Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > Canning Persimmon Pulp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
DrewDrew

DrewDrew is on a distinguished road
Default Canning Persimmon Pulp

Can persimmon pulp be canned? If so, I assume water bath canning? How long? Any other advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
lisat

lisat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDrew View Post
Can persimmon pulp be canned? If so, I assume water bath canning? How long? Any other advice?
DrewDrew
Persimmons can be canned but they are just too mushy to do too much with. If you have the Asian type they are more firm and you can make jam or marmalade with them. I have two trees and just hated to see them go to waste. They smell and taste delicious but just don't have a firm flesh to do much with. I did find out they were planted for the horses, they love them and possibly for cross pollinating like the crabapples were planted for. Here is a link to some persimmon preserving ideas. Good luck.
[URL="http://members.aol.com/BLaneKY/persimm.htm"]http://members.aol.com/BLaneKY/persimm.htm

Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
TechAdmin
Administrator
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 228 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 124

TechAdmin has disabled reputation

Have to admit I haven't heard it before lol.

What do they taste like?

Old 10-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
lisat

lisat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Have to admit I haven't heard it before lol.

What do they taste like?
They have a unique flavor like a nectar. Reminds me of honeysuckle nectar. The flesh just isn't edible in my opinion. The consistancy is like an overripe mushy plum.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #5
Sean

Sean is on a distinguished road

persimmon pulp can be substituted into any recipe for flavored bread (ie zucchini). There are also several delicious cookie recipes that use persimmon.

Medically....In traditional Chinese medicine the fruit regulates ch'i.
The raw fruit is used to treat constipation and hemorrhoids, and to stop bleeding. As such, it is not a good idea to consume too many persimmons at once- they can induce diarrhea.
The cooked fruit is used to treat diarrhea and dysentery

The fruits of some persimmon varieties contain the tannins catechin and gallocatechin, as well as the anti-tumor compounds betulinic acid and shibuol, although the latter may also cause gastrointestinal problems.

Tags
canning persimmons, food preservation, persimmon

Quick Reply