You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Health & Medicine >

Storing Antibiotics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
NurseAmyfromDoomandBloom

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

NurseAmyfromDoomandBloom is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone!

It's nice to join your group, I hope Dr. Bones and I can provide some guidance in medical preparedness. We have been involved with this issue for a logtime and are dedicated to answering any questions you may have. I am an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner and Joe (Bones) has been a MD and surgeon for over 35 years. We spend our days writing and researching solutions to help others learn medical preparedness. It is our mission and goal to help as many people as possible.

Our article on shelf-life may be interesting to you:
http://www.doomandbloom.net/2011/10/the-truth-about-expiration-dates.html

Thanks,
Nurse Amy
doomandbloomdotnet

Last edited by *Andi; 05-14-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Moderator: Approved post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Onebigelf

Liked 184 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Onebigelf is on a distinguished road

http://www.truthistreason.net/guide-to-veterinary-drugs-for-human-consumption-post-shtf

Much the same info, but a little more complete.

John

Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
NurseAmyfromDoomandBloom

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

NurseAmyfromDoomandBloom is on a distinguished road

Hi John,

I didn't respond with the uses for antibiotics because this thread says "storing antibiotics", but we have all of that info also, if you are looking for it.

Kevin from Truth is Treason (a friend) asked us if he could use our articles to write that (see the last few paragraphs where he talks about Joseph Alton M.D., that is my husband aka Dr. Bones), it is a summary of several different articles we have on our site. If you want more details on antibiotic uses, we have a 4 part, very detailed, series, written in November.

Here is the first one:
http://www.doomandbloom.net/2011/11/antibiotics-and-their-use-in-collapse-medicinetm-part-1.html

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I have started a thread for fish antibiotics and antibiotic uses, so it is under one thread, and easy to research.

Thanks,
Nurse Amy

Last edited by NaeKid; 05-14-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Moderator: Approved post

Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Gypsy5

Gypsy5 is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks,
I am new here. I have a little change to toss in the pile. Antibiotics can be kept at a normal room temp or cooler for years. I have all my antibiotics under my bed in a plastic tote and they are as good now as they were four years ago. My house is kept at 68 degrees constantly. I did not always do this but several years ago my hubby became very sick and had no insurance or money. I had a seven year old bottle of Cipro stuck back. I got online and found an article about a government study on Antibiotics from the cold war days. The last test done a bottle of Keflex or it may have been Penecillin show it was beginning to mildly lose its potency. That bottle was 17years old in the early 70's. I have not been able to find that article again but I still look when I think about it. I gave Ty the ones I had and he was up and around in a couple of days. I know the expiration dates are more for safety or resales than for any other reason. Don't take me literally, though, keep researching. I also have some PDF's on Natural Medicine if I can get them to attach. You can also get free PDF
s at Scribd (well worth the trouble).

Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
kirklandwater

kirklandwater is on a distinguished road
Default How about Monolaurin

someone told me that Monolaurin is a very good.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
Padre
The Black Pilgrim

Liked 1432 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Padre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
I was advised by several docs that it extends the life of any capsule, tablets, or powder to basically vacuum pack and store in a freezer. That basically stops any degrading of the medication, so when it is taken out and used THEN the time to expiration starts BUT those expiration dates are just best estimates by the manufacturer to meet federal labeling requirements. Most meds are good years past the stated expiration date, so I have been told by folks I trust to know.
Cool dry does not necessarily mean a freezer. I have been warned that freezing some drugs can actually hasten their degradation.

Quick Reply