Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > General Homesteading & Building > Beach Homesteading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
crosscanadian

crosscanadian is on a distinguished road
Default Beach Homesteading

I was wondering about the people who choose to homestead on the beach. I am curious to know what their lifestyle is like and what their homestead site is like. Is it on the sand next to the beach or do you just live in a beach town?

Do you fish in the ocean for food? I would love to have shrimp a couple of times a week for dinner! That would be living a luxurious lifestyle!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Samoan

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Samoan is on a distinguished road

Fish is great for your diet! I would love to be able to have that abundent source of food nearby! There is only 1 small stream by my house which houses teeny tiny minnows.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Visor

Visor is on a distinguished road

If you make a homestead on the beach it should probably be built high up off the ground so it doesn't get flooded; I can see a lot of potential for wind energy though maybe water energy?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Samoan

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good point, Visor. One thing I just thought about that would absolutely drive me crazy about living at the beach would be the sand. Forgot about that very small, yet very annoying detail!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
TechAdmin
Administrator
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 249 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 125

TechAdmin has disabled reputation

We have family who lives on the Texas coast. They have quite the setup and make their living crab trapping. If your knowledgeable about the area it would be a perfect homestead area. You would have to have raised beds to get some good crops going but you would get plenty of rain and have an abundant food source.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
redskies

redskies is on a distinguished road

When I was on the beach at night (Texas Coast) there were lots of these really large crabs that can run semi-quickly into holes if you scare them but alot of the time I can catch them. Do you know what kind these are?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
hamburgler

hamburgler is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't your B.O.V. have to be a Dune Buggy???

Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Samoan

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess so, hamburgler! Or a Jeep would probably work just as well. As long as you have four wheel drive.

Homesteading on the beach would leave an abundant source of food. I would definitly become a fisherman....or fisherwoman, I should say. That would be a great way to make money and you can feed your family as well. Afterall, give a man a fish and he eats for a day....teach a man to fish and he eats for live. Fishing is a great tool!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
crosscanadian

crosscanadian is on a distinguished road

I would love to homestead on the beach! But I already have a great set up in the country where I am at. Maybe in my next life!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #10
SurvivalNut
Retired Army

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

SurvivalNut is on a distinguished road
Default Beach Homesteading

Just some annoying thoughts on an otherwise happy thought thread:

On a beach are you more exposed to the mercies of weather conditions?

In a SHTF scenario is the beach more defensible or can you be easily flanked from behind and cornered with your back against the sea? Think Pirates. On the rise now, even in our Gulf. Haitians. Cubans. Mexicans. The issue is not racism, just a shift of population when the flag goes up and Uncle Sam bails on us.

I am reading the LONG EMERGENCY. Not done yet, but Kunstler mentions the issues of coastal hazards.

I have spoken with Aussie military personnel. They have a real world mission patroling their coasts. Within a few days you can have a complete fishing village of Asian squatters set up camp.

A lot of prime coastal USA areas also have highways capable of dumping any number of refugees into your small town idealic retreat.

Coastal areas may have some special difficulties regarding farming (lotta sand, cool weather, wind). In a SHTF scenario, a beach retreat would rely on some inland trading partners (perhaps more so than an inland retreat would rely on a beach partner?)

Vacation yes, retreat no.

Simple thoughts from a simple mind.

Tags
beach homesteading, homestead, homesteading

Quick Reply