Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > Shelf Life of Peanut Butter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Sonnyjim
Prepping

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Sonnyjim is on a distinguished road
Default Shelf Life of Peanut Butter

It seems like the going rate for peanut butter is 2 years. Some people say as long as up to 5 years before the oil goes rancid. In our military rations it comes with peanut butter in small packages. I have eaten a 6 year old ration with peanut butter and it was still good. Most of the butter is pretty dry and does not have a lot of oil in it. I know that it is the oil that is the fat needed but what about pouring off/using the oil before it's life and re-canning what's left for another few years? Any thoughts? I might have a little project on my hands....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
sailaway
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 284 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 383

sailaway is an unknown quantity at this point

The oldest peanut butter I have eaten was 2 1/2 years old and it was ok.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1159 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 1359

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

The canned peanut butter in metal cans or foil packs seems to last the longest, followed by peanut butter in glass jars. Plastic jars have the shortest shelf life.

Other things factor in too, such as light and heat. If you keep the peanut butter in a cold, dark place, it lasts a lot longer. Heat, light, and air are the enemies of all edible oils.

I don't know if draining off the oil and re-canning would help. Logic says it would, if the floating oil is the majority of the fat content. When you opened it to eat it, I would think it could be thinned out with a little oil stirred into it. It probably wouldn't even matter which kind of oil you used?

People Like This 
Old 12-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 827 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysue View Post
It probably wouldn't even matter which kind of oil you used?
as long as it's NOT motor oil!

You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.

People Like This 
Old 12-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1159 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 1359

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
as long as it's NOT motor oil!

Depends if it's YOUR family you're feeding or the roving hordes...

(just kidding, for those who need to know that! lol)
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
PintoBob

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

PintoBob is on a distinguished road

Edible oils are subject to rancidity with a limited shelf life. Another word used to describe this is Oxidation. Remove the oxygen and the problem is solved. I use two methods to accomplish this. I store oil foods in sealed Mason jars that have had all the atmosphere removed down to 29.9999" hg. It's not a perfect vacuum but in my experience it's close enough for my work. Remember that only 20% of the atmosphere is oxygen. The rest is mostly Nitrogen which is a good thing. An easier method to accomplish nearly the same thing but in the average home situation is to use O2 absorbers which I also do a lot. I would guess using a 2 qt Mason jar with a 300cc O2 absorber would do the trick. But with peanut butter I'd put the O2 absorber into a zip lock bag that has many little holes punched into the top of it, the part that contacts the lid seal. In this manner the O2 absorber would never contact the oily food but would still have access to the environment within the sealed jar. An O2 absorber consists of powdered iron filings which absorb oxygen when they rust or oxidize. I use this and/or the first method for stored nuts, roasted coffee beans, olive oil (which is also wrapped in tin foil to keep light out and kept cool) etc.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
ronald_stufflebeam

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ronald_stufflebeam is on a distinguished road
Default Dead food keeps longer.

The length of time peanut butter will keep depends on the type. If it's a commercial brand like Skippy or Jiff which are full of chemicals to help preserve it's good at least 1 year probably much longer opened on the shelf. I have yet to see it go bad in the refrigerator.
If it's an organic peanut butter your better off keeping it in a refrigerator or at the very least a root cellar. Natural, organic or fresh ground by yourself is best kept in a refrigerator where it will keep for 6 months. If you cant keep it in the refrigerator the next best way would be a root cellar where it stay good for probably at least 3 months.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
weedygarden

Liked 1173 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 5063

weedygarden is on a distinguished road

My personal experience is that once the jar is opened, it loses shelf life much more quickly. I once saw that someone kept their peanut butter in the refrigerator. I have never done that, but I thought about how p.b. does go rancid more quickly after it is opened and maybe I should do that. It will be stiff from being cold, but even letting an amount for a serving sit out for a little while would help with spreading.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
JayJay

Liked 892 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 7

JayJay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_stufflebeam View Post
The length of time peanut butter will keep depends on the type. If it's a commercial brand like Skippy or Jiff which are full of chemicals to help preserve it's good at least 1 year probably much longer opened on the shelf. I have yet to see it go bad in the refrigerator.
If it's an organic peanut butter your better off keeping it in a refrigerator or at the very least a root cellar. Natural, organic or fresh ground by yourself is best kept in a refrigerator where it will keep for 6 months. If you cant keep it in the refrigerator the next best way would be a root cellar where it stay good for probably at least 3 months.
I'm eating PB I have had for 5 years!!
You guys make me laugh some times.

'God charts our path; it is we who must take it'

People Like This 
Old 02-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
weedygarden

Liked 1173 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 5063

weedygarden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I'm eating PB I have had for 5 years!!
You guys make me laugh some times.
THanks, JayJay, I was just thinking about some peanut butter that I know is 4 years old in my basement! I am so glad that you posted this. I have never been so much about expiration dates on non refrigerated foods. I read the date, use the sniff test, and then maybe the taste test. I know that not everyone can do this, but I can. When SHTF, it may change things up for what people can and can't do.

Tags
peanut butter, shelf life

Quick Reply