Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Product Reviews > Book Review - THe Long Ride Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
DKRinAK
As smart as

Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 13

DKRinAK is on a distinguished road
Default Book Review - THe Long Ride Home

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IKFPX2/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=paspr-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeAS IN=B007IKFPX2)

The Long Ride Home (Mosquito Mountain Chronicles) [Kindle Edition] By none other than Gypsysue.

A refreshing read. At a time when so many e-books are full of - well, let's just say not suitable for polite company, I found this book to be a breath of fresh air.

You follow the journey of a woman, no shrinking violet, as she makes her way home after a wide area disaster. Free of vulgarity, cursing and much of what passes for fictional 'literature' these days, I really enjoyed following along on the trip. I have to confess, I love long distance bicycle riding myself, so this just might be a natural for you - if you enjoy cycling as well.

As an author myself, I found Susan's style easy to read, natural, perhaps.

I gave this 4 stars mostly for length...I would have enjoyed a longer journey and tad more detail on the trip home. I rate this suitable for teens who enjoy adventure stories as well.

The book also examines some of the issues one might find after a wide-scale disaster, it's worth the reader taking the time to consider their own situation in such a light...

This is just a cut and paste of my Amazon review.

I enjoy Susan's writing as both easy to read and it's something I wouldn't be afraid to give my (precocious) 8 yo granddaughter for her consumption. So much of what appears on ebooks today is simply not worth reading, for any number of reasons. I mostly object to the base nature of what passes for literature today.

I'm no prude, as a Vet, I think I have herd it all, and in more than one language. But a "dialog" that is mostly foul language is not literature, it is an admission the author has no good ideas.

Susan has done of good job in telling a story that grabs your attention, and keeps to the ending, one that comes too soon, IMO.

Hope this review encourages you to either get the book or read the story here.

Last edited by DKRinAK; 03-14-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spell'n of course
cybergranny Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
oldvet

Liked 1050 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 5706

oldvet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRinAK View Post
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IKFPX2/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=paspr-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeAS IN=B007IKFPX2)

The Long Ride Home (Mosquito Mountain Chronicles) [Kindle Edition] By none other than Gypsysue.

A refreshing read. At a time when so many e-books are full of - well, let's just say not suitable for polite company, I found this book to be a breath of fresh air.

You follow the journey of a woman, no shrinking violet, as she makes her way home after a wide area disaster. Free of vulgarity, cursing and much of what passes for fictional 'literature' these days, I really enjoyed following along on the trip. I have to confess, I love long distance bicycle riding myself, so this just might be a natural for you - if you enjoy cycling as well.

As an author myself, I found Susan's style easy to read, natural, perhaps.

I gave this 4 stars mostly for length...I would have enjoyed a longer journey and tad more detail on the trip home. I rate this suitable for teens who enjoy adventure stories as well.

The book also examines some of the issues one might find after a wide-scale disaster, it's worth the reader taking the time to consider their own situation in such a light...

This is just a cut and paste of my Amazon review.

I enjoy Susan's writing as both easy to read and it's something I wouldn't be afraid to give my (precocious) 8 yo granddaughter for her consumption. So much of what appears on ebooks today is simply not worth reading, for any number of reasons. I mostly object to the base nature of what passes for literature today.

I'm no prude, as a Vet, I think I have herd it all, and in more than one language. But a "dialog" that is mostly foul language is not literature, it is an admission the author has no good ideas.

Susan has done of good job in telling a story that grabs your attention, and keeps to the ending, one that comes too soon, IMO.

Hope this review encourages you to either get the book or read the story here.
Now that was a book review, and I reckon I will know how to really write one the next time I have the privilege of doing it. Thanks DKRinAK.

Dan

You read, listen, watch, and practice, and just when you think you have it down someone comes up with a better way to do it. So you read, listen, watch, and practice, and just when................

Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1228 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1589

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

Thanks, you guys! I appreciate the reviews, and that you also put them on Amazon for potential buyers to view.

I don't like the word "Chronicles" up in the title, so I'm probably going to change it. I'm thinking of something like "Mosquito Mountain Adventures" (We live on Mosquito Mountain, in real life). I think Chronicles implies science-fiction or something scholarly. Neither fit my stories.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
PamsPride
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 694 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 704

PamsPride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysue View Post
Thanks, you guys! I appreciate the reviews, and that you also put them on Amazon for potential buyers to view.

I don't like the word "Chronicles" up in the title, so I'm probably going to change it. I'm thinking of something like "Mosquito Mountain Adventures" (We live on Mosquito Mountain, in real life). I think Chronicles implies science-fiction or something scholarly. Neither fit my stories.
I live near Mosquito Lake! So we can't be THAT far from each other! We should get together sometime!!!

Maybe you could use the word 'series' instead of chronicles.

Budget Friendly Kindle Downloads for Homesteaders: Pam's Pride Recommendations
My ebook: Canned Potatoes and Recipes: How to can potatoes and use home canned and store bought canned potatoes.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
DKRinAK
As smart as

Quote:

Why not steal a bit from Mark Twain?

"Adventures of Mosquito Mountain" or the like....

I'm reading "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" right now

Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
CulexPipiens
Still waiting for the zombies.

Liked 993 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 739

CulexPipiens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamsPride View Post
I live near Mosquito Lake! So we can't be THAT far from each other! We should get together sometime!!!
I am a mosquito. Don't squish me when you get together!

Her book is an excellent read! I highly recommend it!

It is real life fiction, not the old "dude won a lottery and spends millions on preps and a bunker" story line that I see all too often. Instead, GypsySue presents someone in a plausible situation making decisions that anyone else in similar situations would have to make. It is much more realistic and thus engaging to the reader. Definitely 2 thumbs up.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
gypsysue
The wanderer

Okay, calling all "mosquito" people... Let's party! Someone set the date and bring the food!

I changed it to "Mosquito Mountain Memories" before I read all of your posts. Hmmm....

Think I should leave it that way? Or go back in and make it "Mosquito Mountain Series"? "Mosquito Mountain Adventures"?

While we're at it, the sequel is also here on the forum, and it's called "The Montana Homestead". At the time I wrote it I couldn't think of a name for it. Our esteemed administrator, Naekid, named it for me. While I love Naekid and appreciate him naming it for me, I don't think it gives justice to the action of the book. Does anyone have ideas for a better name? I plan to put it on Amazon soon, so time is of the essense.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
DKRinAK
As smart as

Quote:
Okay, calling all "mosquito" people... Let's party! Someone set the date and bring the food!

I changed it to "Mosquito Mountain Memories" before I read all of your posts. Hmmm....

Think I should leave it that way? Or go back in and make it "Mosquito Mountain Series"? "Mosquito Mountain Adventures"?

While we're at it, the sequel is also here on the forum, and it's called "The Montana Homestead". At the time I wrote it I couldn't think of a name for it. Our esteemed administrator, Naekid, named it for me. While I love Naekid and appreciate him naming it for me, I don't think it gives justice to the action of the book. Does anyone have ideas for a better name? I plan to put it on Amazon soon, so time is of the essense.

I'm a little late back to this party

"Adventures of" Sir A Conan Doyle in his Sherlock Holmes stories used "The Adventure of the" many, many times. Don't see why it wouldn't work on this series.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
Chaos

Chaos is on a distinguished road
Default Loved this book

I am new to prepping, but have jumped in with both feet. I came to this website after seeing it in "A Tale of Two Preppers" and for some reason was surprised to find the author here

I have read all her books but one, which I am waiting on my mom to finish, and find them to be informative and entertaining. I can only hope if shtf that I am as lucky as her characters.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #10
gypsysue
The wanderer

Hi Chaos! I'm glad you've enjoyed my books, and apparently your Mom has as well! I hope to write a few more this year for your (and everyone's!) enjoyment!

I'm always glad to hear someone looked for this website after reading one of my books! This is a great place to learn everything you want to know about prepping. Everyone here is willing to help answer questions, but if there's any way I can be of help to you, let me know.

Quick Reply