Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Health & Medicine > Tuning Forks to Diagnose Broken Bones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
tsrwivey
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1568 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 5712

tsrwivey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackbottomLouis View Post
A tuning fork came in my assessment kit I had to buy for nursing school. It is for diagnosing broken bones. It is much thicker than what I consider a normal tuning fork. We have not done this in our skills lab yet but I have the lab on Monday and can ask my instructor to walk me through the process a little early out of interest. I'll see if I can get it down and report back specifics.
Can't wait! I have a 16 month old boy with no fear of falling or heights so I'm sure I will be needing this skill. That would sure beat sitting in the ER for hours waiting on x- rays.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
drfacefixer

Liked 268 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 214

drfacefixer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsrwivey View Post

Can't wait! I have a 16 month old boy with no fear of falling or heights so I'm sure I will be needing this skill. That would sure beat sitting in the ER for hours waiting on x- rays.
You are just going to self refer to an orthopedic surgeon or set it yourself? While you can avoid an ER in simple nondisplaced factures you would risk taking a simple fracture that could potentially be splinted and treated with 6 weeks of no weight bearing and make it a surgical open reduction internal fixation by inappropriate diagnosis.

Also remember that children tend to greenstick fracture... tuning fork wont help you there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply