You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building >

utlity easement issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
ZoomZoom
Rookie Prepper

Liked 15488 Times on 2699 Posts
Likes Given: 2754

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe View Post
Yep.
I have 80 acres, I only own the top 9 inches.
Dang, that sucks.

Where I live (PA), in general, the mineral rights are split into 2 categories. Hard elements (mainly coal) and gas elements (ethane, natural gas).

A lot of the rights for the hard elements were sold off by landowners 100+ years ago.

There was no interest in the gas elements until a few years back when drilling technology allowed going deep underground (like 1-3 miles down) where they found a ton of gas.

Well, they came around and signed up all the landowners to lease those gas rights. They paid really good money. There was a signing bonus of about $3000/acre upfront. (Yep, for a 200 acre farm, they would cut you a check for $600,000). If they drilled under your property, you also got royalties. The royalties varied by the amount of gas under your land but in general, it's $100-200 per acre, per month.

To get the gas out, they would also contract with landowners for pipelines. It varies but $25-30 per linear foot of gas line through your property would be about normal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #12
cqp33
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 648 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 683

cqp33 is on a distinguished road

my deed is clear of all/any easements and i own fully all mineral rights. This is getting interesting for sure! Ill keep you updated as i learn more....good or bad!

Some People are like Slinky's! Not really good for much but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #13
ZoomZoom
Rookie Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqp33 View Post
my deed is clear of all/any easements and i own fully all mineral rights.
If you have any road frontage, you can plan on there being an easement there, but may be implicit.

I don't know if this is everywhere in the nation, but everywhere I've lived, your property is measured from the center line of the road. Therefore, you're automatically giving an easement for your half of the road. It's also common to have an easement from the center line of the road for a certain # of feet, that extends beyond the actual road width. That extra is for utility companies to run their services along the side of the road. Around here, I think it's something like 8-10' from the edge of the road.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #14
azrancher
Pretty cool guy

Liked 353 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 44

azrancher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqp33 View Post
my deed is clear of all/any easements and i own fully all mineral rights. This is getting interesting for sure! Ill keep you updated as i learn more....good or bad!
Do you have a home on your property? Do you have utilities to your home... Electric, Phone, Cable TV, Natural Gas?

Rancher

Old 03-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #15
ZoomZoom
Rookie Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
Do you have a home on your property? Do you have utilities to your home... Electric, Phone, Cable TV, Natural Gas?

Rancher
Can't speak for your State but where I am, there is no easement for utilities to your house. It's the owners and the owners responsibility. E.g. my water meter is in the easement near the road. From that meter to the house, there is no easement and I'm responsible for the line should there be an issue.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #16
azrancher
Pretty cool guy

Liked 353 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 44

azrancher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
Can't speak for your State but where I am, there is no easement for utilities to your house. It's the owners and the owners responsibility. E.g. my water meter is in the easement near the road. From that meter to the house, there is no easement and I'm responsible for the line should there be an issue.
Ah yes, on water that is true, they own the valve and the meter... if you want to shut off the water at the meter, you had better install your own valve, I caught heck for using their valve, however for electric, gas, phone, & cable the demarcation point is normally on the house, on electric you may own the meter box, but don't you dare touch their meter, and getting electric in AZ involves an easement.

Rancher

Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #17
ZoomZoom
Rookie Prepper

Hmmm, forgot about the electric meter on the house.

I'm thinking about it more but still don't think I have an easement for utilities from the road to the house. An easement implies they own something going through the easement. Around here, the homeowners buy, own and maintain whatever utility lines you have from the road to your house. We still have to do OneCall (811) before digging in the area but I'd think that more for safety than the protection of whatever you hit. The cable company could care less if you rip up your cable line. You catch the electric line, whatever breaker trips on the power company side may take our more than your house (a lot more) so they have a bit more interest.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #18
Caribou
Time Traveler
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 12707 Times on 3632 Posts
Likes Given: 19084

Caribou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
An easement implies they own something going through the easement.
Not necessarily.

An easement may be for access only. I have an easement across my property for public access by non motorizes vehicles. The kids use that for riding their snow machines. I have another easement across my property for a power line that does not provide power to my home. The kids use that one for their snow machines also and they have no right to be anywhere on that area. Another utility easement provides electricity and gas to my home.

Thing vary, while in one area the utility company my own the line to your home in another area you might own the line while they have an easement to maintain the service.

Easements are for a specific purpose. I wrote an easement once that provided access and egress to a neighboring property but the guy could not run utilities as it was not in the easement. You decide what your property is to be used for and you give up that specific right for yourself and any subsequent owner.

"Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." General Omar Bradley
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2017, 03:43 AM   #19
txcatlady
Texan

Liked 795 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 2474

txcatlady is on a distinguished road

Our power company had us sign an easement to run electricity to our house. They have a lock to one of our gates where they can come on our property to clear trees or repair. My husbands land has mineral rights owned by several relatives for the wells. He has surface rights and had to sign permission for them to run gas pipeline across his land. Nice check and they repaired all surface damage. All lines are marked. Last well they put in, he had them use the water well they drilled to fill a lake he had them dig and leave the water well open. If it is a new line, you can negotiate. An old line or existing line you probably don't have any power to stop or keep them off. I do they they have to contact landowner before they come in. Not ask permission, but inform you.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:47 AM   #20
cqp33
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 648 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 683

cqp33 is on a distinguished road

This line runs 2800 feet from east to west 3 feet on me from my boundary with my neighbor to the north, the road frontage runs north to south. There is a 2" line on the road that is in the ditch, that is where my NG is piped from to my house.
In TN where I live it is 20' from center line of road for the road easement, you better not build a fence, etc on it or if someone hits it, the damage to their vehicle is your fault! This 2' line falls into this area so it is not on me and falls into the state road easement.
This high pressure line is fed from several gas wells in the area and provides high pressure gas to the local utility. again is runs perpendicular to the road, not with the road.

Some People are like Slinky's! Not really good for much but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quick Reply