Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > continuing on shelter...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 249 Times on 123 Posts

bunkerbob is on a distinguished road
Default continuing on shelter...

Hooked up the air supply knife valve and temporarily attached the fan to bring in fresh air to the shelter project. Some rebar added, need 'a lot' more before lowering the door frame down. I managed to separate the bunker door from its frame, found that the hinges actually have roller bearings on them for ease of opening. Separating the two makes it a lot lighter to handle, I believe together it weighs about 600 lbs, the front and rear door panels are 3/8" steel, and that's before I pour lightweight concrete in the door core after its totally installed. The white 4" pipe is "t" for the sewer hookup to the pump-up toilet.

Last edited by bunkerbob; 11-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2646 Times on 1410 Posts
Likes Given: 1510

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Looks like things are coming along nicely! If I didn't know better, I would say that you were a miner in an earlier life

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
TechAdmin
Administrator
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 264 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 125

TechAdmin has disabled reputation

Awesome Pics.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
longtime

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

longtime is on a distinguished road

That looks great. Are the walls hard rock?

Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime View Post
That looks great. Are the walls hard rock?
They are decomposed granite, not quite as hard as rock but almost. Need jackhammer to work, too old to use pick and shovel anymore. Then into a 5 gallon bucket. One good thing is that I can use the loose sieved DG instead of sand in the concrete mix, its called 'sharp sand'. An engineer in Japan has studied it and found in some cases to be superior because of its shape, rough rather than smooth as in the case of river sand.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #6
longtime

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

longtime is on a distinguished road

I wish we had that here. All we have is clay and a high water table. I did notice in other posts that your working under a slab. Did you pour the slab or was old work. The reason I ask is concern for cave in.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

I poured the steel reinforced slab when I built the work shop about a year or so ago. I have supports under to hold it up until I start pouring walls. Will have a rebar reinforced concrete 1ft round column in the middle to help. The plan is to break holes in the existing slab and pump concrete in to build roof support after I get the 1ft thick walls up. Right now its about 10' x 10' x 7'. Should have had this poured when I originally built the workshop, oh well!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
allen_idaho

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

allen_idaho is on a distinguished road

Looks like it is coming along great. What is your overall goal? What systems do you hope to have fully installed when done?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_idaho View Post
Looks like it is coming along great. What is your overall goal? What systems do you hope to have fully installed when done?
I know there are other threads under construction that covers this, but here it goes.

The first room which is almost excavated is going to be 10' x 10' x 8' high, contain most of the air systems, toilet, and air lock entrance door. I've installed the outside 4" air intake pipe made of steel sched 40 galv. about 5ft above the ground with a brass wool filter and cover. It goes down to a "t" which which has a 12" nipple on the bottom that will act as a particle trap, then the 90 goes to a 4" steel knife valve. This in turn will feed into a bio filter, a merv 13 particle and carbon filter and a UV light. This is similar to the one I presently have for the house, not quite as powerful, less CFM. Then to a 4" ABS pipe sweep that will contain the CO2 scrubber, the in-line fan and on to the large hand cranked blower.

This system can be sealed from the outside via the knife valve, and the inside air can be cycled thru the Sofnolime and carbon scrubber filter either by the in-line AC fan or the hand blower. I also have (2) 300cf 3000psi air cylinders to provide positive pressure for about 18 hrs @ 14psi., and a small O2 bottle to replenish the oxygen while using the scrubber.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f38/co-2-scrubber-2109/

I have the (4) t-105 batteries and the 4000w inverter ready to be installed as soon as I'm ready, the system will receive 24VDC from the house system to keep the batteries charged. I can turn the genset on/off from a remote switch on the inverter from inside the shelter. These will be in a sealed room that can be vented to the outside to remove any hydrogen produced during battery charging, either from the house or the genset.

bunkerbob

The toilet is a manual flush up design that will receive water from my outside tanks and send waste to my septic system.

Twist 'n' Lock Manual Toilets

The inner door is from a bunker set up during the late 60s, very heavy, 4" thick, and will be mounted in a 1' thick wall, then filled with lightweight concrete. An entrance will be a 4' x4' room outside the door, with a shower system, deterrent devices and a sump pump to carry off waste water. I built a similar system at my last underground shelter.

I've researched the LED grow-light systems for interior plant growing, Naekid had some great ideas using fiber-optics to bring in natural light, still looking into that, the growing of plants will help reduce stress if we have to stay for extended period of time. One wall will have a large mural of a outside forest scene theme to also help, looked into this when we contemplated building a underground/earth sheltered home.

Some google images

Cooking will be done on a butane fired stove that uses cartridges, and has the least amount of pollution, it will be placed under or near the exhaust pipe similar to the intake one, which will also have a knife valve that can be sealed. Water will be gravity piped in from my 5000gal tanks from above ground to 55 gallon barrels, thus having a reserve supply if above ground tanks are disabled.

We have an abundant supply of long-term stored food and goods, these will be in-place as soon as I am done.

I have an extra CCTV system that is also ready to install, one wireless the other hardwired, both have external mics. Ham radio gear will be installed also for communication.

Believe it or not I have about 90% of the equipment all ready to install.
Well you got me started....

Last edited by bunkerbob; 11-29-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
allen_idaho

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

allen_idaho is on a distinguished road

It all sounds great. And that blast door looks like an awesome find.

What are your plans for overhead lighting? Bulbs? Flourescents? LEDs?

Quick Reply