Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > how to convert water well to hand pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Clarice

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts

Clarice is on a distinguished road
Default how to convert water well to hand pump

We have community water at our home. We also have a well with an electric pump. Does anyone have any idea what it would take to convert to a hand pump? The well is approx. 125'. I have an old pitcher pump that needs new leathers(?) or so I've been told. We would like to do as much of the work ourselves to save $$. I have called to local well man, but he is much too busy to return my call. Any ideas out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2531 Times on 1350 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

You tell us that the well is 125' deep but without knowing where the water-level is, it is kind of difficult to tell you if a hand-pump will do the trick. If the water-level is 7-meters (21') below ground then a basic "cheap" hand-pump will do amazing. If it is much deeper than that, then special hand-pumps designed for deep-well use will be required.

I found a supplier of hand-pumps for you, their webpage is: Bison Hand Water Pumps

If you click on their pricing page, they have pumps for shallow wells and for deep wells and you will be able to decide from their information listed which one would be the better choice for your well and should be able to compare their options with the one that you have to see if yours will be able to be "tuned" to work with your well.

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
ZoomZoom
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 4269 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 685

ZoomZoom is on a distinguished road

I like the question Clarice asked as I could see a use for the same thing.

Gulp... At $1500, I think I'll do it the manual way. My idea is to take a 3' long (or so) piece of 3-4" schedule 40 and put a cap on the bottom and then put weights in. On the top, drill for a rope connection. Lower it down the well and have it submerse into the water and fill. Pull it back up and dump into a larger container.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
VUnder

Liked 91 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

VUnder is on a distinguished road

You can make that hand pump for the deep well easily and cheap. It will basically be like the pumps used to lift crude oil out of the wells. I can explain it in detail if interested. Shouldn't be more than a hundred.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Kevin108
Amateur

Kevin108 is on a distinguished road

Is there any trick to keeping the leather gaskets from drying out?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 832 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Is there any trick to keeping the leather gaskets from drying out?
use it frequently?

You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
VUnder

This design only has one leather gasket. It would be better if you stacked maybe three together. Soak them good in vegetable oil to keep them pliable. Wells just seem to take a little maintenance anyways. But, with the hand pump, you can drill a small well instead of a large one. Even with a 6" well you still can make you a bucket out of a 4" pipe with a check valve in the bottom. One guy here just had a large ball bearing over a hole in the bottom of his "bucket" and used it that way. But, a hand pump would be a lot nicer.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Sourdough
ExCommunicated

Location: On a majestic mountain At the END of my Private LOGGING road, in Alaska
Liked 274 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Sourdough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
I like the question Clarice asked as I could see a use for the same thing.

Gulp... At $1500, I think I'll do it the manual way. My idea is to take a 3' long (or so) piece of 3-4" schedule 40 and put a cap on the bottom and then put weights in. On the top, drill for a rope connection. Lower it down the well and have it submerse into the water and fill. Pull it back up and dump into a larger container.
If you have a "Pit-less" addapter in the casing, your not likely to get past it to the water level.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Kevin108
Amateur

Kevin108 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUnder View Post
This design only has one leather gasket. It would be better if you stacked maybe three together. Soak them good in vegetable oil to keep them pliable. Wells just seem to take a little maintenance anyways. But, with the hand pump, you can drill a small well instead of a large one. Even with a 6" well you still can make you a bucket out of a 4" pipe with a check valve in the bottom. One guy here just had a large ball bearing over a hole in the bottom of his "bucket" and used it that way. But, a hand pump would be a lot nicer.
I have had two standard pitcher pumps. I broke the first one changing the gasket. They use a leather gasket around the piston as well as an cap at the top of the pipe and both tend to dry out, shrink up and not do their job. I guess the Bison pumps are a better design but the price is just way too high. My little well out back is something like 70' deep but I haven't measured the water level lately. Typically it's only a few feet from the surface. I'm going to try the vegetable oil trick. I keep the Fry Daddy in the garage so I think I'll just clean the leather off and toss them in there.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
VUnder

If you want to make that hand pump, it goes inside a 2" pipe, which will be your "pump barrel" and it moves water when you move the handle. Don't forget what you are doing and "batter" those leathers before you put in the fry daddy.

Tags
hand well pump, well pump, wells

Quick Reply