Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Product Reviews > Don't Buy King Craft Generators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
JayJay
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 879 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 7

JayJay is on a distinguished road
Default Don't Buy King Craft Generators

I'd like to spread the word about King Craft Generators...I started mine for 7 months, no problem. Eighth month wouldn't start...dh couldn't even get it started, and he's tried for 2 months.
I can't return it to Aldi's because I can't find the receipt.DUH!
Customer service told ME to replace the spark plug first and then clean the carburetor.
Dh has used every tool in his 3 tool boxes and can't get SP out; was taking machine apart to get to SP, but we decided to sell it to a guy who knows how to fix them--at a discount.
Now, of course they won't service the generator since I have no receipt; but one tech said: IF I DON'T USE THE GENERATOR ALL THE TIME, THE SPARK PLUG WILL NEED REPLACING AND I WILL HAVE PROBLEMS!!!
Excuse me...I will have problems??? Stupid me--and I thought generators were for power outages backup!! Stupid me!!
That the company wanted ME to replace the spark plug and clean the carburetor is quite telling...and that was BEFORE they learned I had no receipt. We never used this machine.
I'd like to share this to keep any from making our mistake.
This may save you any inconvenience and I'm still wondering how well it would have held up if replacing parts and cleaning carburetors are required and it hasn't been used. You wouldn't want this reaction in an emergency--which is why you start your generator every month.
Peace....JayJay

King Craft
6000 Watt Generator
Item #1705-11
Toll Free...888 896 6881

'God charts our path; it is we who must take it'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
JustCliff
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 293 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 165

JustCliff is on a distinguished road

Check your low oil shut off. If you have plenty of oil in the motor, try bypassing the switch. The engine looks like a Chinese made Honda clone. I have had problems with 2 engines of similar design that wouldn't start. I bypassed the low oil switch and they fired right up. Aside from that they ran great, better then I expected.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3447 Times on 1721 Posts
Likes Given: 1742

Davarm is on a distinguished road

In gasoline generators used for backup, a common problem is fuel, always put a fuel stabilizer in if you dont use it much. Thats probobly why they told you to check the plug and carb.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
TommyJefferson
Living the American Dream

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

TommyJefferson is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads-up.

Side-note: I've made it my habit to photocopy my receipts for large purchases because the register receipts they give you nowadays fade away over time.

I think it's the thermal laser paper they print them on. Copies made on my ink jet printer last many years.

An alternative is to photograph the receipt with your cell phone, webcam, etc., then upload the image to your favorite storage. I like Google docs and Photobucket.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3447 Times on 1721 Posts
Likes Given: 1742

Davarm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJefferson View Post
Thanks for the heads-up.

I think it's the thermal laser paper they print them on. Copies made on my ink jet printer last many years.
Just keep those receipts printed on thermal papper off the dashoard of your car when the sun is out.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
VUnder

Liked 89 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 17

VUnder is on a distinguished road

You could have that kind of problem with any engine, at any time. I have dealt with spark plugs stuck so bad that I had a 3/4" breaker bar and was sitting on top of the engine with my feet on the firewall and had to put my back into it to get it to move just a little... There is nothing wrong with learning about engines and carburetors, and how to take one completely down and put together and pre-set it to start right up when installed. I took the head off a large V8 engine last week, it fired up on the first try. I also put a kit in a 20 hp briggs on a water well drilling rig, and it fired right up also. On the small engines, it either ain't gettin gas or it ain't gettin fire. Sometimes spark plugs will fire in the open when grounded, but will not fire under combustion pressures. I usually check that by leaving the spark plug wire un hooked and maybe a half inch away from the plug tip and crank the engine, sometimes they will run this way but not with the wire installed correctly. Feel free to ask questions.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCliff View Post
Check your low oil shut off. If you have plenty of oil in the motor, try bypassing the switch. The engine looks like a Chinese made Honda clone. I have had problems with 2 engines of similar design that wouldn't start. I bypassed the low oil switch and they fired right up. Aside from that they ran great, better then I expected.
Oh, you may have solved the problem...there is a notice on the motor..which I read!!!don't know why!!--it says this will not start if oil is low, because of the OIL SENSOR...thanks, dude.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJefferson View Post
Thanks for the heads-up.

Side-note: I've made it my habit to photocopy my receipts for large purchases because the register receipts they give you nowadays fade away over time.

An alternative is to photograph the receipt with your cell phone, webcam, etc., then upload the image to your favorite storage. I like Google docs and Photobucket.
Good idea--I usually tape my receipts to the back of the manual for large purchases...but, not this time...I think my loving, precious dh brought it to me long after purchase and I didn't follow procedure--but try laminating--which is just packaging tape--the item--preserves ink; esp. when you can't run to a printer or out of ink..I live with packaging tape---former teacher!!

Grimm Likes This 
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUnder View Post
You could have that kind of problem with any engine, at any time. I have dealt with spark plugs stuck so bad that I had a 3/4" breaker bar and was sitting on top of the engine with my feet on the firewall and had to put my back into it to get it to move just a little... There is nothing wrong with learning about engines and carburetors, and how to take one completely down and put together and pre-set it to start right up when installed. I took the head off a large V8 engine last week, it fired up on the first try. I also put a kit in a 20 hp briggs on a water well drilling rig, and it fired right up also. On the small engines, it either ain't gettin gas or it ain't gettin fire. Sometimes spark plugs will fire in the open when grounded, but will not fire under combustion pressures. I usually check that by leaving the spark plug wire un hooked and maybe a half inch away from the plug tip and crank the engine, sometimes they will run this way but not with the wire installed correctly. Feel free to ask questions.
Thanks VUnder--I am not mechanically or electronically inclined---I know my limits..see I'm the daughter of a carpenter/house builder, a man who had only a 6th grade education, and you wouldn't find a corner out of plumb on any of his houses.
I trimmed out our last house, laid hardwood floor, hung doors, painted, AND even put up a wall or two by myself; but I didn't get his brick-laying gene...I really sucked at that.

But, we are gonna try that bypass the oil sensor dingy.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
VUnder

Liked 89 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 17

VUnder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Thanks VUnder--I am not mechanically or electronically inclined---I know my limits..see I'm the daughter of a carpenter/house builder, a man who had only a 6th grade education, and you wouldn't find a corner out of plumb on any of his houses.
I trimmed out our last house, laid hardwood floor, hung doors, painted, AND even put up a wall or two by myself; but I didn't get his brick-laying gene...I really sucked at that.

But, we are gonna try that bypass the oil sensor dingy.
My dad was exactly the same way. His dad only went to school for maybe two months. Education has nothing to do with how smart somebody is. I believe you can do it. There is somebody around there like me that will be glad to get you familiar with it.

Quick Reply