Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Equipment & Survival Kits > Survival firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
gaspump86

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

gaspump86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHprepper
I like my 1911 for a sidearm. it has stopping power, and a lot of people have .45 ACP. If i was you i would use the .223 setup for a long gun. like a lot of guys on here i had a whole lotta training and experience on the AR, so thats what i would personally use. And as many have said, they ability to carry several hundred rounds comfortable just can't be beat. As for hunting game, i have a screw on TAC16 suppressor for the AR. It's well worth the money, and when fired with subsonics it's about as noisy as a loud pellet gun. I do realize not everyone can get them based on their state of residence. however, maybe in time. coyote hunters have made the popularity of them skyrocket, which helps out the rest of us who want them for a SHTF scenario. that being said, those are what i would use for bug out. for bug in i have several things. shotguns and 7.62 would be primaries, i just wouldnt want to carry the ammo anywhere. and the bottom line is the firearm you are trained the most on should be the one you choose. the ability to disassemble, clean, reassemble, fire, and perform malfunctions corrections while sleep deprived or fatigued cannot be stressed enough. anyway, i am rambling. best of luck.
This is my first time commenting on a post on this forum. IM not even sure if this is the right way to do it.(IM using my Droid) on with my comment.
I like the idea of only carrying one kind of ammo. I don't plan on engaging anything/one past 100yds. .22 is a little light, i know it can do the job and there are pros and cons just like everything else. That being said, these are the two weapons that i own for edc/bug out situation.
Pistol: S&W sigma 9mm. It is just as reliable as a Glock, you could teach your 6 year old to field strip it,it holds 16 rds., and it is under $300.
Rifle/carbine: HI-POINT 995TSFLFG
It is very reliable, relatively light, accepts accessories, i payed $329 with the flashlight&VFG(Vertical foregrip), accurate to 100 yds., it is a pain in the butt to field strip though, that being said you only need to do it every 1000 rds. Or so, 10 rd. Factory magazine is the worst factor in my opinion, it works well just not enough.
9mm is pretty cheap and about half the weight of. 45
What do you guys and girls think of my rig?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
Tweto
Tweco

Liked 1435 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 859

Tweto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
This is my first time commenting on a post on this forum. IM not even sure if this is the right way to do it.(IM using my Droid) on with my comment.
I like the idea of only carrying one kind of ammo. I don't plan on engaging anything/one past 100yds. .22 is a little light, i know it can do the job and there are pros and cons just like everything else. That being said, these are the two weapons that i own for edc/bug out situation.
Pistol: S&W sigma 9mm. It is just as reliable as a Glock, you could teach your 6 year old to field strip it,it holds 16 rds., and it is under $300.
Rifle/carbine: HI-POINT 995TSFLFG
It is very reliable, relatively light, accepts accessories, i payed $329 with the flashlight&VFG(Vertical foregrip), accurate to 100 yds., it is a pain in the butt to field strip though, that being said you only need to do it every 1000 rds. Or so, 10 rd. Factory magazine is the worst factor in my opinion, it works well just not enough.
9mm is pretty cheap and about half the weight of. 45
What do you guys and girls think of my rig?
There's alot of people on this forum that will disagree me on this, but I concentrate on 9mm and .223. I have more .22lr then any other round and I don't need any more. If I thought things were going south in the next few weeks or a month (if I was smart enough to see it) I would pick up a semiauto rifle in the .308 range. The reason for the .308 is the penetration. Shoot thur cars, walls, brick walls, etc. I watching a history channel show about Bonnie and Clyde and there weapon of choice was the B.A.R. When the feds tracked them down Bonnie and Clyde leveled there B.A.R.'s on them and killed a few and put others in the hospital. They shot right through the cars and one of the feds was put in the hospital from wood splinters from the tree he was standing behind. Bonnie was just walking up to the tree while unloading the the rifle at the tree. The fed later said that the only thing that saved him was that Bonnie had run out of ammo.

Let the arguments begin.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #23
cqp33
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 379 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 548

cqp33 is on a distinguished road

308 has great penetration, no doubt about that one! Here is what I have and of course I am just getting to my land in east tennessee from wherever I am and bugging in there! 22LR for times when you want to be quieter than a high power rifle, bolt action 30-06 with a Leupold Mark 4 scope, Stag arms 4HL 5.56 AR with a BDC scope, Beretta CX4 with red dot scope chambered in 45acp and a ruger .45 semi auto pistol, went with the CX4 in 45acp so the ammo would be the same for both pistol and carbine. Since hunting and defense would my primary goal the 30-06 is for "reach out and touch"! inside say a few hundreds yards the AR is a constant star performer. Once inside 100 yards the CX4 is great, depending on the situation I have a a few choices, it is a lot of different ammo flavors but a well stocked closet covers problem well! I also have a couple of shotguns, pump and single shot with several loads to choose from there as well along with my wifes little pistols too. If I only had to go with a couple I would say a 22LR and an AR and always a pistol too! Just my opinion and my tool box!

For the record, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here! It is how you feel with your firearm, someone could be just a deadly to that "deer" with a 22LR as they could with a 308! If one is comfortable with it the firearm will better perform for them!

Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
on_the_rox

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

on_the_rox is on a distinguished road

I have a Browning Buckmark camper for a pistol and a Marlin model 60 for a rifle in 22lr. i think these and a nice lite 1000 rounds of ammo would get me far. This is the lite way to go. If needing to add extra firepower I would probably choose a pump 12 guage and a 308 rifle. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
hayseed
hayseed

hayseed is on a distinguished road

this might be the one thread where we are all right.lol.
you look young fit and sturdy so you may have the luxury of bringing more stuff than me and my dear old bugout buddies who are over the hill and under the weather. bugging in you might go with what you have most confidense in. i'll die before i'm ever trapped again so i'm a bugout guy. i have to base everything on what i can carry and what will be available to take.make a passable suppressor for your .22 and carry a brick to trade and hunt. i love the .45 and .223 only because i know that they will knock your ---k in the dirt. zombie or no zombi and they will be available. i have a 223 single shot with scope for 2 or 3 hundred yards if it come to it but we have heavy cover here so thats the max. you may be in the open. just in case, one of us has a 338 for cutting firewood and zombies behind rocks.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #26
Magus
Scavenger deluxe

Liked 3149 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 2210

Magus is on a distinguished road

I'm seriously eying the new glock carbine conversion and forgetting the arsenal until I get to camp.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #27
FatTire
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 584

FatTire is on a distinguished road

ive seen this mention in other threas and on other boards, and it always sticks in my craw. personaly, i would be very leary of trading anyone for anything, whan what i give them can be used to take my dna out the game. if you have the ammo, that gives you the advantage, either because you have the capacity to kill food, or simply just denying others that particular method of killing you. my personal tule is that i wont barter stuff you can use to do me harm.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #28
mojo4

Liked 918 Times on 475 Posts

mojo4 is on a distinguished road

IMHO, if I had to walk in a bugout situation, I would pack a slingshot, 9mm pistol and .223 rifle. The slingshot is very quiet and has unlimited ammo as long as you can find rocks. Great for small critter hunting. The 9mm because a glock 17 is far lighter than a .45 glock 21 when fully loaded and the magazines hold more rounds. The ammo you can use in 9mm has similar ballistic hurt potential as a .45 and you can carry lots more. The .223 for large game hunting and self defense. When loaded they weigh far less than an ak or .308 assault rifle and after humping around for a few days you will feel every ounce of weight. In a bug in the weight won't matter as much so break out the .50 cal barrett!!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #29
TraumaHawk2011

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

TraumaHawk2011 is on a distinguished road

Mossberg 500 persuader 12 g Shotgun, Beretta PX4 40 s&w. Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380, large knife and battle axe

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #30
scoot

scoot is on a distinguished road

glock 22 , kel tec sub 2000 40cal takes glock 22mags and 10/22

Quick Reply