Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > Starting to homestead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Marlee_c

Marlee_c is on a distinguished road
Default Starting to homestead

I am just now getting into the idea of homesteading. I am needing a good starting point, so as not to get overwhelmed too quickly. Where and how did you guys begin your process?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
lisat

lisat is on a distinguished road

We are just getting started too. Spring will be busy around here!
Here are 3 books to get you started. I got these on Amazon for a good price.
The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency
The New Self-Sufficient Gardener
Country Wisdom & Know-How

Old 10-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
dilligaf

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

dilligaf is on a distinguished road

sit down and really set up a plan and goals that you would like to achieve in x amount of time. Make a list of current season goals, next season goals and future goals.Start small or you will be overwhelmed! Make them achievable or you will get frusterated n down when or if you dont make your goals. Rather than just homesteading try and make it all sustainable as you go. It saves alot of time in the end.

we started with small gardens and chickens. As the gardens grew bigger over time we added goats. Eventually we added bunnies etc. Over the last 6 or 7 years we have gone from one small garden to a greenhouse and an acre and half of gardens and we are still expanding them. We have gone from growing maybe 5 % of our food into growing 90% or so. Dont go in over your head or bite off more than you can chew.

Ask questions as you progress or where you dont have a clue how to go about it. Thats what sites like this are for. People are more than willing to help out, folks just have to ask . Remember the best laid plans never go according to how you plan them. Things will screw up and break and interefere with how you go about them . The most important thing to remember is that you are making steps toward self sufficiency and that each step is an important piece of your journey.

As far as good starter books,
I would suggest back to basics by readers digest (basic but detailed for beginners). The encyclopedia of country living is another good book . It is written by carla emery. ( It is back to basics on steroids)

Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Lowdown3

Lowdown3 is on a distinguished road

Dilligaf said-

Dont go in over your head or bite off more than you can chew."

Amen Sister!! BTDT. Tried goats within about 2 months of moving here, we were NOT ready for them.

Luckily we had been raising rabbits and chickens in the "burbs" down in Florida before the move, so we had some experience.

For us, the gardening was the toughest part. It took many years to get the soil in decent shape here (very poor soil here) and it took many years for us to get some decent experience also.

Move slow as Dilli advised, she's the real deal and KNOWS what she's talking about.

Lowdown3

Old 11-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
homesteadfarm

homesteadfarm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlee_c View Post
Where and how did you guys begin your process?
Like the others have advised, start slowly. Sit down and make a list of goals then try and make a timeline. Your goals and plans shouldn't be written in stone and they will change over time. Our's did and still are. We read ( and still do read) everything we can get our hands on. The Encyclopedia of Country Living is a great reference. Do what works for you, the experts are only experts for their particular situation. For us we concentrated on gardening first. The land we moved to has been in our family for a while and had been farmed conventionally so there was some revitalization we needed to do and are still doing. We put in several raised beds to tide us over until the land has been rejuvinated enough to produce well. Next we added laying hens housed in a "chicken tractor" so that we could move them as needed through the future garden areas. Then came goats for meat and to clear brush out of some areas that will the future orchard. We'll eventually add meat chicken (broilers), a dairy cow or two, rabbits, and pigs. That's our plan anyway. Hope this helps.

Jason D.
Homestead Farm

Old 11-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #6
idahofreedom

idahofreedom is on a distinguished road

Homesteading is really just trying to become as self-sufficient as you can. I really think homesteading is all about freedom. Anytime we are dependent upon others for our needs, we lose some freedom. Homesteading is about providing for our own needs.

I agree with all who have said to start slow.....work towards your goals. Do not always choose the simplest, easiest, or cheapest route. Stay as debt free as you can.

One of the best books I ever read on homesteading is called "The Owner Built Homestead". It is an older book that you would need to find on the used market. It really changed the way I looked at the homesteading mindset.

Read as much as you can.

Take care.......

Old 11-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
badkarma
recovering aquaholic

badkarma is on a distinguished road

Dilli....why don't you post your pics here. I thought they were great, lots of good info. By the way, Dilli thanks for the link, and hey Lowdown, good to see you.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
dilligaf

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

dilligaf is on a distinguished road

i am gtting to it Been busy taking more pics , new projects etc. I am waitig for a rainy day when i can justify sitting inside all day long uploading pictures Nice to see ya oh bad one

Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
idahofreedom

idahofreedom is on a distinguished road

BTW -here is a link to the book I recommended. Amazon has some used ones.

Amazon.com: The Owner-Built Homestead: Barbara Kern, Ken Kern: Books

Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #10
fobhomestead

fobhomestead is on a distinguished road
Default I am starting too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlee_c View Post
I am just now getting into the idea of homesteading. I am needing a good starting point, so as not to get overwhelmed too quickly. Where and how did you guys begin your process?
I dont know why my posts are not showing up. Really NOT cool. I have 14 days left before we move into our homestead. I am posting it all online at my website (maybe that is why they wont post my thread??) Yes I am paranoid. lol.. just google my name and you can go to my website. I was really hoping I could use this forum to share information.

Tags
homestead, homesteading, homesteads

Quick Reply