Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > Homesteading in GA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #1
Concerned_ Citizen

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Concerned_ Citizen is on a distinguished road
Default Homesteading in GA

Hello all. My wife, 3 yr old daughter and I will be moving down to GA very soon. This will be our first time living in this state. Our hopes are to be able to secure a 10-20 acre plot and start working toward self sustainment and self reliance.

This will be our first time attempting this. Our goal is to be able to hunker down and survive without leaving the property for at least a year or so if need be. This is something that we have been trying to secure in our present position in NE ohio but due to lack of funds have been unable to secure the property that we need....

We are slowly gaining the required skills for such an endeaver. We have latched on to a really awsome Amish family that allows us to come down and learn/help when we can.....We butchered our first hog a few weeks back! that was exciting......trying to learn as much as we can with hands on exp.

last year we tanned our first couple of deer hides and was suprised with our ability.

My wife is a master in the kitchen......canning, fermenting, etc.

Does anyone have any first hand exp of small scale sustainable farming in GA? will be working in the city of warner robins and willing to commute an hour if need be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 251 Times on 124 Posts

bunkerbob is on a distinguished road

WELCOME, Concerned Citizen from a long time preparer. Looking forward to your replies and posts.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Expeditioner

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Expeditioner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned_ Citizen View Post
Hello all. My wife, 3 yr old daughter and I will be moving down to GA very soon. This will be our first time living in this state. Our hopes are to be able to secure a 10-20 acre plot and start working toward self sustainment and self reliance.

This will be our first time attempting this. Our goal is to be able to hunker down and survive without leaving the property for at least a year or so if need be. This is something that we have been trying to secure in our present position in NE ohio but due to lack of funds have been unable to secure the property that we need....

We are slowly gaining the required skills for such an endeaver. We have latched on to a really awsome Amish family that allows us to come down and learn/help when we can.....We butchered our first hog a few weeks back! that was exciting......trying to learn as much as we can with hands on exp.

last year we tanned our first couple of deer hides and was suprised with our ability.

My wife is a master in the kitchen......canning, fermenting, etc.

Does anyone have any first hand exp of small scale sustainable farming in GA? will be working in the city of warner robins and willing to commute an hour if need be.
Welcome Concerned Citizen. I was raised in North Georgia. Grew up on a small farm that supplemented my parents' income. Best bet is to get with a local who has experience growing things in the southern part of the state or contact the county AG extension.

Depending on where you buy....land runs from $900 to $5500 an acre. Unless you are paying for land in full and with cash your best bet is owner financing as it tends to be 2 to 3 percentage points below the banks.

When do you plan on coming down?

Last edited by Expeditioner; 01-21-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
TechAdmin
Administrator
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 264 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 125

TechAdmin has disabled reputation

Welcome to Prepared Society CC!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Concerned_ Citizen

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks fro the replies guys, been unable to quit reading all the great info on here......wow

looks like i will be coming down around mid feb or beginning of march.....moving due to a job offer...no family and we dont know anyone there yet....

Not to happy about leaving ohio as all my family is there and the lands and locations are optimal......except the possibility of being covered by a glacier in the future......

anyway, I am looking forward to getting to know you all and will be trying to convince my wife to get on here and pass off her nutrition knowledge as that is HUGE when it comes to weathering out any sustained problem.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Expeditioner

No problem. If you come down in mid Feb and have time you are welcome to join in a rabbit hunt in Upson County. It is about 2 hours from Warner Robins but you would meet some great like minded people.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Concerned_ Citizen

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expeditioner View Post
No problem. If you come down in mid Feb and have time you are welcome to join in a rabbit hunt in Upson County. It is about 2 hours from Warner Robins but you would meet some great like minded people.
WOW! i really appreciate that and will defiantly take you up on that.....i will let you know!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Expeditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned_ Citizen View Post
WOW! i really appreciate that and will defiantly take you up on that.....i will let you know!

Keep in touch!!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
GatorDude

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

GatorDude is on a distinguished road

You don't have to go far to get into rural areas from Warner-Robins. I don't think you'll have any problems finding a place or leading a sustainable lifestyle. I worked there for a few months and several co-workers had small farms with livestock and productive gardens. There seemed to be lots of hunting and fishing opportunities in the area. Plus, the main industry is the Air Force Reserve HQ and lots of aircraft maintenance. People have lots of technical and machining skills in the area. Have fun!

--------------------------------
Motto: Vanquish Fear and Panic!
Blog: http://defeatzombies.blogspot.com

Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Lake Windsong
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1091 Times on 460 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Lake Windsong is on a distinguished road
Default Georgia

I used to live nearby WR in Macon. Yes, lots of rural areas nearby, hope you find a spot you are happy with. Here's a couple websites that might help you when you move:

Farmers Market: the Atlanta Georgia (Forest Park) Farmer's Market - a Guide and Listing of Vendors Atlanta has an awesome, really great farmer's market. It would be a great place to connect with other GA growers/homesteaders.

Georgia Organics Organic farmers in GA

Lots of great vacation spots within a short drive, education opportunities are really great, southern hospitality, etc.

Tags
homesteading, homesteading in ga, homesteads

Quick Reply