Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > root cellars in Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
sgtrunningfool

Liked 55 Times on 33 Posts

sgtrunningfool is on a distinguished road
Default root cellars in Texas

It seems that in almost every root cellar discussion someone mentions they can't have one because they live in Texas. Is this true and why? I am moving to the San Angelo area and would like to build one. I was wondering if this is myth. Thank you

-------------------------------------------
http://thesustainabilitysergeant.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Country Living
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1481 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Country Living is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrunningfool View Post
It seems that in almost every root cellar discussion someone mentions they can't have one because they live in Texas. Is this true and why? I am moving to the San Angelo area and would like to build one. I was wondering if this is myth. Thank you
Heat and humidity. Terrible combination.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
PackerBacker
ExCommunicated

Liked 632 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 668

PackerBacker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Living View Post
Heat and humidity. Terrible combination.
What about them though? That's why you can't have a root cellar?

It's not hot under ground and humidity is your friend for a root cellar.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Boomy
Archive of Useless Knowledge

Liked 532 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Boomy is on a distinguished road

My area is high water tables and ???????
There are no basements from Houston to the Valley. North of us, I don't know.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
GaryS

Liked 464 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 88

GaryS is on a distinguished road

Not many basements in East Texas, but there is no reason you couldn't build a root cellar. There are many underground storm cellars all over the state. However, I would use concrete, seal it well, and provide powered ventilation. And don't place it in a low spot, as torrential rains are common here in summer.

Long, hot summers will heat the soil much deeper than in northern states, so you won't have as much natural cooling as is desireable.

One final comment. We have nearly every poisonous critter in the country somewhere in our state, and they love to find cool places during the hot months. I've seen scorpions squeeze under a door that has full weatherstripping around it, and I once found a 15" copperhead slithering down a hallway in the house. I have no idea how he got in, but he found a way...big mistake for him! A blindsnake also found his way in, but he was probably small enough to squeeze by the weatherstripping.

The new house we just built has a concrete "safe room" in the center of the house that functions as a storm cellar and pantry. It's isolated from the central heat and air, but attached to the slab, so it should be cooler than the rest of the house, and it has no opening to the outside that might invite unwelcome visitors to cool off.

People Like This 
Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
cowboyhermit
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 3417 Times on 1717 Posts
Likes Given: 2577

cowboyhermit is on a distinguished road

Thank you for making this thread, I just asked the question in another one and then saw it asked in another one yet.
I posted this in the other thread but anyways, a root cellar does NOT need to be below ground level. Even in places where digging was easy many root cellars were constructed above ground for various reasons, the main one being water table issues imo. To build one above ground requires a lot of material but the work very well.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
catsraven
Meoww

Liked 224 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 409

catsraven is on a distinguished road

Clay soils that expand and contract. Texans have a hard time with foundations cracking because of it. When its been dry you can see the ground crack and see quite deep down into the ground. High water table in some places and lime stone bedrock close to the surface.

emilysometimes Likes This 
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
emilysometimes

Liked 75 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 612

emilysometimes is on a distinguished road

Hardly anyone in Texas has a basement due to the soil conditions Catsraven mentioned. That being said, my grandparents and great-grandparents built root cellars/ storm cellars on their land. Both are still there and in decent shape after close to 100 years but they are FULL of black widows and scorpions.

“We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.”
― Douglas Adams

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald Ford

People Like This 
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
cowboyhermit
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 3417 Times on 1717 Posts
Likes Given: 2577

cowboyhermit is on a distinguished road

It seems to be a matter of it being difficult to construct a below ground structure for various reasons, obviously it is possible but not easy. Also you will not reach as cool a temperature as more temperate climates, still much cooler in the summer and a stable temperature. None of the problems mentioned with below ground construction relate to above ground root cellars though.
For what it's worth it is not very easy to build a root cellar this far north either, frost line can go down past 6 feet

Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
Caribou

Liked 2463 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 3522

Caribou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhermit View Post
It seems to be a matter of it being difficult to construct a below ground structure for various reasons, obviously it is possible but not easy. Also you will not reach as cool a temperature as more temperate climates, still much cooler in the summer and a stable temperature. None of the problems mentioned with below ground construction relate to above ground root cellars though.
For what it's worth it is not very easy to build a root cellar this far north either, frost line can go down past 6 feet
I know what you mean Cowboy. Frost line around here can go down up to 400 feet. (Not a typo)

Quick Reply