Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > Need homestead partners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #11
bahramthered

Liked 133 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 82

bahramthered is on a distinguished road

Oh Nuts, I'm the one who has to go negative again:

A degree in biology and you want to do organic farming? That raises a red flags for me.

Organic farming is the least productive, least nutritious, most wasteful farming we have in modern times. Heck it even routinely fails taste tests.

Good luck man. I suggest you start advertising on liberal college websites and use words like commune, mother gia, and back to earth. Be open to questionable herbs and nudity if you really want to make a go of this.

-Fav quote I heard not too long ago about deep south humidity:
"Even my sweat is sweating"

-Another apocalypse I slept through? Man how many have I lived through now with out even having to do a thing? Well at least my preps are getting better while the apocalypse stands me up.

CrackbottomLouis Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #12
FutureFriendly

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 21

FutureFriendly is on a distinguished road

Critical thinking is great. I agree that advertising at a college she might have found a lot more interest. I didn't think that because she didn't get her degree in organic farming it might not be legitimate. The things I studied in college and received certification for, I'm less confident in when compared to the thing's I tried to learn out of interest. What she expressed interest in doing doesn't line up with my interest's and goal's exactly but, if it were local? I might have been able to learn something. I'm considering asking a few local Mennonite family's to see if they need a hand and it's mainly because I learn best threw experience.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #13
bahramthered

Liked 133 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 82

bahramthered is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFriendly View Post
Critical thinking is great. I agree that advertising at a college she might have found a lot more interest. I didn't think that because she didn't get her degree in organic farming it might not be legitimate. The things I studied in college and received certification for, I'm less confident in when compared to the thing's I tried to learn out of interest. What she expressed interest in doing doesn't line up with my interest's and goal's exactly but, if it were local? I might have been able to learn something. I'm considering asking a few local Mennonite family's to see if they need a hand and it's mainly because I learn best threw experience.
Reread me. I didn't question her qualifications for organic farming. Nor did I implie she was illegitimate. I only questioned why someone with a degree in biology and I hope a brain would be interested in organic farming.

And I thought I was helpful if slightly mocking (okay more than slightly) in suggesting a path to find people to undertake this project.

-Another apocalypse I slept through? Man how many have I lived through now with out even having to do a thing? Well at least my preps are getting better while the apocalypse stands me up.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #14
FutureFriendly

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Your right, the word legitimacy is not in your post but, the term "red flag" denoted it. My interpretation and not everybody's gonna look at it that way but, a few might.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
flaja

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

flaja is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengasser View Post
We live in the CSRA area in SC. Where was the property you found. We also have Mum living with us... She has said we can move as long as we keep this house for her. The older they get...,,
We don't farm and have a small garden that this year is producing wonderfully.
The last property I found is in Pelzer, SC just on the doorstep of Greenville. It has 2 houses that both need some work and right now a tenant is renting part of the land for a mobile home. It isn’t nearly the acreage I would want, but the asking price is only $88,000.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
FutureFriendly

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Some houses that need work could end up costing you a lot more than you think. If it doesn't have a good working septic system, cistern, well, weeping tile, window's and insulation, It may cost a lot to be energy efficient, self-sustaining and comfortable.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
flaja

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

flaja is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahramthered View Post
Oh Nuts, I'm the one who has to go negative again:

A degree in biology and you want to do organic farming? That raises a red flags for me.

Organic farming is the least productive, least nutritious, most wasteful farming we have in modern times. Heck it even routinely fails taste tests.
I am in no mood this morning to argue with another fool on the net so I will just tell you to go toe Hell.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
goatlady

Liked 57 Times on 36 Posts

goatlady is on a distinguished road

"Organic farming is the least productive, least nutritious, most wasteful farming we have in modern times. Heck it even routinely fails taste tests."

That's the most ignorant, outrageous statement I have read in a looooong time!. Care to document your basis for said statement?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
Kessler

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Kessler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahramthered View Post

I admit that I don't know whether that is true or not, but I'd sure like to hear other opinions.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure...

Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
JayJay
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 746 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 7

JayJay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaja View Post
The last property I found is in Pelzer, SC just on the doorstep of Greenville. It has 2 houses that both need some work and right now a tenant is renting part of the land for a mobile home. It isn’t nearly the acreage I would want, but the asking price is only $88,000.
I am not in realty, but I bet these days you can find a better deal, esp. in Ky.

'God charts our path; it is we who must take it'

Tags
homestead, homesteading

Quick Reply