Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > food left out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
thegroove

thegroove is on a distinguished road
Default food left out

The other day I left out some deer sausage overnight, it was frozen when i left it on the counter and wrapped in plastic / butcher paper. If I cook it thoroughly can I still eat it? My roommates claim it has gone "bad" now. This would be useful knowledge in case power goes out and food starts going bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
live2offroad

live2offroad is on a distinguished road

My .02

There are a number of variables but I'd say smell it. It's been covered and started out frozen, so unless it smells off, I'd say rinse it off, cook it and enjoy. We are a nation way to afraid of "bad Food". Folks ate, and well, for a looong time before the refrigeration age. Just use a little common sense, if it smells bad (and it's not supposed to) don't eat it..

-Peter

Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
billythekid

billythekid is on a distinguished road

I have left out sausage and ate them the next day (after pan-frying to a rediculous blackish color)

Old 10-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
JeepHammer

Liked 39 Times on 26 Posts

JeepHammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroove View Post
The other day I left out some deer sausage overnight, it was frozen when i left it on the counter and wrapped in plastic / butcher paper. If I cook it thoroughly can I still eat it? My roommates claim it has gone "bad" now. This would be useful knowledge in case power goes out and food starts going bad.
Sausage was originally made to PRESERVE the meat/food for later consumpsion.

Modern versions of 'Sausage' doesn't have the cooked or smoked, or salted preservation that earlier sausage did, but it takes quite a while to go 'Bad'...

If it was frozen when you laid it out, you should be safe.
'Deer' or 'Beef' sausage won't have the problems 'Pork', 'Bear', or any kind of Pickerel animal would have uncooked, so again, you should be safe.

I have Deer made into 'Summer Sausage' and I don't refrigerate it at all, just seal it up in vacuum bags and hang it in the Cellar, but I DO use the old time recipes where the meat is salted and smoked before it's tubed.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2489 Times on 1334 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Standard "survival" instinct should take over when it comes to food. Meat will take on a scent that is normally repulsive to our senses. If the meat is still good, your stomach will tell you on the first sniff. If something feels wrong when you sniff, it is borderline good - cook very well.

If you feel like you are going to puke when you sniff-test the meat - toss it into the fire-pit and char it. Once the fire cools down, throw the char'd meat out with the ashes.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Ebin

Ebin is on a distinguished road

Great advice Naekid! I couldn't have put it better myself, actually.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
Lucy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lucy is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is old, but no food left out at room temps. for more than 2 hours is safe to eat. Bacteria multiplies so fast. It will multiply in the food every 15 min. or so. If you take something with a bacteria count of 100, for example, in 15 min. there will be ten times that much !
You can't see the bacteria or smell it for it to give you salmonella, listeria, any of those fun things. You can wind up in the bathroom for days or in the hospital. It can take even several weeks until you get sick from a food. It can lay in your system that long.
By the time you see any signs of spoilage it is WAY bad.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
jebrown
jebrown

Liked 26 Times on 11 Posts

jebrown is on a distinguished road

If the meat was frozen, it would have to thaw and come to room temperature for two hours before bacteria can start to grow.
Two hours is a guideline determined by ambient temperatures. The warmer the room the quicker it will spoil. Lower room temperaturews will allow it to take longer for bacteria to grow.
Smell it. If it wreaks throw it out. If it has an odor but not too strong in realtionship to it if it is refrigerator cold, cook it done, then smell it again. If it doesn't have strong odor, taste it but do not swallow. If it tastes ok, then it is safe to eat.
I have been advised and edcuated in this area time and again for mass Care and Sheter Operations with the Red Cross as well as a professional cook.
This is an area of great concern in a feeding operation during a disaster. You can receive a lot of donated meat in various conditions of refrigeration and freezing.
If you are ever in doubt, take no chances on your health and that of others and throw it out.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Canadian
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 125 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Canadian is on a distinguished road

If it was frozen solid it probably took most of the night for the sausage to thaw out so I'd say it was safe to eat that morning for breakfast.

Sausage and other types of ground meat are the most likely to cause illness. The reason why is that if you have a normal piece of meat the only part of it that is exposed to air and bacteria is the surface. You can carve off the exterior and the meat underneath will not have been exposed to the air.

In fact some of the best tasting meat is dry or wet aged for a month or more. The most common method is dry aging. I've had thirty day dry aged organic strip loin and it's the best thing on the planet. I get mine here:

Cumbrae's

Of course the aging has to be done in the proper fashion. Not just letting things sit on the counter.

Ground meats are dangerous because you are adding small pockets of air and bacteria into the meat and then letting it sit. That's why undercooked ground beef kills so many people each year. Pockets of air and bacteria mixed into a pile of meat and left to sit.

Get a thermometer and test the temperature if you're worried. Ecoli bacteria dies at 70 degrees C so I cook all meats in my home to 71 degrees C to make my wife happy. She won't eat meat otherwise.

I have this thermometer: (Mine is metric because I'm Canadian)

I wouldn't cook without one.

If you're really scared just boil the sausage until it reaches 100 degrees C.

If anything smells bad or looks bad don't eat it.

Peace!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
Lucy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lucy is on a distinguished road

The surface of the meat would thaw and start to grow bacteria. Any ground meat will grow bacteria faster due to the many surface areas, as opposed to a solid piece of meat.
I also use the Thermopen. Love it ! Worth the money, I feel.

Tags
food safety

Quick Reply