Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Equipment & Survival Kits > Is a folding shovel worth the weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #51
cajunmeadows

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

cajunmeadows is on a distinguished road

Yes military issue if at all possible is the way to go. Like mentioned above. Digging , chopping . self defense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #52
TheAnt
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Liked 451 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 526

TheAnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunmeadows View Post
Yes military issue if at all possible is the way to go. Like mentioned above. Digging , chopping . self defense.
Shucks, a .45 with enough ammo can do all that!

God helps those who are helpless: “For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” – Romans 5:6.

God help us.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #53
dragon5126
Tired of Posers

Liked 30 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

dragon5126 is on a distinguished road

cant believe the number of people who dont know how important a shovel is. I pack an E German E Tool ( type with the pick as well as shovel) First thing I did was remove the handle sand it and epoxy impregnate it... in short took and made a fixture out of a pipe that it fit in and put the handle in it and liquid type 2part epoxy. screwed the cap on and pressureized it to 150LBS forcing the epoxy into the wood... kept it cool to slow the curing, and removed the handle after half an hour and pulled the handle to allow air out of the pores, then warmed it a bit and repeated the pressurization and release a handfull of times, in short made it into pacca wood. ( yeah I like to play wit chit) and them took it out and let it cure and sanded it and painted it and put it back together. Theoretically it should be substantially stronger, it's definetly waterproof so it wont rot out if it doesnt get a chance to dry before being put away, which was my intention in doing this, as well as experimenting in making a new material for knife bolsters and pistol grips. If I had a better pressure chamber setup I probably could have jusr pressureized it much higher and let it cure in the chamber if it had a liner that the epoxy would stick to instead of the pipe...

Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #54
headhunter

Liked 109 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 35

headhunter is on a distinguished road

You may like to play with it; you may be full of it. That said , it was an interesting read. I like to whittle and I always wondered how some people managed to carve things so thin without them breaking I found that they treat the wood with super glue before it gets too thin. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #55
mosquitomountainman
I invented the internet. :rofl:

Liked 3705 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 4414

mosquitomountainman is on a distinguished road

I re-check this thread on occasions just to see what's been posted. Just out of curiosity, how many of you actually do any backpacking? The OP mentioned bugging out with what he had on his back.

I carry either a hatchet, small axe, tomahawk, or a machete. I also carry a couple of knives. My digging utensil is a small trowel. IME, a sharpened shovel makes a very poor substitute for a hatchet/axe or even a machete for cutting or fighting. Since I do far more cutting than digging I'd rather use them. If you're planning on digging fortified positions while bugging out then dig them deep enough to bury your body in because you're going to die. Mobility is your best resource in a firefight. Maintain a static position and you will die.

You are not a military unit. You don't have the numbers, the firepower, or air and/or artillary support to hold a position. I'm assuming everyone in your group will be a friend or family member. Staying alive and unwounded is paramount. If you find yourself in a fight use a gun, get it over quick, and leave the area.

Multiple use tools, by definition try to fill many roles. They usually do them all poorly. For me, an e-tool is just extra weight better utilized for more food or ammo. (Or save on the weight and travel faster and farther.)

Seriously, do some, on-foot bugging out with fully loaded packs and see how many things you should have left at home. I have a feeling the shovel will be the first to go!

Cheers!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin

http://livinglifeoffgrid.blogspot.com/
http://povertyprepping.blogspot.com/

Old 02-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #56
roym6015

roym6015 is on a distinguished road

I with oldvet and don't get a fold up one get a small camp shovel or something sturdy. The play on many fold ups are a waste of energy,and energy is important to me.It's a quick weapon and good for many other things having a cutting edge on the side could be really useful and can be made with a file. A good file is a good thing to have when the walmarts shut down and you need sharp things.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:36 AM   #57
roym6015

roym6015 is on a distinguished road

I can't see using a garden shovel for anything more than a small hole.You must be a lot stronger than me because that seem like far too much work for a hole for your body. Your right a shovel with a sharp edge is a poor substitute for the proper tool,but it is an extra tool in the pack if you need it. I like my machete, it's not an ax,but it works when you need it.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #58
ReconCraftTheta
WWII Reanctor/Architecture Student

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

ReconCraftTheta is on a distinguished road

I say yes. Obviously some are lighter then others, but they have their draw backs.

On my kit I have a West German one from the 60's, a bit heavier, but its weight actually makes digging a bit easier imo. A lot of my friends have tri-folds which work just as well. Just make sure you pay for what you're getting. Stay away from crappy knock offs of mil-spec. The bend and break way to easily.

"...In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." - Hunter S. Thompson

272 Fusiliers!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #59
dragon5126
Tired of Posers

Liked 30 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

dragon5126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
You may like to play with it; you may be full of it. That said , it was an interesting read. I like to whittle and I always wondered how some people managed to carve things so thin without them breaking I found that they treat the wood with super glue before it gets too thin. Thanks!
No problem, I'll try to return the insult some time... The problem with cyano acrylate's is they tend to get brittle themselves. Resins on the otherhand tend to stay plastic. The advantage with the cyano acrylate (stupid glue) is that it is thinned to be useable with acetone which penetrates wood very well. If you ever need to put a finish on Rosewood, the oiliest stuff in the world next to Obama's back, wipe it down with an acetone saturated cloth, and before it drys, superglue the surface. If you have a glass bottle and glass stopper like the OLD dram sized nitro bottles empty a tube of SG in it and thin with pure acetone. apply with a brush clean brush with acetone... Used to do it this way back in my gunsmithing days.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #60
cqp33
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 413 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 571

cqp33 is on a distinguished road

I have an E-tool but carry a lightweight hatchet in my pack instead, if I need to dig I use it to break up the soil then use my hands to move what I have broke up. If I need a hatchet I am not using the side of a shovel head. If I need it for self defense, nuff said! Bottom line is use what you are comfortable with, carry the weight you can reasonably carry (pack your BOB and go on a 5 mile hike then tell me how important that 3 pound shovel is!). I do this regularly, pack my BOB and go on a 4-6 mile hike, keeps me in shape and every time I learn something about the gear in my pack!

Quick Reply