Prepared Society Forum banner

What vehicle will survive an EMP?

44K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  headhunter 
#1 ·
I have a 1966 car, will this survive a natural or man made EMP and still work? Should I store an additional battery and fuses in a faraday cage? Thanks, in advance, for your help. I appreciate being a member.

#2 ·
Depends on how close you are to the point of impact! :D

A car that old probably doesn't have much in the way of electronics. As far as battery and fuses... I'd ask that question over in the "vehicles and transportation" part of this site.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us!

:)

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, if your car is a stock in origonal condition north american model chances a pretty good that it would not be damaged by an emp, during the actual blast the condensor might load up and cause poor or no operation temporarily, now if it has been updated or modernized there could be potential problems.

#4 ·
I have a car much older, 1930, what are it's chances of running after an EMP?

I have a trailer that will carry all my "stuff" in case we have to bug out. Problem is, I can't ask my mechanic this question because he lives across the street. Not only is it just a little too close to home, it's not a subject I want to discuss off the forum.

#5 ·
Emps or solar storm blasts endanger electronics first, transistors , diodes capacitors to some extent.
early vehicles 1963ish and prior. if in origonal condition, IE not updated with electronic ignition or an alternator(as oposed to a direct current generator) should not take any damage from an emp blast, exept for the possibility of the ignition condensor building up too much charge and causing temporary ignition interupt. make sure that these early engines have solid core spark plug wires, not modern suppresion core wires because the suppression core wires will break down very quickly under sustained use with point ignition.
After about 1963 alternators came into common use in north america. these systems are more suseptable to charging system failure, because of the possibillity of diode bridge failure due to over voltage.(these vehicles would probably still run until the battery went flat IF the charging system was damaged) In about 1974 most northamerican manufacturer went to Electronic ignition, which contains transistors diodes and capacitors, an well as most having electronic voltage regulators. Around 1986 most manufacturers started using electronic fuel management systems (computer controled) with a common diagnostic system called OBD1 (onboard diagnostics 1)
Contrary to what other members have posted I have seen actual modern (2005 and newer) ECM /ECU failure or shutdown malfunction caused by voltage regulator malfunction, so I believe that they will be highly at risk in a solar storm or emp situation.

#6 ·
Tirediron is right. From what I have read on the subject, pre-1974 vehicles without electronic ignition are a pretty safe bet with the condenser being the most suspect part. Diesels with mechanical fuel injection are considered to be the best bet. BUT some of the articles I've read suggest that newer vehicles will survive also. I don't think we'll know for sure until it happens. :dunno:
Just to be on the safe side, I'm on the look-out for an older ('80 or older) Dodge truck to use as a daily driver and already have a point-type distributor on the shelf if needed. :D

I have a car much older, 1930, what are it's chances of running after an EMP?
1930 what, Dixie? Inquiring minds want to know. :wave:

Tim

#7 ·
Tirediron is right. From what I have read on the subject, pre-1974 vehicles without electronic ignition are a pretty safe bet with the condenser being the most suspect part. Diesels with mechanical fuel injection are considered to be the best bet. BUT some of the articles I've read suggest that newer vehicles will survive also. I don't think we'll know for sure until it happens. :dunno:
Just to be on the safe side, I'm on the look-out for an older ('80 or older) Dodge truck to use as a daily driver and already have a point-type distributor on the shelf if needed. :D

1930 what, Dixie? Inquiring minds want to know. :wave:

Tim
Ditto... Weren't they called horseless carriages in those days? :p Alas, the only vehicle I currently own is a 74 Chevy Nova.. not the best bug out vehicle.. but if I get a hold of another condenser as a back up (I guess I should get an alternator too?), it'd most likely survive otherwise. What about older diesel trucks?

#8 ·
1930 what, Dixie? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tim[/QUOTE]

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Hey Tim,

It's an A Model. I had a 1976 Ford Granada and a 1977 Linc MarkV but after reading all the post, I doubted they would survive an EMP, so I sold them last year. I'm not comfortable talking to my mechanic about EMP's but I did have a chance to mention it to my brother today. He concurs that the A Model should survive in case of a needed bug out.

Attachments

#9 ·
Recent localized EMP story. A co-worker bought a new VW Passat. Drove across the country to visit parents. Lightning struck tree along driveway where the car was parked. Next morning his car was dead, as was his parents' somewhat older GM. Insurance company went back and forth with dealership where they towed the new VW. Eventually they decided to total the vehicle. Just too much electronics and no way to be sure it would be repaired OK. The wrote him a check and he bought a Toyota Matrix to drive home. The Parents' GM care had three processors replaced, engine, transmission and climate control I believe. But they did fix it. I haven't asked him the year of the cars. Just thought it interesting that one big nearby bolt of high voltage DC would total a modern car.

BTW, I'm a Hydroelectric Operator. Our plants, as they were up to about 1970, would probably be recoverable after an EMP. Today's plants would be junk.

#10 ·
Recent localized EMP story. A co-worker bought a new VW Passat. Drove across the country to visit parents. Lightning struck tree along driveway where the car was parked. Next morning his car was dead, as was his parents' somewhat older GM. Insurance company went back and forth with dealership where they towed the new VW. Eventually they decided to total the vehicle. Just too much electronics and no way to be sure it would be repaired OK. The wrote him a check and he bought a Toyota Matrix to drive home. The Parents' GM care had three processors replaced, engine, transmission and climate control I believe. But they did fix it. I haven't asked him the year of the cars. Just thought it interesting that one big nearby bolt of high voltage DC would total a modern car.

BTW, I'm a Hydroelectric Operator. Our plants, as they were up to about 1970, would probably be recoverable after an EMP. Today's plants would be junk.
Wow.. very interesting! I'd love to know the years of the cars if you can find out. :D

#11 ·
Cool car, Dixie. :beercheer: It may not be the fastest but from what my Dad tells me, they are dependable. :)

...Toyota Matrix...
Funny you should mention a Matrix. We had one towed in from the Interstate that had been struck by lightning while driving. Tech that had the car replaced several parts just to get it started. After getting it running, more damage was discovered (this not working, that not working, etc.). By the time everything was repaired, the adjuster said if they had known the extent of the damage to begin with (how could you know?) they would have totalled the car.

Tim

#14 ·
For what it is worth, last week near Houston, a friend's car was struck by lightening while he was driving down the Interstate. Fireball on the hood and everything. The car is a 2012 model. The engine kept running and he was able to make it to Houston. The car is of course fried, but it got him where he was going. Not exactly an EMP, but close enough.

Relative to actual EMP's: based on the SCIF facilities I have designed and built, some with Faraday cages, my guess is a car's hood and the metal body around the engine will serve the same purpose as a Faraday cage.

My $0.02

#16 ·
For what it is worth, last week near Houston, a friend's car was struck by lightening while he was driving down the Interstate. Fireball on the hood and everything. The car is a 2012 model. The engine kept running and he was able to make it to Houston. The car is of course fried, but it got him where he was going. Not exactly an EMP, but close enough.

Relative to actual EMP's: based on the SCIF facilities I have designed and built, some with Faraday cages, my guess is a car's hood and the metal body around the engine will serve the same purpose as a Faraday cage.

My $0.02
I wouldn't bet my life on that.there are a lot of openings and long runs of wire to act like antennas. 32v from a welder will fry an ECU so the multi thousand volts from a emp/ solar storm would be a bit worse, lightning is directional not a wall of voltage.

#17 ·
Anything pre 80's for sure.1974 Ford bronco or a Jeep for sure!
The only concern here is have they been updated with electronic ignition etc, although the electronic ignition should be a lot more robust than full electronic control systems

#18 ·
Wow.. very interesting! I'd love to know the years of the cars if you can find out.
I had chance to talk to my friend again. The VW Passat that was declared a total was a 2003. And he says his folks' GM was similar vintage (I'd initially thought it was older). I guess it was just a few feet further away from the lightning strike.

#21 ·
Transistors , chips and anything else with a tiny wire in it , probably your ECM/ECU, alternator voltage regulator , probably the power door lock / window controls if they are electronic. maybe the crank shaft / camshaft position sensors. basicly any electronic component that can't be trouble shot with a 12v battery and a test light. Some will tell you that the body is a faraday cage, but since this has only been simulated in lab tests some showing failure some not it is your own research that will make you comfortable. if you Faraday caged an ECU,starter relay(that can be remotely triggered) and a voltage regulator you should be able to make it drivable

#22 ·
[/QUOTE]BTW, I'm a Hydroelectric Operator. Our plants, as they were up to about 1970, would probably be recoverable after an EMP. Today's plants would be junk.[/QUOTE]

You might want to check your exciters and voltage regulators, plus protective relaying, as most if not all are solid state now.

I'm also a Power Plant Shift Operator at a USACE Hyrdo station.

Regards,

Dave

#23 ·
yours will be fine as long as you carry spare points lol and it uses a generator not an alternator. After a emp getting gas will be hard I suggest a wood gassifier bolted to your back bumper fema has the plans if you have trouble I can email them to you. I did some experimenting and found that horse manure burned the cleanest only producing water vapor and burned as long as wood pellets

#24 ·
yours will be fine as long as you carry spare points lol and it uses a generator not an alternator. After a emp getting gas will be hard I suggest a wood gassifier bolted to your back bumper fema has the plans if you have trouble I can email them to you. I did some experimenting and found that horse manure burned the cleanest only producing water vapor and burned as long as wood pellets
I disagree.. I believe there will be PLENTY of gas around in cars that are dead, and at gas stations. Gas is heavy and if most people don't have a vehicle, they aren't going to be carrying it anywhere. Now.. that being said, you could make the argument that the gas will go bad after a year or two, in which case, the gassifier would be a great long term solution.

If the country was ever whacked with an EMP attack, I'd seriously start looking at going back to horses for the long term. ;)

EDIT: I just searched and downloaded those plans. Printing as we speak..err.. type. Better safe than sorry right? ;)

#25 ·
Being an old Hippy, I have a '71 VW Bug, it's supposed to still run and we have spare parts stored! :)

But we don't plan to go anywhere unless we get burned out, we're bugging in for sure, roads will be really dangerous I think!

If we have a CME coming and we have some advance warning, I may try to go to town and buy up anything I can get my hands on (and write them a check of course!) hahahahaha

#26 ·
Being an old Hippy, I have a '71 VW Bug, it's supposed to still run and we have spare parts stored! :)

But we don't plan to go anywhere unless we get burned out, we're bugging in for sure, roads will be really dangerous I think!

If we have a CME coming and we have some advance warning, I may try to go to town and buy up anything I can get my hands on (and write them a check of course!) hahahahaha
EXACTLY!!!! :2thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.