Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > What's your favorite source for bulk wheat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
goshengirl
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3249 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 10783

goshengirl is on a distinguished road
Default What's your favorite source for bulk wheat?

I'm looking to buy bulk wheat berries, and there are so many sources... The closest LDS canning center is a bit far away for me to be able to get there, so I'm looking for online sources. It's hard to compare apples to apples (or, wheat berries to wheat berries, eh?) when some prices include shipping, some don't, etc.

Emergency Essentials looks good, but if you buy a superpail, then you must have a minimum of 200 lbs in your shipment...

USA Emergency Supply has both Rainy Day Foods and Honeyville Grain products, but with a HUGE price difference. Obviously Honeyville Grain has label recognition, but is Rainy Day Foods a poor brand, or just an unknown one?

I've looked at a bunch of other vendors, too, but keep wondering about quality. Don't want to fork over that chunk of change without some first-hand accounts.

So... any recommendations (and why) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
BadgeBunny

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BadgeBunny is on a distinguished road

I do know of one couple who placed an order with Emergency Essentials and they were very happy with what they got. I don't have any first-hand experience with them and their pails yet. That is one of the things on my to-do list this fall when we have some money freed up. Not real sure how happy the UPS guy is gonna be with me though ...

If you have any specific questions just let me know and I will ask them.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
BasecampUSA
Sr. Homesteader

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BasecampUSA is on a distinguished road

Many times in the past I have simply bought untreated wheat seed (to store, grind and bake with) from ag coops cheaper than from other sources.

You can also ask an ag extention agent who grows locally, and call some to see if they will sell a ton or so to you (and your friends).
This is what we did here in maine last year and got 2500# organic hard red wheatberries delivered on a pallet for $0.47/lb... makes the
most awesome bread I've tasted.

We planted some the year before, but it was a bad year (too much moisture). This year I have 1.5 acres planted with wheat, spelt and rye which we will harvest, Lord willing, in July by hand - I have an antique scythe with a grain cradle, and flails to thresh with.

Question 1: - how can you buy anything from an LDS warehouse without being a member of their church?

Question 2: - where can you get hull-less oat varieties to plant? Regular oats can't be hulled without special machinery.

- Basey

Last edited by BasecampUSA; 01-05-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4401 Times on 1765 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

I know it won't do you any good, but we get ours from our local feed store in 50# sacks for $10. Not only can it be stored for making flour in the future, it can also be planted.
It's not going to be nice and clean the way it is in the #10 cans, but at that price I'll put up with a few dead bugs and some chaff.

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
BadgeBunny

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BadgeBunny is on a distinguished road

Basey,

I can't help you with question no. 2 but I think I know the answer to question no. 1.

Most LDS canneries will can for non-members. It varies from location to location and I noticed the local LDS cannery has started restricting non-members to certain days and times. Just look on-line for a cannery in your area and give them a call. They are really very helpful.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1270 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 1622

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

Johnny's seed company (online or print catalog) has hull-less oats for planting.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
goshengirl
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Basey, here's the link to look up your nearest LDS canning center: Welfare locations

Thanks BadgeBunny - I've 'heard' (read) good things about EE too. Right now just checking out people's experiences - I'll let you know if I have specific questions - thanks!

And thanks, Uncle Joe and Basey - I should have thought of those places, too. Ironically, we lease aggie land in Montana to a farmer who grew winter red this past year, but sold our share. I'm having one of those "duh!" moments, because I know he would have gladly held out some barrels for us out of our share of the crop. Although with the economy and our financial situation, I have no idea when we'd ever get back to MT to pick up anything again...

Anyways... I know a couple feed stores to check out. But I think to break into this thing I feel more comfortable with the triple-cleaned superpail option. (rookie wimp that I am) But Basey, once I get DH on board I'd love to have 1.5 acres planted - that's fantastic!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #8
BasecampUSA
Sr. Homesteader

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BasecampUSA is on a distinguished road

Thank you badgebunny, gypsysue and goshen girl... Huh! - I worked for Johnny's one winter in late 70's doing maintenance work... didn't know they had hulless oats! - I want to grow my own Scotch oatmeal - YUM!

I got an invite to "can" at an LDS "canning bee" session 10 years ago by an LDS co-worker of mine, but we had to drive 80 miles to buy a pickup + uhaul load of bulk foods and cans at a huge warehouse first, and you HAD to be a member to buy there.

Incredible what they had there at the "Bishops' Warehouse"... all in bulk and at reasonable prices. Many of them began to seal bulk foods in mylar bags, but if you have just ONE mouse on the loose, it will bite a slew of packages open! Nowadays I have so many hundreds of canning jars that I have collected, that I just use them with 1 oxy-adsorber pack. I keep them in the dark cool rootcellar anyway.

I grew up with Mormons... pretty decent folks! Our house / gun shop was located between 2 Mormon ranchers on the Colorado-Utah border, and I took care of thier horses when they went to Salt Lake City once a month.

- Basey

Last edited by BasecampUSA; 01-05-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
CulexPipiens
Still waiting for the zombies.

Liked 1003 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 745

CulexPipiens is on a distinguished road

Bobs Red Mill has 25lb bags. Not as good as some of the other sources listed here ($15.62... about .60 per lb) but it doesn't require any cleaning, etc. It's also a common brand that I've seen in many stores so they might be willing to order it for you with their normal order which would probably avoid any shipping charges. It can't hurt to ask.

Soft White Wheat Berries - Bob's Red Mill

They also have the Hard Red for $18 and change per 25lb bag or $19 and change if you want Organic.

Obviously you'll need to do something to make it ready for LTS. Mylar, buckets, cans, etc.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
goshengirl
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CulexPipiens View Post
Bobs Red Mill has 25lb bags. Not as good as some of the other sources listed here ($15.62... about .60 per lb) but it doesn't require any cleaning, etc. It's also a common brand that I've seen in many stores so they might be willing to order it for you with their normal order which would probably avoid any shipping charges. It can't hurt to ask.
That's a great idea about the shipping. (I just checked, online their cheapest shipping option for two 25lb bags is $48.78 to my zip code - and that's the cost of shipping only - yikes!) I like all their different products - didn't realize they had some larger options online. Might be able to work out something with the local grocer who carries their line. Thanks for the tip!

And yep, I'm thinking that getting bags (50lb or 25lb) and putting the wheat into my own buckets is the way to go (got buckets w/ gamma lids, and oxy absorbers, and mylar bags don't cost that much).

Tags
bulk food, food storage

Quick Reply