You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Health & Medicine >

Antibiotics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5196 Times on 2023 Posts
Likes Given: 2621

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road
Default Antibiotics

Came across this tonight. You can never have too much info on antibiotics.

http://www.truthistreason.net/guide-to-veterinary-drugs-for-human-consumption-post-shtf

Penicillin

Penicillin is an antibiotic in the penicillin group of drugs. It fights bacteria in your body.

Penicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, urinary tract infections, septicemia, meningitis, intra-abdominal infection, gonorrhea, syphilis, pneumonia, respiratory infections, ear, nose and throat infections, skin and soft tissue infections.

More information can be found here, including side effects, allergic reactions, etc.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Pen and 500mg Fish Pen Forte

Amoxicillin

A penicillin antibiotic. It fights bacteria in your body.

Amoxicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and E. coli or salmonella infection.

More information can be found here, including side effects, allergic reactions, etc.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Mox (for children) and 500mg Fish Mox Forte (for adults).

Ciprofloxacin
, or Cipro

Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones. It is used as a potent, broad-spectrum antibiotic to fight bacteria in the body.

It may also be used to prevent or slow anthrax after exposure.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 500mg Fish Flox Forte

Cephalexin, or Keflex

Cephalexin is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics. Keflex fights bacteria in the body.

Keflex is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections, ear infections, skin infections, urinary tract infections, tooth and mouth infections.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Flex and 500mg Fish Flex Forte

Doxycycline

Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic. It fights bacteria in the body. It may be substituted in place of penicillin to treat common infections in those people who are allergic to that particular drug.

Doxycycline is used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as urinary tract infections, acne, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, Lyme disease or tick bite infections, anthrax infections, cholera, periodontitis (gum disease), and others.

Exercise caution with expired Doxycycline / tetracycline and -cycline medications. There has been some documentation of liver damage and some have even labeled it toxic if used past the expiration date. However, Doxycycline provides a great alternative to penicillin medications for those who are allergic.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 100mg Bird Biotic
Dosages and Notes Regarding Veterinary Drugs

Joseph Alton, MD, is a medical doctor and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He is also a prepper, and writes:

“These antibiotics are used at specific doses for specific illnesses; the exact dosage of each and every medication is beyond the scope of this [article]. Suffice it to say that most penicillin and cephalosporin (Keflex and other cephalexin) medications are taken at 500mg dosages, 3-4 times a day for adults, and 250mg dosages for children, whereas Metronidazole (250mg) and Doxycycline (100mg) are taken twice a day.

It’s important to have as much information as possible on medications that you plan to store for times of trouble, so consider purchasing a hard copy of the latest Physician’s Desk Reference. This book comes out yearly and has just about every bit of information that exists on a particular medication, including those that do not require prescription. Indications, dosage, risks, and side effects are all listed.”

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Caribou
Time Traveler
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 11630 Times on 3379 Posts
Likes Given: 16913

Caribou is on a distinguished road

http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/

"Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." General Omar Bradley

Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
Iafrate

Liked 56 Times on 27 Posts

Iafrate is on a distinguished road

So you have these antibiotics, how do you do a differential diagnosis to determine which one to use?

Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
Cotton
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3920 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

Cotton is on a distinguished road

Are you asking a serious question? After 25 years in the bush you’ve never faced this? An infection, a cut, respiratory, urinary or intestinal? 25 years without such is incredible… I’m sure you have, how did you address this issue in the past? Please, share with us.

I suggest for any who haven’t to follow the advice of medical professionals in your family or group. Lacking that asset many medical reference guides are available for purchase. If you lack those two assets try a broad spectrum like usnea. I just posted about it in this board. It’s been used effectively for thousands of years. It does grow in Alaska.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
*Andi
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3753 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 3769

*Andi is on a distinguished road

Penicillin ... In my world means a trip to the ER, I found that out at a early age...

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Salt Life"

tsrwivey Likes This 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
musketjim

Liked 1018 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 24

musketjim is on a distinguished road

Been collecting fish antibiotics and started studying essential oils for an alternative. Physician Desk Reference is handy to have.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5196 Times on 2023 Posts
Likes Given: 2621

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iafrate View Post
So you have these antibiotics, how do you do a differential diagnosis to determine which one to use?
Did you follow the link at the top of the post?

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
lazydaisy67

Liked 1286 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 274

lazydaisy67 is on a distinguished road

I have stocked, and used those antibiotics for over a year now and we have had absolutely no adverse reactions of any kind. I figured it was probably prudent to try to use them now when medical care was available if, on the off chance, something did happen after taking them. I only use them if I've tried all the homeopathic remedies available to me and they've failed. I personally that this is an invaluable prep to have.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
OldCootHillbilly
Reverend Coot

Liked 4721 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 504

OldCootHillbilly is on a distinguished road

Good post UJ! I been lookin inta this. I thin they very much be worth havin on hand "just in case". Folks don't realize how quickly doctors, hospitals an the health care folks er gonna be overrun an run outa supplies.

We did a exercise last winter fer CERT, found out within 4 hours ofa major disaster were done. Ifin help can't get ta us from other facilities in the region, were gonna be on our own.

A old vet I knew years ago treated himself an family with the same stuff he was givin ta the animals. Told me it was exactly the same only difference was the dose.

Biggest concern be allergies, an fer the most part, ya should already know what ones those be.

Thanks.

THE DAY YA STOP PREPPIN IS THE DAY YA START DYIN
As does Radagast the Brown, I to am beginin ta "Prefer the company a animals ta men".
Who's got the jug a shine?
America - Where eagles fly but be ran by turkey's
Our blog: http://www.oldcoothillbilly.wordpress.com

People Like This 
Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
drfacefixer

Liked 956 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 633

drfacefixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCootHillbilly
Good post UJ! I been lookin inta this. I thin they very much be worth havin on hand "just in case". Folks don't realize how quickly doctors, hospitals an the health care folks er gonna be overrun an run outa supplies. We did a exercise last winter fer CERT, found out within 4 hours ofa major disaster were done. Ifin help can't get ta us from other facilities in the region, were gonna be on our own. A old vet I knew years ago treated himself an family with the same stuff he was givin ta the animals. Told me it was exactly the same only difference was the dose. Biggest concern be allergies, an fer the most part, ya should already know what ones those be. Thanks.
If you don't have any means to test or run basic labs, then the best you can do use use an empiric guide Like the Sanford guide. It's much better than the PDR.

Quick Reply