a up about 25 feet to a Baofeng UV-82 HT...the combo works so well that a base station purchase is now pretty low on my priority list. Just a thought...

K1RFS

Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #325
bbqjoe
Void where Prohibited

Liked 1639 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 52

bbqjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

I got bit when I was driving semi years ago.
I went through a bunch of radios, kickers, antenna's, mics, and antenna setups.

A guy in a radio shop talked me into an RCI 2950, and showed me about the jumpers.
It was fun listening on 10 meters, and I did chat a bit when the skip came in.
When I owned my restaurant, I purchased an RCI 2995, and put it in the kitchen with an IMaX 2000 on the roof. I used to talk to the drivers, and offer them deals to come in and try us.

I kinda thought about going ape with ham equipment for awhile.

I've never heard anything above or below 10 or 11 meters.

Just about every conversation is the same. Location, weather, and signal report.
Kinda boring really.
I mean it's cool as all get out the first time you find yourself in contact with someone almost halfway around the world.

But if that's all it's about, I can't see jumping through the hoops for a license.

Anymore, 11 meters is nothing but garbage, trash talk etc, and I turned it off a number of years ago.

I have the 2995 hooked up in the shop, but I never turn it on.

I figure about the only time I might use it seriously might be if the fan thing happens. Then again if it does, who would I even want to talk to?
And does anyone think that while the world blows up, anyone is going to give a rats behind if a guy on a radio has a license or not?

I do know about the different clubs and I'm sure that part could be fun, if you're into people.

Someone played the wrong domino,
and caused the rest to follow.

~Bob Marley~

tmttactical Likes This 
Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #326
sgtusmc98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophfer View Post
New to this forum and new to Ham. Wife and I got our technician tickets a few months ago, a couple Baofeng 5R handhelds and are planning our base station. We really need it b/c we live out in the country and it is usually a stretch for the handheld to hit the local repeaters.

We took our 13 y/o granddaughter to the Orlando Hamcation hamfest last weekend and we infected her. She was excited and we are going to work on her Technician test.

73's

KM4YDQ

I agree with fteter, get a good antenna first, if you get a base station you will need an antenna anyway. For quite a while I had a baofeng hooked up to a 17ft dual band, I could hear more than I could talk but it helped a lot. I try not to skimp on antennas, many folks do, having a good antenna is probably more important than having a good radio.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #327
RichBohlman

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

RichBohlman is on a distinguished road

KG5QLS Rich Pearl Mississippi
Hold my General Ticket & studying for my Extra License.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 AM   #328
sgtusmc98

Glad to have you with us! The Extra is a pain!

Quick Reply