You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Off The Path > International Current News & Events >

Oroville Dam Mandatory Evacuation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
hiwall
Just walking at the edge of my grave

Liked 5723 Times on 2229 Posts
Likes Given: 1044

hiwall is on a distinguished road

Turns out the dam itself was never really in any danger of breaching. The main spillway is toast though!
Repairs to the main spillway and beefing up the emergency spillway will cost taxpayers quite a bundle of money and take a couple years or more. Good thing California has plenty of spare money.

Times are tough - keep your powder dry

When is doomsday gonna get here?

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
AmishHeart

Liked 2133 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

AmishHeart is on a distinguished road

You were joking, right? They will no doubtedly hire a slew of overpaid union workers to fix it. I read that they were not concerned about the spillway when it was built because the global warming gurus told them they weren't going to get a lot of rain.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #13
Meerkat
Seeking The Truth
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2753 Times on 1572 Posts
Likes Given: 4469

Meerkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedygarden View Post
I I just found these videos which are well done, IMHO. They are not short though! The second one is 19:20 long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIwzJ0Dnz9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQe0J5NLLT4

This could get very dangerous. I'll watch these fro sure later.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #14
hiwall

Governor Moonbeam has already asked Trump for federal money to fix all of California's infrastructure. Has Cal-exit been called off now?

When they were doing the emergency repairs, many of the workers had to be sent home because they were non-union.

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #15
Meerkat
Seeking The Truth
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2753 Times on 1572 Posts
Likes Given: 4469

Meerkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishHeart View Post
You were joking, right? They will no doubtedly hire a slew of overpaid union workers to fix it. I read that they were not concerned about the spillway when it was built because the global warming gurus told them they weren't going to get a lot of rain.
Unions were badly needed in the past to save lives and fair wages. Now they have taken been over by libs. When a janitor in a university makes 6 figures something most students can only hope for something is seriously wrong. When a light bulb cost a days wages to change same thing.

When I was on the lien at GM the union and management were bossom buddies.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 AM   #16
weedygarden
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 5066 Times on 2020 Posts
Likes Given: 14263

weedygarden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
Unions were badly needed in the past to save lives and fair wages. Now they have taken been over by libs. When a janitor in a university makes 6 figures something most students can only hope for something is seriously wrong. When a light bulb cost a days wages to change same thing.

While being safe at work, and earning a livable wage are important, it has seemed that unions have almost caused the breaking of this country. I understand why companies send their jobs overseas. They don't have to pay near what they would have to in this country for labor.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:54 AM   #17
hiwall

Quote:
that unions have almost caused the breaking of this country
That is true.

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2017, 04:17 AM   #18
drfacefixer

Liked 780 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 541

drfacefixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post

You know if you say it enough, some people will think it's true! The avg custodial job in California still pays under $35000. http://www1.salary.com/CA/Janitor-salary.html. Almost all universities publish their salaries. Rutgers is near the top with 42k. There are a few outliers and some stories that make it seem like custodians have it made, but it's not as great as you say it is.
The story that is always repeated is the one of Mr. Zhang that works for the BART system in San Fran. He made $220k in 2015.

What’s great about this story is that Mr. Zhang didn’t just accept his $58,750 base pay. He decided to take advantage of the BART overtime system and work harder - See more at: http://www.financialsamurai.com/abolish-welfare-mentality-six-figure-bart-janitor/#sthash.s0uYlFBC.dpuf

First, his job is slightly different than the average custodians since he's cleaning train stations and involved in some maintenance. Secondly, he does has a higher cost of living in San Fran. And most importantly, HE WORKED every single day of the entire year to maximize overtime. Every day he got up went to work, sometimes for back to back shifts. Never a sick day, never a vacation. Good for him.

Quick Reply