Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > Canning Cole Slaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
timmie
timmie

Liked 161 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 592

timmie is on a distinguished road

jackie clay has an excellent recipe for amish coleslaw. i tried it and my family loves it.you can find the recipe in her growing and canning your own food book and on her website.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
kappydell

Liked 368 Times on 184 Posts

kappydell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davarm View Post
kappy, they shoulda asked you first on this one, I bought the head of cabbage to try to come up with a recipe/procedure myself but it is still in the chill chest, untouched, never got around to it. My binder is getting full of your recipes, keep em coming.

As far as the canning cabbage and its stong taste, "I" for one like cabbage that tastes like cabbage. I will can just about anything once then keep on doing it if I like the way it comes out. Ive even canned cake, bread and rice.
Yup, cabbage is supposed to taste like cabbage. I also can turnips (pickled), cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. The only thing I cant can so far is broccoli - it gets off colored and odd tasting. But anything else, just about, I will can. From soup to nuts, and beyond.....

Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
kappydell

Liked 368 Times on 184 Posts

kappydell is on a distinguished road

Oh YES! it is yummy - a smorgasboard in a town I used to live inserved it (kraut salad) and it was very popular!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4092 Times on 1942 Posts
Likes Given: 1883

Davarm is on a distinguished road

I've canned turnips, cut up a few greens in with em and they are pretty good, that is, if you like them, and I do. I have pickled plenty of cauliflower but never canned it.

I have canned Broccoli Broth, when I pick broccoli, the ends that are starting to get tough, and any flowers that have bloomed get boiled down and I strain the pulp out, put he liquid in jars and throw it into the pressure cooker. I like cream of broccoli soup and it makes a decent base for it, it can have a little off flavor but if you are careful and use fresh broccoli crowns along with the broth it can come out pretty good. I was raised to waste nothing and old habits are sometimes hard to break.

A lot of people find it a bit odd that a big gruff grandpa takes the time to can his garden produce, but I have been around canning and stocking up for the winter all my life and I am trying to teach my daughters how to do it so I wont have to anymore.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Hotrod352000

Hotrod352000 is on a distinguished road

We made a similar canned Cole slaw recipe pulled out some that is 18 months old. Still tasted fresh and crispy. We put a bit more vinegar in it. Home made apple cider vinegar.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
timmie
timmie

Liked 161 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 592

timmie is on a distinguished road

Jackie clay has a recipe for amish coleslaw. will post the recipe later.

Quick Reply