Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Equipment & Survival Kits > katadyn Water Purifyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #21
survivalboy12895

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

survivalboy12895 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
I was at the local sporting goods store looking at water purifyers, they had several Katadyns. The one that caught my eye was$289.00 with a ceramic filter and was good for13500 gallons on the filter. It is also a minimalist back pack size. It is on ebay for near the same price. Does anyone have experience with Katadyn brand? I would be interested in your input.
I like that one to.Its called the Katadyn Pocket filter.But I don't like its price.Check out the Katadyn Hiker.Its only about $70.This is the type I store in my BOB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
sailaway
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 288 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 384

sailaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the HIKER have both ceramic and charcoal filtration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalboy12895 View Post
I like that one to.Its called the Katadyn Pocket filter.But I don't like its price.Check out the Katadyn Hiker.Its only about $70.This is the type I store in my BOB.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #23
HozayBuck

Liked 1274 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 40

HozayBuck will become famous soon enough

Really dumb question...REALLY...

Has anybody tried running salt water thru any of these filters? Sorry but it popped into my head... I guess because Sailaway's handle made me think of being at sea...

Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #24
SurvivalNut
Retired Army

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

SurvivalNut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozayBuck View Post
Really dumb question...REALLY...

Has anybody tried running salt water thru any of these filters? Sorry but it popped into my head... I guess because Sailaway's handle made me think of being at sea...
There aren't any dumb questions, ever!

Regarding ceramic filters with or without carbon...

Here's a quick snippet from the Berkey Filter website:

Can I filter sea (salt) water through my Berkey system?

No. The concentration of salt in sea water will more than likely ruin the elements fairly quickly.

I have a water softener installed in our house, can I filter that water through my Berkey?

Some people do, but we do not recommend it. It is best if you put water in your Berkey that has not gone through your water softener (the excess salt will likely shorten the life of the elements).

In case of an emergency, can I take water from our pool and filter it with my Berkey system? Will all the chlorine be removed?

Yes. The Berkeys can make chlorinated pool water safe for consumption. However, keep in mind that such a use will cause the elements to wear faster. So, you should only do so in case of emergency.

There are further answers that will lead into a discussion on Reverse Osmosis (which removes a majority of the salt), but I will leave that for the experts.

Short answer is no, but a good question, especially inland since salt water based Chlorination systems in swimming pools are becoming more popular.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
pdx210

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

pdx210 is on a distinguished road

Katadyn makes desalination filters

Products - Katadyn Products Inc.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #26
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 254 Times on 126 Posts

bunkerbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You guys worry me when I hear those statments, "I store in my BOB"..."put more in your BOB"... "my BOB can take more", thing, I'm already over weight and I don't think I can hold much more.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
Expeditioner

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Expeditioner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here are the basics on the Hiker. I own both the Hiker and Pocket model. The Pocket model is IMHO the better of the two for long term heavy duty use. I use the Hiker on short hunting and fishing trips, or when I am going camping for just a few days.

America's best selling water microfilter. Unique Anti-Clog filter requires no cleaning. Compact and lightweight (only 11oz ), the Hiker is perfect for backpacking and camping. Simple design and easy to use. Chosen "Best of the bunch" by Backpacker magazine field testers. Eliminates bacteria and Protozoa (Giardia & Crypto). Carbon core reduces pesticides and chemicals, producing fresh tasting water. Ergonomic handle makes it easy to pump 1 liter/minute. Size 6 1/2" x 2 3/8".

The outdoor market's best selling microfilter

- Compact design and easy operation
- Chosen "Best in the bunch by a long shot" in Backpacker Magazine's field test for ease-of-use
- Best choice for all-around use

Microfiltration Method: AntiClog Technology: 129 square inches of pleated 0.3 micron glassfiber media
Output: Up to 1 quart (1 liter)/minute (48 strokes/minute)
Cartridge Capacity: Up to 200 gallon capacity depending on water quality.
Weight: 11 oz
Height: 6.5"
Hose Lengths: 36"
Includes Hydration System Connector, Universal Bottle Adaptor, Modular Prefilter, zippered carry bag and field tips.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
sailaway

I was at Bass Pro Shops today looking at their filters, the salesman told me about one made by Sawyer, it gets down to one micron. He said our military uses it and that we sent lots of the to Haiti after the recent earth quake. They wont have them in stock until this fall, but REI carries them. Their cost will be about $79.00.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
Expeditioner

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Expeditioner is on a distinguished road

I know of the Sawyer filters but have never used them. It is my understanding that they only make in-line filters (which rely on gravity) and the filter bottles. A few relief organizations have used the inline filters with success. Both products are probably okay as long as you have easy access to the water source.

I know that MEC supplies the military most of its water filtration systems. Don't know if Sawyer provided any filters to the US military.

I like the pump set up of Katadyn or similar system because in some scenarios the only way you may be able to access the water is by pumping it through a tube. The other feature I like is the filter can be removed form the pump once its useful life has been reached.

No matter what you end up purchasing the condition of the water will affect the efficiency and effectiveness of the filter.

Look at the cost per gallon. Deterime the cost per gallon: (unit price $$$)/useful life of filter cartridge.

Last edited by Expeditioner; 03-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 AM   #30
sailaway

Thanks Expoditioner, You are correct, the Sawyer is an inline. Cost per gallon is a good equation to considder. I like your pump thoughts also.

Quick Reply