Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Food and Foraging Discussion > Bone Broth : Benefits, Recipes, Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
DJgang
I put SAs on IGNORE!

Liked 1240 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

DJgang is on a distinguished road
Default Bone Broth : Benefits, Recipes, Information

Quote:
Winter is the ideal time for nourishing the Kidneys, and soup is the perfect winter food. Bone broth is prepared in cultures around the world as both a tasty, healthful soup and an easily digested medicinal food. The prolonged cooking of bones in water results in a broth rich in nutritional constituents that promote strength, tonify blood, nourish in times of sickness and rehabilitation, and help to prevent bone and connective tissue disorders.

Found here:

http://www.jadeinstitute.com/jade/bone-broth-health-building.php

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
AnonyManx
Mama? Mama? MAMA! MAMAAA!

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts

AnonyManx is on a distinguished road

I'm a member of the Weston A Price Foundation, and at this moment am at 36000 ft in an airplane on my way home from their annual "wise traditions" conference. This year's main theme was "nutrition and behavior", but the emphasis is always on traditional nutrition. This means no refined foods, very little sugars, and only properly-prepared grains (if any). There's a lot of overlap between WAPF traditional nutrition and pale. A major emphasis is on bone broth and organ meats. Anyone looking for good homemade soup recipes should look for traditional nutrition blogs - there are a ton of them. One of my favorites is http://nourishedkitchen.com and she has links to a lot of other good ones.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
DJgang
I put SAs on IGNORE!

How ironic, I just was researching what to do with my beef bones in the freezer, a friend of mine "swears" by her free range chicken broth....

Thanks for your post!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
DJgang
I put SAs on IGNORE!

Well, yum!

http://holdthesugar.mcclearyfamily.com/beefy-cabbage-soup/

Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
cnsper

Liked 1281 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 410

cnsper is on a distinguished road

Soups and stews are probably the easiest to make but in addition to that, my grandpa used to take the marrow and spread it on bread if there was any left in the bone. You get iron and other nutrients from the marrow and calcium from the bones. (yes some does leach out)

**When government expands, liberty contracts - Ronald Regan
**If ignorance were gun powder, you would be a weapon of mass destruction.
**Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. ~Frank Leahy

DJgang Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4349 Times on 1745 Posts
Likes Given: 2316

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJgang View Post
How ironic, I just was researching what to do with my beef bones in the freezer,
Cook 'em down and can the broth. I've just started doing that.

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.
People Like This 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
DJgang
I put SAs on IGNORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJoe View Post
Cook 'em down and can the broth. I've just started doing that.
You bet! I'm waiting on days of cold so I can keep the wood stove rolling and I'm going to load my stove up with stock pots. I've got a lot! Then I'm going to can it all up. It will be a three day process but I think will be well worth it.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
AnonyManx
Mama? Mama? MAMA! MAMAAA!

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts

AnonyManx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsper
Soups and stews are probably the easiest to make but in addition to that, my grandpa used to take the marrow and spread it on bread if there was any left in the bone. You get iron and other nutrients from the marrow and calcium from the bones. (yes some does leach out)
The broth gets better mineral content from the bones if you add some vinegar (about 1/2 c either white or cider) to the water.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
kyredneck
Family Gopher

Liked 196 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 410

kyredneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonyManx View Post
I'm a member of the Weston A Price Foundation, and at this moment am at 36000 ft in an airplane on my way home from their annual "wise traditions" conference. This year's main theme was "nutrition and behavior", but the emphasis is always on traditional nutrition. This means no refined foods, very little sugars, and only properly-prepared grains (if any). There's a lot of overlap between WAPF traditional nutrition and pale. A major emphasis is on bone broth and organ meats. Anyone looking for good homemade soup recipes should look for traditional nutrition blogs - there are a ton of them. One of my favorites is http://nourishedkitchen.com and she has links to a lot of other good ones.
Hello there AM! Sally Fallon's 'Nourishing Traditions' ranks right up there in my top ten favorites, outstanding food wisdom contained therein. Besides reading the excellent information on the way other cultures around the world have prepared food, I reference the book 2-3 times weekly for recipes, cooking, preserving, fermenting, etc. Love her book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonyManx View Post
The broth gets better mineral content from the bones if you add some vinegar (about 1/2 c either white or cider) to the water.
I slow cooked a 25# turkey (regetfully NOT free range, but) over night and spent the morning deboning and divvying out and finally got to my favorite part..... THE CARCASS! Into the slow cooker it went (and is still there) to simmer overnight (again) covered with water and a couple tablespoons of cider vinegar, some S & P, and tommorrow I'll screen the bones out, and toss some fresh cut up veggies and WW noodles and SHAZAAM! Turkey carcass soup! It's great stuff!

Anyhoo, I've a friend who's taking chemo treatments and her appetite is not so good right now and I'm taking her most of the soup. I figger if she can get anything down it'll be this.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

DJgang Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
DJgang
I put SAs on IGNORE!

I've been doing the same thing with chicken. Slow cook all day long, pull off white meat for a meal that day, the carcass goes on for at least 24 or 32 hours, bay leaf and onions. And I've been making a chicken soup base. Rich broth and meat, then when you get ready, make it into any type of chicken soup you may want.

Your friend will enjoy that I am sure and good minerals for her. She needs it since going through Chemo.

Quick Reply