Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > Surviving Heat in Grid Down Situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Possumfam

Liked 79 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Possumfam is on a distinguished road

Yeah, A/C has only been around so long. When I used to deliver mail, it got HOT in the vehicle. DH wanted me to run the A/C, but I just couldn't fathom that, what with the window down, stopping and turning off the engine, etc. The key was acclimating myself over time. If you go from A/C one day to stifling hot w/ high humidity, yeah, it's gonna be bad. But if you can slowly adjust over a few days, it's a little easier.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
stayingthegame

Liked 284 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 16

stayingthegame is on a distinguished road

try taking strips of cotton,wetting them and tying them to the cage on your fan. you can buy the "beads" that are in those wet collars. in candle making they are called smelly jellys. they soak up something like 10 times there weight in water. there are also found in some diapers.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
pixieduster

Liked 153 Times on 99 Posts

pixieduster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayingthegame
try taking strips of cotton,wetting them and tying them to the cage on your fan. you can buy the "beads" that are in those wet collars. in candle making they are called smelly jellys. they soak up something like 10 times there weight in water. there are also found in some diapers.
Hhmmm. Soak a clean diaper and place on head. Lol! I'm so doing that. Nope, I don't care what the neighbors think.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
pixieduster

Liked 153 Times on 99 Posts

pixieduster is on a distinguished road

I do think getting acclamaited is key. Old houses in the south have very high ceilings and tall windows. Its not just pretty, its science. Heat rises. All those ladies back in the day had long dresses and layers. They were use to it. Hand held fans and lots of lemon aid. History tells us a lot. Think I need to do some reaserch myself now. Don't have high ceilings but sure I can make a few changes.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
Jason
I am a little teapot

Liked 758 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 1580

Jason is on a distinguished road

You do become acclimated to heat over time. Probably the biggest key is hydration. Drink a ton of water. If your pee is dark you're not getting enough water. That's the easiest way to check. Drink water like crazy and some Gatorade or something once in a while for the electrolytes. I know Gatorade can seem pricy but it's not bad if you buy the tubs of powder.

Don't overexert yourself, especially if you're not used to the heat yet. Like others said, get up early or work later in the day to beat the heat. Take frequent breaks and don't push yourself.

Where I work they are very cautious about safety and heat stress is a biggie this time of year. They monitor us and if the temps exceed limits, we are put on periods of 75%work 25% rest, 50/50, etc which means for every hour we work 45 minutes and rest for 15, work a half hour and rest a half hour, etc.

Heat can injure or even kill if you aren't careful. It's not something to be taken lightly.

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of gas, electricity, and oil, as well as current market conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
SimpleJoys

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

SimpleJoys is on a distinguished road

This "can't live without airconditioning" thing is really recent. When I was growing up in Dallas in the 60's, none of the schools were airconditioned. Each class room had a big fan. We started school in August, and it was hot.

If you can find them, double hung windows are great. You can have them bottom part open on the side of the house the wind is blowing and the top part open on the opposite side so that the cooler air pushes out the hotter air.

Shading the south and west sides of the house helps a lot. I saw a great looking pergola a guy had built with one inch PVC pipe. He used 3' pieces of rebar as his base and hammered them halfway into the ground 2-3' apart, and then put up a ledger board on the side of the house with PVC connectors mounted to it and spaced to match the rebar. Then he used 1" PVC between the two in a nice arch and screwed white painted 1x2 lengthwise along it to steady it. I think there were four courses of the 1x2, but I don't remember. Then he planted fast growing vines at the base and trained them up over the pergola so that in the summer, he had a shady tunnel on the side of his house and the sun didn't touch the wall at all.

I couldn't even afford to do that, so I hung really cheap white plastic blinds from Walmart on the west side of my house from the soffit. They lasted all summer and kept the afternoon sun from heating up the side of the house. It made a huge difference in comfort--without them, the side of the house would get so hot that it would be about two in the morning before the house cooled off. If I had stayed there, I would have eventually built some sort of permanent structure to keep the sun off and grow grape vines.

Those mister things that are on stands and attach to the water hose can make sitting outside a lot more pleasant. And don't forget popsicles and iced tea! Cold peppermint tea is really refreshing and doesn't have caffeine.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3692 Times on 1807 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

Davarm is on a distinguished road

I grew up west of Dallas in the 60's and we dealt with he heat, didn't have air conditionin. I remember it being hot but not life threatening, we knew where all the swimming holes were and where all the cool shady spots were around the country side. We sometimes slept outside but not often.

I guess you can acclimate to the heat, I didn't live in a house with AC until the early 80's and I look back and wonder how we did it.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
TheLazyL
Cowboy
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2542 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 455

TheLazyL is on a distinguished road

I work in an office full of ladies.

The ladies that are over weight complain about "too hot" and the ladies under weight "too cold". Never just right.

And then we have outside plant Techs that have the A/C in the vehicle turned up to full blast and about drop when they exit the vehicle.

My point is prepping is not just storing away food stuffs, ammo and fuel. It is also about being physically fit.

“Celer-Silens-Mortalis”

Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Ration-AL

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Ration-AL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayingthegame View Post
^ this

short of that you can dig roman ice rooms and store snow/ice for the summer and it might be a very profitable enterprise in the post apocalyptic world.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VmJLd3sSYecC&pg=PA321#v=onepage&q&f=false

Quote:
The period known as the "Dog Days" of summer occurs from early July into mid-August. The Romans gave this period the name "dies canincula" or dog days because the dog star Sirius rises and sets with the sun during this time. They conjectured that the combined effect of the star and the sun was what made it so oppressively warm and humid.
also Ammonium nitrate added to water in a steel dish can make ice as well
Quote:
How to Make Ice Using Fertilizer
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-ice-usin...r-5422755.html
Quote:
In order to make ice with this method, the following items are needed:

Ammonium Nitrate
A Bucket or Large Pot
A Smaller Metal Bowl
Water
Measuring Containers - At least two of these.

Mixing the coolant for making the ice:

Mix equal parts of ammonium nitrate and water in the bucket. Fill the bucket 3/4 of the way full with the mixture. Place a smaller metal bowl on top of the rim of the bucket or large pot. Fill the smaller metal bowl half full of water. It will take several hours for the water to freeze into ice.

or you can make an icey ball
http://crosleyautoclub.com/IcyBall/HomeBuilt/HallPlans/IB_Directions.html

another one

a solar type prototype coming through, study and basics....v
http://fc.uni.edu.pe/mhorn/ISES2003%20%28solar%20refrigeration%29.pdf
pic

article
http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/new-solar-refrigerator-prototype-from-chile.html

so there are lots of ways, and none of them are really any good, personally i'm just digging some deep holes in a shaded area, fill with snow and cover with straw and moss , we don't really have a heat problem here but ice is always pretty handy and worst case i end up with a couple of deep wells with water reserves.

~this space for rent~

Old 07-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
BillS
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 1927 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 120

BillS is on a distinguished road

Where I live in Wisconsin our basement is still cooler than 70º. I wish I could have the summer weather from Marquette, Michigan which is on Lake Superior.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Marquette+MI+USMI0525:1:US

Quick Reply