You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Off The Path > General Chit-Chat >

The Road

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
weedygarden
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 6364 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 16776

weedygarden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackbottomLouis View Post
He left the bunker for 2 reasons.

1. Fear of discovery by other people

2. Staying in the bunker did not achieve the goal of his travels

The goal of his travels was to find a caretaker for his son because he knew he was dying and his son wouldnt survive on his own. Good movie. Depressing but good.
This could be something to consider in the future. There may be children who are left orphaned, with no one to care for them, or where those who could are not within reach.

Never say never:

1. Never taking any children? (we might see a situation like this)
2. We are never letting anyone else in or feeding them. We may end up with someone at our doorstep who can do something we desperately need done.

Cannibalism was shown in the movie. There is something that no one wants to face. We all know how barbaric it is.

Starvation: We can only carry so much food and water.

Movies like this are depressing, and some people don't want to or just can't think of any of the possibilities shown in the movie. I always think it is better to think about the possibilities, no matter how horrible, so that we can think if we encounter them, instead of being frozen in shock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #12
CrackbottomLouis
Winston Smith Sent Me
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17257 Times on 3647 Posts
Likes Given: 5830

CrackbottomLouis is on a distinguished road

Not sure any would survive that kind of scenario. An end of all life on earth scenario is beyond my ability to prep for. I prep for scenarios I have a chance of surviving. All others are in bigger hands than mine.

I once met a man named Galt.
He said it didnt matter who was at fault.
The looters will loose and moochers be d*mn*d,
Because Ragnar has a Colt!

People Like This 
Old 03-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #13
weedygarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackbottomLouis View Post
Not sure any would survive that kind of scenario. An end of all life on earth scenario is beyond my ability to prep for. I prep for scenarios I have a chance of surviving. All others are in bigger hands than mine.
Oh, I have thought that there may be an end of the world event. Some of us may survive and be the last of the last. We have no idea how this will really go down, except by reading and studying Revelations.

Imagine being the last of your family, the last of your community, the last person.

I always think that in a situation that the main character was in with his son, why the community hadn't tried to come together? In any situation there are going to be evil people, but there are also going to be good people who will work together for the common good. This is why we need to know our neighbors now and to begin to at best we can, know who we can trust and not trust. I believe people will show their true colors in tough situations.

I imagine neighbors joining forces, working together in one or a few homes or buildings to support each other with security, food, heat, and other needs. Of course, in all groups there are going to be people who are more difficult, but there are also people who can and will provide comfort and will rise up to as needed.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
Meerkat
Seeking The Truth
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5276 Times on 2631 Posts
Likes Given: 6881

Meerkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedygarden View Post
Oh, I have thought that there may be an end of the world event. Some of us may survive and be the last of the last. We have no idea how this will really go down, except by reading and studying Revelations.

Imagine being the last of your family, the last of your community, the last person.

I always think that in a situation that the main character was in with his son, why the community hadn't tried to come together? In any situation there are going to be evil people, but there are also going to be good people who will work together for the common good. This is why we need to know our neighbors now and to begin to at best we can, know who we can trust and not trust. I believe people will show their true colors in tough situations.

I imagine neighbors joining forces, working together in one or a few homes or buildings to support each other with security, food, heat, and other needs. Of course, in all groups there are going to be people who are more difficult, but there are also people who can and will provide comfort and will rise up to as needed.
So right. I was watching youtube today about how wonderful people can be. Caring for others and animals who are suffering. Not much good news today about humanity so it is truly inspiring when it happens.

Here is one I watched today that will make you cry tears of sorrow and joy.

https://youtu.be/WO7TmKgPMBQ
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #15
weedygarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
So right. I was watching youtube today about how wonderful people can be. Caring for others and animals who are suffering. Not much good news today about humanity so it is truly inspiring when it happens.

I have seen this story before. It is a sad and joyful story. There are not enough people who are willing and able to be so generous.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #16
musketjim

Liked 1158 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 25

musketjim is on a distinguished road

I thot the book was ok, but for the first time in awhile I thot a movie was better than the book. I've read the Patriot series and the Going Home series and thot they were superior books to the road. Same genre just better style. Never read Book of Eli but enjoyed the movie.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #17
weedygarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjim View Post
I thot the book was ok, but for the first time in awhile I thot a movie was better than the book. I've read the Patriot series and the Going Home series and thot they were superior books to the road. Same genre just better style. Never read Book of Eli but enjoyed the movie.
I read Patriot, and then tried to read the rest of the series. I found Patriot okay, and the ideas and information were good. The rest of the series was much more difficult for me to get through. After reading them, I read reviews and found that others were in agreement with me.

I own copies of the book and DVD of The Road . I don't own many DVDs.

I am not familiar with the Going Home series, but I will check it out.

Some people have written great stories that are posted in PS forum.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #18
tmttactical
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8653 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 28032

tmttactical is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post

Thank you for posting the link. It did bring a few wet drop to my eyes. We don't need government, we need community.

Quick Reply