You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Health & Medicine >

I don't want to be a cripple!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
camo2460
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6240 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 15062

camo2460 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe View Post
The update:
I finally got the MRI, and it showed nothing. My spine is fine, and I show no broken bones.
I'm still in pain. I asked my doctor for something stronger than a 5mg pill of oxycodone combined with 325mg of acetaminophen.

He said he couldn't prescribe anything stronger because of the possibilities of addiction.
I told him yeah, I'd sure hate to get addicted to feeling no pain.

As it stands, he wants to do a massive injection right in the hip joint.
It takes 10 business days to get approved by insurance, and then once approved, he needs to wait for an appointment at an imaging outfit to give me the shot while in a CT scan.

It could be weeks and weeks until then.

In the meantime, I'm still gobbling pills (not so much the oxy) using heat and ice, along with tons of Biofreeze. Some days I can walk better than others.

I'm not going to threaten personal harm to myself, nor knock off a pharmacy, as much as I'd like to. There's so many things I can't do right now, that I feel as though I've lost a part of my life, and I just want it back NOW.

Just after making this post, I was called by the imaging place.
They're going to do the injection next Tuesday!!!!!!

Yay! I pray to God it works.
Joe I'm sorry you are in such Pain, but hang in there, it will get better. Your Friends here at P/S are all behind you, and pulling for you, and you will be good as new soon. I know you are aware of this, but it's worth saying again, be careful of those Oxycodone Drugs, Addiction to those things will cause you more Pain than you're in now. Just remember you have a lot of Friends here, we can't do much Physically, but we are here, and we support you you're one of the Family.

I have no desire to know or to understand them, just how much Lead and Iron it takes to kill them.
George S. Patton

BEEP, BEEP Wheezy
Pennywise

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #22
bbqjoe
Void where Prohibited

Liked 1793 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 52

bbqjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo2460 View Post
Joe I'm sorry you are in such Pain, but hang in there, it will get better. Your Friends here at P/S are all behind you, and pulling for you, and you will be good as new soon. I know you are aware of this, but it's worth saying again, be careful of those Oxycodone Drugs, Addiction to those things will cause you more Pain than you're in now. Just remember you have a lot of Friends here, we can't do much Physically, but we are here, and we support you you're one of the Family.
Thank you.

I got real close to getting upside down with pain pills once, so I'm knowledgeable enough not to let that happen again.

Someone played the wrong domino,
and caused the rest to follow.

~Bob Marley~

People Like This 
Old 07-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #23
phideaux
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9555 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 6255

phideaux is on a distinguished road

Hey Joe, have you tried any anti inflamatory pills?

When I get to hurting real bad, I take a Voltaren 75mg pill, and it REALLY heps.

3 Aleve tablets help also , not as strong,nbut ehelp.

Think anti inflamatory.

Jim

People Like This 
Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #24
bbqjoe
Void where Prohibited

Liked 1793 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 52

bbqjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
Hey Joe, have you tried any anti inflamatory pills?

When I get to hurting real bad, I take a Voltaren 75mg pill, and it REALLY heps.

3 Aleve tablets help also , not as strong,nbut ehelp.

Think anti inflamatory.

Jim
Yeah Jim, I have a whole jar of straight Naproxen.
They help some too.

Someone played the wrong domino,
and caused the rest to follow.

~Bob Marley~

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2017, 01:38 AM   #25
DrDianaAnderson
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2184 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 5554

DrDianaAnderson is on a distinguished road

Joe,
I'm sorry you're going through so much with your pain, and I can certainly relate. I had my right knee replaced 9 weeks ago. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up of some sort, and a product to which I am allergic was used. This made my leg break out into huge weeping blisters. So.... we had to remove the steri-strips, which made my incision open up. As the blisters healed, I started having something stringy come out of the incision- seems my leg did not like the V-Lock suture material, and was beginning to reject it. So, 9 weeks down the road and I still have an open incision, still have to rely on my electric scooter to get around at work, and still have a ton of pain. Of course, my left knee is not in the best shape either - I had surgery for a dislocated kneecap in January. I had been in a bad car accident years ago which resulted in losing my right ankle - multiple surgeries and 3 years in a wheelchair, and it is all fused together.

There is one thing I've learned throughout all of this, and that is life goes on whether you are hurting or not. I firmly believe that one can mentally defeat pain - at least most of the time and with some help!!

Have you tried any of the non-pharmaceutical ways of dealing with pain? I use guided imagery a lot (mostly since I cannot take pain pills and work!) Distraction techniques also work for me - as long as I use either of these before my pain gets out of control.

Be careful taking naprosyn too much- as an NSAID, it can alter your ability to clot your blood, and it can drill holes in your gut, too. Instead of asking for a stronger dose of oxy (or other high strength opioid), ask your doc if you can take a tylenol with the percocet (oxy). Although there is already 325 mg of tylenol in the percocet, additional tylenol could help. The reason is tylenol helps elevate your pain threshold (that means you can tolerate more pain before it becomes too bad). With the increased pain threshold, the oxy can do more to cover the pain you are feeling. Of course, if you have any kind of liver issues, your doc may be against the extra tylenol. Also, you can ask your doc about ketorolac (toradol) which is another type of non-steroidal, but is EXTREMELY effective for musculoskeletal pain. You can also try tramadol (Ultram) for pain instead of the oxy - it gives pain relief without as much of the sedation as you get with oxy.

Have you tried massage therapy? If your pain is related to pinched nerves and severe muscle spasms, massage may also be really helpful. I'm scared of chiropracters (I've seen the outcomes of some of the problems with chiropractics!) but you may want to consider that, too.

I sure hope you are feeling better soon, and that your injection gives you some relief!

Quick Reply