Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > Shipping container shelters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
shirls
shirls

Likes Given: 1

shirls is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping container shelters

We have brought for our retirment 140 acres,, nice and rural, so that we can be self sufficent , run a few cattle, and hide away if things get bad. It already has a shed on t that has been made into a house, very cozy, but is a shed although it has flushing toilet and power and so on. We are thinking of building something more secure, that we can utilize in the mean time and use as a shelter if needed. We are thinking of using shipping container, lifted a foot of the ground and totally cover with concrete blocks.
Would it be fire proof, ie. insulated from the heat by the concrete blocks?cyclone proof?because its so heavy. We are hoping because we are building it off the ground to have a trap door and a tunel off into the bush making an exteral exit. Would it be bullet proof, any ideas and thoughts welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Herbalpagan

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Herbalpagan is on a distinguished road

Shipping containers are rapidly becoming a popular means of raising a shelter. The green channel just did a story on how people are using them in traditional neighborhoods as ultra modern, but somewhat "green" building materials. They are still reasonably priced and if nothing else, would make an excellent storage space for extra preps. A search on google should bring you lots of results on how to get them and use them.

Self reliance is just a common sense life style!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Canadian
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 127 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Canadian is on a distinguished road

They are really handy. The Canadian army uses them in Afghanistan. They work out of the containers until they can build a concrete bunker shell around the container. Then they have a fortified container. People have been making buildings out of the old containers like this one.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
dukman
Greenhorn

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dukman is on a distinguished road

Here is a couple suggestions to build it as sturdy as possible while not burying it...

>Cover the container in a Tyvek type water barrier. Start at the bottom, overlap as you go up. Lots of mortar and grout... seal the bricks tight. This should help make it sturdy even against hurricane force winds.

>Fill the centers of the concrete blocks with gravel or sand. Make the bricks 2 layers deeps to help with penetration of small arms if you are worried about that. Interlock some of the bricks from the inner and outer wall.

>The insides of the container will need to be reinforced to support the weight of bricks on top of it. The bricks underneath will probably have to be 3 rows deep to support the weight without breaking. Remember to install any large interior items such as furniture, latrine, and water storage barrels before sealing the container up.

>Make sure you stash a couple extra bricks underneath to seal up your entrance. Cover it from the outside with a piece of plywood to keep critters out of there in the meantime. Plant lots of foilage all around so the entrance is better concealed. I might even make some small walls underneath to hide behind if you are worried that attackers might find your entrance. The hole to get into the container should be at the far end away from the entrance.

>You need ventilation... maybe running two pipes out the side, then down through the holes in the concrete block, then away from the structure. One for inlet, the other for outlet. I would make them separate from the entrance in case anyone saw you come in the entrance.

EDIT: Just realized you mentioned external entrance... make sure it is well hidden... and I would make a second one

Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Magi

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Magi is on a distinguished road

Im not so sure they are bulletproof. The army used (may still) something similair to this. We called them Conexes, I heard of a Bn Hq set up in one and it got all shot up, several died. Im not sure it would be Cyclone proof either, if a Cyclone is anytihng like a Tornado it could get lifted off its foundations and dropped several feet away.

Sorry i missed the part that u were covering it with cement blocks.

Last edited by Magi; 03-18-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
shirls
shirls

shirls is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feed back , its given me somthing to think about, suppose the concret blocks...would insulate enough for it to stay cool, we have on on our back cottage we use for a spare bedrooom and it gets hell hot in summer.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Expeditioner

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Expeditioner is on a distinguished road

Dukman had some great ideas. The bricks, concrete blocks and sand will do more to stop bullets than the steel. Bullets can those containers and you could have bullets ricocheting on the inside. The bricks and concrete should also help insulate the container from fire. Otherwise you might end up being in a big dutch oven. I would build a trap door into the floor of the container that is bolted/secured from the inside.

Also make sure you have thoroughly cleaned out (scrubbed and rinsed) the container. There is a good chance that the container may have had numerous applications of fungicides and pesticides.

Last edited by bunkerbob; 03-15-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: link bad

Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
almac

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

almac is on a distinguished road

here's an interesting idea:
YouTube - BATTLEBOXcivilian = Shows Way for Military Uses dynmicpara

Old 11-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
allen_idaho

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

allen_idaho is on a distinguished road

What you could do is simply modify the container slightly and use dirt. This would be similar to using hesco barriers, which are basically just large square sandbags capable of stopping everything from gunfire to car bomb explosions.

Here is what I would do.

1. Position the shipping container where I want it to sit permanently.

2. Add steel reinforcement beams between the floor and ceiling to provide extra resistance to pressure.

3. Weld on steel plates to the top and sides of the entrance, to provide a channel for your cover dirt.

4. Waterproof the container. This can be done with plastic sheeting or spray on materials such as rubberized asphalt or liquid polyurethanes.

5. Cover with dirt. For maximum safety, you will probably want at least 4 feet of dirt on average covering the top and sides. This should give ample protection from anything that gets thrown at you on 4 sides from a wild fire, to a hurricane, to gunfire and explosives.

6. Now all you need to do is reinforce the entrance from attack. I would probably go with several inches of steel or possibly a wall of concrete blocks. And a very strong door to keep you safe.

7. Grow some grass. I don't mean drugs. I mean plants some grass seed on your dirt mound. This will keep the dirt secured in place and dramatically reduce the amount of maintenance you will need to do.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
allen_idaho

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

allen_idaho is on a distinguished road

To illustrate what I mean, I made up a couple of images. Forgive the crudeness of the model.

You will see that this container has 3 beams installed to provide extra strength.

You will also see the channel around the entrance which will keep the dirt away from your entrance. This is so heavy rains wont cause mud to spill over in front of your door.

container1.jpg  

container2.jpg  

Quick Reply