Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > How to Can Butter!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
IrritatedWithUS

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

IrritatedWithUS is on a distinguished road
Default How to Can Butter!

How to Can Your Own Butter!!

fgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgf.jpg
(liquified just-canned butter)
Canned butter can last 3-4 years

1. Make your own butter or you can use any butter that is on sale. Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but the results are the same as with the expensive brands.

2. Heat pint jars in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you melt 11 pounds of butter, heat 12 pint jars. A roasting pan works well for holding the pint jars while in the oven.

3. While the jars are heating, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil. Using a large spatula, stir the bottom of the pot often to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes at least: a good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required (see #5 below). Place the lids in a small pot and bring to a boil, leaving the lids in simmering water until needed.

4. Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle or small pot with a handle, pour the melted butter carefully into heated jars through a canning jar funnel. Leave 3/4" of head space in the jar, which allows room for the shaking process.

5. Carefully wipe off the top of the jars, then get a hot lid from the simmering water, add the lid and ring and tighten securely. Lids will seal as they cool. Once a few lids "ping," shake while the jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter will separate and become foamy on top and white on the bottom. In a few minutes, shake again, and repeat until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar.

6. At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again, and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give the jars a little shake until they are hardened in the jar! Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.

7. Canned butter should store for 3 years or longer on a cool, dark shelf. [It does last a long time. We have just used up the last of the butter we canned in 1999, and it was fine after 5 years.] Canned butter does not "melt" again when opened, so it does not need to be refrigerated upon opening, provided it is used within a reasonable length of time.

Tip: Either make your own butter or buy butter on sale a few at a time and keep in the freezer until you can make a dozen or so jars. That way you aren't paying one high price at a store for 11 or so pounds of butter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1184 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

I just canned butter last week. I've been canning butter for a few years, using instructions I got off another website.

The way I do it is I cube the butter into the jars, then place them in a pan of boiling water. As the butter melts I cube off more butter into the jars until they're full. Meanwhile I've had canning lids simmering in a pan nearby. I wipe the rims, put on a lid and ring, and place them in my waterbath canner, which has also been simmering nearby. When all the jars are in the canner I add enough boiling water to cover them at least half an inch over the tops. I leave them in there for 30 minutes to an hour (two different websites, two different times given). I take them out and set them on a towel, and after they cool enough to touch, I pick them up now and then and turn them upside down and back up. One of the directions had said not to shake them, just to turn them up and down to mix the oil back into the butter. I do that every so often until it's thick enough and cool enough it won't separate again.

It's important to keep the jars in a dark place. Light makes oils taste funny, and they become rancid faster.

I also canned cheddar cheese and creamed cheese last week. Pretty much the same way, only you don't have to turn the jars because the cheese doesn't separate. Cheddar cheese hardens again as it cools. I use a wide-mouth jar, and when we go to use the cheese, I warm the outside in hot water, then slide the cheese out. Slice off what I need and slide it back into the jar. After it's opened it should be stored in the refrigerator.

Cream cheese cans very nicely, and you can just scoop it out as you use it.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
gypsysue
The wanderer

This is the butter while still hot, between "shaking". See how it's separated. (In background is some of the cheddar cheese I canned)

This is the butter after it was cooled. It won't separate again now. Time to wash the jars off and put them in a dark, cool cabinet, or in our case, in the root cellar.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
goshengirl
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2854 Times on 1300 Posts
Likes Given: 9400

goshengirl is on a distinguished road

This is fantastic! Thank you both!

I bought a boatload of butter before Christmas when it was on a huge discount (along with all the other cookie-baking ingredients) and put it in the freezer. I'd much rather have it canned and not dependent on electricity to store! Never occurred to me that it could be canned, and cheese too.

I now have a new project.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Frugal_Farmers
Good ole country folk

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Frugal_Farmers is on a distinguished road

Awesome stuff--we are going to have to try this.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
JayJay
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 1031 Times on 593 Posts
Likes Given: 7

JayJay is on a distinguished road

I canned twice...it's really pretty when cooled.
I just let it cool a bit and turned upside down...every few minutes I do it again...and I did discover with the last batch...shaking when hot is useless..

Wait till it cools and start shaking.

I'll try the refrigerator step next time.

no electricity?? I still have butter.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
BadgeBunny

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

BadgeBunny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysue View Post
I just canned butter last week. I've been canning butter for a few years, using instructions I got off another website.

The way I do it is I cube the butter into the jars, then place them in a pan of boiling water. As the butter melts I cube off more butter into the jars until they're full. Meanwhile I've had canning lids simmering in a pan nearby. I wipe the rims, put on a lid and ring, and place them in my waterbath canner, which has also been simmering nearby. When all the jars are in the canner I add enough boiling water to cover them at least half an inch over the tops. I leave them in there for 30 minutes to an hour (two different websites, two different times given). I take them out and set them on a towel, and after they cool enough to touch, I pick them up now and then and turn them upside down and back up. One of the directions had said not to shake them, just to turn them up and down to mix the oil back into the butter. I do that every so often until it's thick enough and cool enough it won't separate again.

It's important to keep the jars in a dark place. Light makes oils taste funny, and they become rancid faster.

I also canned cheddar cheese and creamed cheese last week. Pretty much the same way, only you don't have to turn the jars because the cheese doesn't separate. Cheddar cheese hardens again as it cools. I use a wide-mouth jar, and when we go to use the cheese, I warm the outside in hot water, then slide the cheese out. Slice off what I need and slide it back into the jar. After it's opened it should be stored in the refrigerator.

Cream cheese cans very nicely, and you can just scoop it out as you use it.

Seriously??!?!!?!?

I am soooo happy now!!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
gypsysue
The wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
Seriously??!?!!?!?

I am soooo happy now!!
Yes, seriously! Canning cheese is so easy! Cream cheese is the easiest! Soften it, then stuff it in the jars. Then water-bath can it! You don't even need an actual water-bath canner. Any kettle with some kind of rack in the bottom to lift the jars off the very bottom of the kettle, will work. Like I said, just spoon it out when you use it. Either to spread on bagels or whatever, or to make cheesecake. I use some in my mashed potatoes, too, in place of about 1/3 of the butter I normally put in. Makes it very tasty.

I bought 20 blocks of cream cheese on sale for .77 before Christmas, and I've canned most of them.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
BadgeBunny

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

BadgeBunny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysue View Post
Yes, seriously! Canning cheese is so easy! Cream cheese is the easiest! Soften it, then stuff it in the jars. Then water-bath can it! You don't even need an actual water-bath canner. Any kettle with some kind of rack in the bottom to lift the jars off the very bottom of the kettle, will work. Like I said, just spoon it out when you use it. Either to spread on bagels or whatever, or to make cheesecake. I use some in my mashed potatoes, too, in place of about 1/3 of the butter I normally put in. Makes it very tasty.

I bought 20 blocks of cream cheese on sale for .77 before Christmas, and I've canned most of them.
I would rather have cream cheese than butter but the hubby eats butter, not cream cheese ... so ... you know how it goes LOL. This way I could can it in those little jars and not have to worry about spoilage. This is great!!

Do you know how long it keeps canned?? If not, it's cool ... I can break out my "google-foo" ...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
glendasplace

glendasplace is on a distinguished road

I've always wanted to try to can cheese but everything I find says you can't any info would be fabulous!!

Tags
food preparation, food storage

Quick Reply