Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > Where is the safest place to live?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #41
tsrwivey
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3386 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 10006

tsrwivey is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=weedygarden;73749]EARTHQUAKES: HURRICANES:[/B][/U] The "South" is out due to hurricanes. That would include Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas. What about the eastern seaboard? Isn't that affected by hurricanes also? The Carolinas, Virginia, more?

Hurricanes quickly lose force once they hit landfall. I live about 300 miles from the coast & all we get from the hurricanes is rain, thunderstorms, & evacuees.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #42
Biscuit

Biscuit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedygarden View Post
Given all the turmoil that goes on in our nation and world, I am wondering if someone know of a study or theory out there of where the safest places are to locate in the U.S., or even the world, and on the other hand, what states, areas, or countries are best to stay away from. And why? Some states might have good areas and others to avoid.
You can't seriously think that it's possible to generalize, and lump an entire states' worth of people and geography into any ONE category? Just like groups of people, you can divide them by gender, race, background, and there will be *some* shared characteristics... but by and by, all humans are individuals and all areas have their own flavor and uniqueness.

I roll my eyes when people (who apparently have never set foot in any part of California, north or south) claim "California is out because of all those earthquakes." While southern CA has some earthquakes, something like 9 million people seem to handle it just fine. My reasons for not wanting to live in southern CA would be...those other 9 million people.

I live outside of Sacramento, in northern CA, and grew up in Sacramento. The last time I felt an earthquake was a VERY small one, and that was in the mid-70's, 35+ years ago. So please, people...enough with the "OMG, earthquakes!" I'd be more afraid of tornadoes, which are happening even here now.

This is just an example, to exemplify that you can't judge an entire state by a generalization.

Do your homework, visit the places you're considering. And if you're considering CA, know that we're not all "beaches and movie stars." Our state is the same size as Switzerland, big enough to contain 5 states. In fact, we contain another state The state of Jefferson.

And then there's Texas. Texas is like it's own COUNTRY for crying' out loud! The east is part of the old south, the west is part of the "frontier", ad in the middle you've got everything in between (and not to mention some damn fine BBQ). 268,601 square miles...I dare you to fit ALL of it into just ONE category.

Do your homework, visit the places you're considering.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #43
DJgang
I put SAs on IGNORE!

Liked 1238 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

DJgang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
One way to find out for sure.........Disconnect your AC for two weeks. Car and house and office.

While I've always had the convience of AC, it's not hard to figure out that we in the SOUTH survived without AC. mother Nature has a way of preparing us and it's called Spring. slowly, ever so gently the weather warms up and before you know it, it's 100 degrees with 90% humidity, people work in that every single day.....we could live without it.

Anyway, heat is not a reason not to live in the south. We have four seasons, we can grow lots....

Just sitting in the heat won't kill ya, but sitting in the cold can, that's my thoughts.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #44
ZoomZoom
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 4825 Times on 1197 Posts
Likes Given: 751

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJgang View Post
Just sitting in the heat won't kill ya, but sitting in the cold can, that's my thoughts.
You can dress for the cold but can't dress enough for the heat.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #45
Woody
Woodchuck
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2145 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 2169

Woody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
While I've always had the convience of AC, it's not hard to figure out that we in the SOUTH survived without AC. mother Nature has a way of preparing us and it's called Spring. slowly, ever so gently the weather warms up and before you know it, it's 100 degrees with 90% humidity, people work in that every single day.....we could live without it.

I'm trying the no AC in the main house this year, so far so good. I do have a unit running in the bedroom though so it is not a total lack of AC. Reason for the bedroom unit? My black lab, Wendy is 11 1/2 and has enough issues w/out overheating being added to them. I lock her in there while at work and when I'm home she'll visit for a short spell but then wait at the door to be let in. Let me tell you, 76 feels FRIGID when you step in there on summer days. I turn it off at night and just have a fan blowing cool air in.

You can become accustomed to extremes of weather. When I lived in upstate NY I logged and worked outside on other jobs. Sure, it was hot or cold but I was able to be comfortable while others could not.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #46
power

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

power is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Anyway, heat is not a reason not to live in the south. We have four seasons, we can grow lots....

I live in the middle of Ms. It gets pretty warm in the summer and the humidity is always high. The next week it will be 99 or better. Already had a lot of 100+ days.
I never use AC in all of the house. Sometimes I will turn the AC on in the bedroom for a few hours during the night. I never run it during the day.
If a person will use the spring time to get used to the heat it makes the summer more liveable.
Cold is a much bigger danger than heat. I just can't understand why people will live in a place that has snow and ice that stays on the ground longer than a few hours.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #47
River33

River33 is on a distinguished road

We live down in Southern Louisiana. You can grow food just about year round here. Between the hunting for wild pig, deer, squirrel, pigeon, dove, crabbing, crawfish, frogs and plenty of cat fish can be caught using trout lines.

I would love to take a course in learning to recognize the wild edible plants down here. Lots of blackberries, elderberries, mulberries, wild onion and dandilions. It does get mighty hot and humid in the summer though. And hurricane season is not my favorite. But, like my husbands says, his family has been down here for many generations and the worst a hurricane has done ever is blown part of the front porch off. Stay safe everyone!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #48
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by River33 View Post
We live down in Southern Louisiana. You can grow food just about year round here. Between the hunting for wild pig, deer, squirrel, pigeon, dove, crabbing, crawfish, frogs and plenty of cat fish can be caught using trout lines.

I would love to take a course in learning to recognize the wild edible plants down here. Lots of blackberries, elderberries, mulberries, wild onion and dandilions. It does get mighty hot and humid in the summer though. And hurricane season is not my favorite. But, like my husbands says, his family has been down here for many generations and the worst a hurricane has done ever is blown part of the front porch off. Stay safe everyone!
Beautiful country and friendly people. Makes the heat bearable.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #49
TheAnt
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Liked 451 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 526

TheAnt is on a distinguished road

Im thinking maybe the safest place to live is furthest away from anyone else. Your greatest threat is the folks you DONT know. Either get to know your neighbors and build trust or get away from people.

Personally... Im not sure I like people all that much... at least not most of them thats bad, huh? It would explain why I live outside the mound instead of with the rest of the colony.

God helps those who are helpless: “For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” – Romans 5:6.

God help us.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #50
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnt View Post
Im thinking maybe the safest place to live is furthest away from anyone else. Your greatest threat is the folks you DONT know. Either get to know your neighbors and build trust or get away from people.

Personally... Im not sure I like people all that much... at least not most of them thats bad, huh? It would explain why I live outside the mound instead of with the rest of the colony.
I was born and raised in south eastern Ok. It is possible to buy up small farms compeletly surrounded by Weyerhauser lumber company. No neighbors in miles. The only thing is many small farms are being bought up for growing cash crops.

Tags
crime rate, safest place to live

Quick Reply