You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Off The Path > General Chit-Chat >

What I Seen today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 AM   #61
weedygarden
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 5216 Times on 2066 Posts
Likes Given: 14607

weedygarden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
I had an extra set of headlights installed on my car, they come on when I start the car and they go off when the ignition is turned off. This keeps me from having to jumpstart my car because i forgot to turn off my headlights..

In the middle of the day, in perfect weather, an ambulance is seen at twice the distance if they have their headlights on. That is not a small vehicle, you would expect an ambulance to sick out. Thirty odd years ago I was almost the only car on the street with their headlights on. Today the great majority of people all over the State drive with their headlights on.

Thanks for bringing this up.
When I lived in North Dakota, I noticed that all cars with Canadian plates always had their head lights on. I started to leave my headlights on when I drive. They turn off when I turn my car off, so no dead battery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 02:59 AM   #62
weedygarden
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 5216 Times on 2066 Posts
Likes Given: 14607

weedygarden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri9630 View Post
I think most new cars come with daytime running lights now. My daughters 2000 piece of junk vw and my sisters new car both have them.
I had a conversation with someone about car lights once. I became aware that people have different names for lights on your car and how and when they are to be used.

What are running lights? When I turn on my head lights, are those considered running lights? I

Ever see a car with their lights partly on, but not the head lights? Some people call those parking lights, and then, they would be used when you are parking, but maybe waiting for someone? Some people drive with only their parking lights on. I was told that you are not supposed to drive with just those lights on.

Do I have the names correct?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:31 AM   #63
AdmiralD7S
Supporting Member

Liked 1491 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 115

AdmiralD7S is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedygarden View Post
I had a conversation with someone about car lights once. I became aware that people have different names for lights on your car and how and when they are to be used.

What are running lights? When I turn on my head lights, are those considered running lights? I

Ever see a car with their lights partly on, but not the head lights? Some people call those parking lights, and then, they would be used when you are parking, but maybe waiting for someone? Some people drive with only their parking lights on. I was told that you are not supposed to drive with just those lights on.

Do I have the names correct?
I've always considered running lights to be the lights on your car that let OTHER people see YOU. These include dim brakelights as well as dim "always on" turn signals on the front. Headlights are the bright lights that let ME see OTHERS.

Running lights let me know that a car is turned on (i.e., it is running). In a parking lot or curbside parking, running lights indicate they're stationary. Headlights indicate the driver's intention to move. Again, these are my interpretations or, more likely, my fantasy of an ideal world...your reality may vary.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:04 AM   #64
Pessimistic2
Watching the world self-destruct!
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1612 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Pessimistic2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralD7S View Post
I've always considered running lights to be the lights on your car that let OTHER people see YOU. These include dim brakelights as well as dim "always on" turn signals on the front. Headlights are the bright lights that let ME see OTHERS.

Running lights let me know that a car is turned on (i.e., it is running). In a parking lot or curbside parking, running lights indicate they're stationary. Headlights indicate the driver's intention to move. Again, these are my interpretations or, more likely, my fantasy of an ideal world...your reality may vary.
These terms mean different things to different people......be safe, if visibility is fading away (rain, overcast, dusk, whatever), turn ALL of 'em on! Well, except in fog....then use your fog lights (if you have them) or "dim" the headlights. The thing is, make sure OTHERS can see YOU. I don't worry too much about MY driving....it's the OTHER drivers that scare the hell out of me!!

I'm attempting to give a damn about all those "foreign nations" that are receiving U.S. Aid, but hate us anyway. It ain't workin'.

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #65
tmttactical
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3477 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 10980

tmttactical is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimistic2 View Post
These terms mean different things to different people......be safe, if visibility is fading away (rain, overcast, dusk, whatever), turn ALL of 'em on! Well, except in fog....then use your fog lights (if you have them) or "dim" the headlights. The thing is, make sure OTHERS can see YOU. I don't worry too much about MY driving....it's the OTHER drivers that scare the hell out of me!!
When I travel, I understood the saying "smoke if you got em". I can't tell you how many idiot lives it has saved on the road. I stop, visit the bathroom (old guy remember) light up, count off a few number to continue to calm down and not go run the idiots off the road. Puff, Puff, okay move on down the road. Another life saved.
Old Yesterday, 02:07 AM   #66
terri9630

Liked 2522 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 5895

terri9630 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralD7S View Post

Don't drive down here near the border. Lights seem to be optional on some cars. Blinkers and brake lights must cost extra.

Due to recent cut backs the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 02:17 AM   #67
tmttactical
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3477 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 10980

tmttactical is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri9630 View Post
Don't drive down here near the border. Lights seem to be optional on some cars. Blinkers and brake lights must cost extra.
When I lived in Oregon, the problem was just the opposite. They love to drive with the high beams blinding everybody. I had a 280Z and high beam go directly in to the driver face. You have no idea of how many smoke breaks I had to take on a daily basis. Managed to leave Oregon without shooting anybody but lost half of my lung capacity. Oh well, better that sharing a cell with BuBBA.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM   #68
Flight1630

Liked 550 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Flight1630 is on a distinguished road

In Canada by law we need daytime running lights DRL. since 1989.
https://www.google.ca/search?site=&source=hp&ei=Ayb5WJ6kA-ysjwTs7YagBQ&q=canadian+daytime+running+light+requ irements&oq=&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.41l3.0.0.0.4426976.1.1.0.1.1.0.515.515.5-1.1.0....0...1c..64.mobile-gws-hp..0.1.60.3.pp7ChrO_Zok

Just a Canadian trucker

People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM   #69
Flight1630

Liked 550 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Flight1630 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimistic2 View Post
Nothing like jumping in six pages into the thread!!!!
Looks like a Hercules. (Or maybe its baby brother....)
http://www.military.com/equipment/c-130-hercules
Could be I didn't get a good look at them. By the time I figured out were they were and got cell phone out to take pic they were pretty much gone also didn't help I was on narrow twisty road with my truck.

Just a Canadian trucker

People Like This 

Quick Reply