Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > What's your favorite source for bulk wheat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #31
Ezmerelda

Liked 311 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Ezmerelda is on a distinguished road

I buy grains from Montana Wheat through a local whole foods co-op. If you contact the company, they can probably put you in contact with a co-op in your area. Since we have probably over a hundred people purchasing all together, sharing the shipping costs, it comes out better price-wise than ordering individually online.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #32
byteshredder

byteshredder is on a distinguished road
Default Midwest Source of Bulk Food

If you live in the Midwest, you might want to check out Country Life Natural Food based in MI. They have an extensive catalog of grain, rice, beans, and other food stuff -- many of them organic. Their prices are comparable to other big mail order suppliers and they offer FREE HOME DELIVERY to many parts of the Midwest. Check out their PDF catalog at their home page, read about their company truck delivery routes and give them a call to see if free home delivery is an option for you. I use them and their delivery trucks save me 25% on the total cost of our bulk food preps.

-byteshredder-

"People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.” - Fredrick Douglass

Old 06-27-2011, 01:59 AM   #33
LincTex
Jack of all trades?

Liked 4954 Times on 2648 Posts
Likes Given: 11816

LincTex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJoe View Post
I know it won't do you any good, but we get ours from our local feed store....It's not going to be nice and clean the way it is in the #10 cans, but at that price I'll put up with a few dead bugs and some chaff.
I buy mine from the local grain elevator. I put a big ol' tarp in the bed of my pick-up, and just auger it right into the middle in a medium-size heap. I usually get around 1000 lbs at at time like this. 1000 lbs will almost fill 3 blue plastic 55 gallon drums.

I have to pick out the bugs and chaff, but it is not a big deal. I only clean what I need to mill that day.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #34
Ezmerelda

Liked 311 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Ezmerelda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshredder View Post
If you live in the Midwest, you might want to check out Country Life Natural Food based in MI. They have an extensive catalog of grain, rice, beans, and other food stuff -- many of them organic. Their prices are comparable to other big mail order suppliers and they offer FREE HOME DELIVERY to many parts of the Midwest.

Our Co-op orders from Country Life also. If you are in West Tennessee, check out Bulk Natural Foods for information. There are pick up locations from Jackson to Memphis, and points in between.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #35
hillbillymama

hillbillymama is on a distinguished road

I also tracked down the Wheat Montana at a Walmart. But then I also found that there are some Walmarts that DO carry it and that aren't listed online... so check at your Walmart even if it isn't one of the ones listed. It is very good wheat, and with no shipping costs......

Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #36
Kai22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kai22 is on a distinguished road

Is anyone able to order from the LDS online store? I just looked and the wheat is back ordered, but it appears that it might be free shipping? That's amazing! The other places I was looking, the shipping is astronomical. I did place an order from Augason Farms today with 7.99 UPS ground shipping which isn't too bad. I ordered a 45lb superpail for about $60 with shipping. I know I can do it cheaper. This thread is great!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #37
LincTex
Jack of all trades?

Liked 4954 Times on 2648 Posts
Likes Given: 11816

LincTex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai22 View Post
I ordered a 45lb superpail for about $60 with shipping.
OUCH!! Dang! Don't you have any feed stores nearby?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #38
Genevieve
working on it

Liked 1206 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Genevieve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai22 View Post
Is anyone able to order from the LDS online store? I just looked and the wheat is back ordered, but it appears that it might be free shipping? That's amazing! The other places I was looking, the shipping is astronomical. I did place an order from Augason Farms today with 7.99 UPS ground shipping which isn't too bad. I ordered a 45lb superpail for about $60 with shipping. I know I can do it cheaper. This thread is great!
Good grief! Hun, you to shop at Honeyville. Any order ships for $4.49!
Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Freeze Dried Food
This is how I did it until I found a place closer. It comes in a bag, very clean and the bag is in a box. It can go right from that bag to mylar and a bucket.

and heres the discount code for July
Coupon Code: FREEDOM

SUMMARY: GET 10% Off of Your Entire Order* from Thursday 7/7/2011 through Tuesday 7/12/2011. Stock up and save on all of your favorites, including our wildly popular Powdered Whole Eggs (They're Back). Simply enter coupon code FREEDOM during checkout. ORDER NOW! SALE ENDS THIS TUESDAY!

Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Freeze Dried Food

While you're at it, take a look at our new Emergency Meals in the #10 cans. These are classic meals using Freeze Dried Meats and sealed in the #10 can for long term storage with a shelf life of 10 to 15 years. With great combinations like Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Rotini in Meat Sauce, you'll have the variety on hand to weather any storm, be it economic or mother nature. These meals get you the calories you need with the quality you've come to expect from Honeyville. Give them a try.

New Products from Honeyville Grain

We appreciate your business and strive to offer quality products at affordable prices. Should you have any questions or concerns, or just want to say hello, give us a call, toll-free, at (888) 810-3212 or shoot us an email at webmaster@honeyvillegrain.com.

Regards,

Chris Ondatje

Director of E-Commerce

Honeyville Grain, Inc.

*10% off discount does not apply to our already low flat-rate shipping fee of $4.49. Discount valid for INTERNET ORDERS ONLY placed from Thursday, July 7th, 2011 thru Tuesday, July 12th, 2011 at 6:00PM PST. For assistance call (888) 810-3212.

it's back!! lol
http://genevieve-theviewfrommyvalley.blogspot.com/?zx=31f62abc74e3038a
http://theviewfrommyvalley.wordpress.com/

Genevieve THE EVIL ONE is in HAPPY EVIL LAND!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #39
rhrobert
Happy in the hills

Liked 154 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 75

rhrobert is on a distinguished road

Oklahoma Food Cooperative - Local Food, Local Farmers - Farmer's Market, Natural, organic, health, sustainable, locally grown, meat, vegetables, nuts, produce, bread

Here's an example from Magee Farms there:
Order number of bags. Harvested with our "all Crop 60" combine. We use no chemicals to raise our crops, so that you our customers can have fresh untainted grain for milling,sprouting or eating as a cooked cereal. Certified Naturally Grown $8.00/25# bag

Yep, it's a .coop not a .com Great place, multiple sources, you can pick up or order from the closest one to you.

Not associated with them, just know people who order from them.

Wish our Wally world carried bulk Montana Wheat...they don't even want o order it for me.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #40
Kai22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kai22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincTex View Post
OUCH!! Dang! Don't you have any feed stores nearby?
No feed stores anywhere nearby. Basically nothing is here. We are rural mountains and sometimes it's such a pain to buy the most basic of items.

Genevieve thanks for the great info - I'm going to check it out now!

Tags
bulk food, food storage

Quick Reply