Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Vehicle & Transportation > studded snow tires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #21
Bawman

Bawman is on a distinguished road

I guess it depends on your situation. There is a lot of good suggestions/opinions in here.

From my personal experience, studs have saved my rear-end on a few occasions. I live in upstate NY and was driving to Rochester from the southern tier with my girlfriend about 6 years ago; it was only my second year ever driving in the winter. It was 10 o'clock at night and the snow was coming down hard, the road had a lot of snow on it, ice in spots, you name it. Most of the drive was tricky, but the Finger Lakes got absolutely hammered. We must've seen 15 vehicles either stuck or in the ditch the whole way. Granted, I was driving very cautious and my eyes were popping out of my head I was so intently focused, but those studs saved my ass. I had a car btw, and seen big trucks on the side of the road. I know for a fact that if I didn't have the studs I would have been visiting those other vehicles in the ditch at some point in the trip. A few different times I've went up pretty steep hills in horrible weather with studs and wondered how the hell I ever made it.

No matter what tires you get, always drive careful and stay focused. If you're driving with reckless abandon, no tires will help you.

So anyway, you have to check with your local laws about studded tires. I'm speaking from experience here. I was driving a guy home from work a few years ago in the beginning of July and got pulled over for the studs. lol. It was late at night and the cop said I sounded like a tank coming down the road....so if you get studs make sure you get them off before spring (especially if you live in NY).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #22
bunkerbob
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 254 Times on 126 Posts

bunkerbob is on a distinguished road

WELCOME, Bawman, from a long time preparer. Look forward to more replies and posts.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #23
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2765 Times on 1461 Posts
Likes Given: 1591

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawman View Post
[...deleted...]

So anyway, you have to check with your local laws about studded tires. I'm speaking from experience here. I was driving a guy home from work a few years ago in the beginning of July and got pulled over for the studs. lol. It was late at night and the cop said I sounded like a tank coming down the road....so if you get studs make sure you get them off before spring (especially if you live in NY).
Thanks for joining up. On one of my Jeeps I have a set of MudTerrain tires that I had siped at a local-shop. The tires were setup for studs as well, but, I figured that studding those tires would not help me very much as I also use them in the summer-time. Here in Alberta, tire-chains, siping, studs, etc are all highly recommended, but, they are not not allowed during "summer-time". We can run studs (and are recommended to) from late-September / early October till early / mid-June.

We normally have a huge dump of snow late May (upto 24" overnight) and once that dump has happened and melted we are good for the summer

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #24
longtime

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

longtime is on a distinguished road

I have used studded tires in the past and they work great as long as you remember your on ice. However in Kansas we have very few days that need them so I have stopped using them and have a full set of chains (all four corners) that I use when traveling in the mountains. I know we have no mountains in Kansas, but we do in Colorado. You might want to consider the same if ice is a very limited threat.

As far as whats legal in the US see the the link. http://www.milexautocare.com/steering/steer6.htm

Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #25
kyfarmer

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

kyfarmer is on a distinguished road

I have used studs and prefer chains. Totaled a cherry 1970 challenger because of studs on a hot road just had rained but that was in 74 i was young and dumb. If you use them watch a wet road anyway. I lernt something today did not know ya could use them year round in ky.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 AM   #26
mosquitomountainman
I invented the internet. :rofl:

Liked 3950 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 4827

mosquitomountainman is on a distinguished road

I'm another fan of studded tires. They're legal here over the wintertime. I don't think they help a lot on snow but are great on ice. Chains are better but who wants to put them on and take them off? I still have to run chains several times a year and that's with a 4wd vehicle. I've seen ice frozen so hard chains just scraped across the surface.

Way back in the old days when the only front-wheel-drive cars were Olds. Toronados and Cadillac Eldorados people used to run studded tires on the rear on rear-wheel drive vehicles. It worked pretty good. You actually had more control when braking because the added traction from the rear tires tended to keep the vehicle rolling/sliding straight. Front-wheel-drive cars are a whole different ballgame. Running studded tires on the front drive axle may put the car into a spin when you let off the gas or downshift for engine braking. Even with studded tires on all four wheels this still happens at times. Still studded tires improve traction on icy roads.

We have winter and summer tires for our primary vehicle (Jeep Cherokee). Winter tires should have a softer rubber and manufactured in siping even if they are not studded. As has been previously stated the old "sawdust" tires (some manufacturers used crushed walnut hulls), worked well too but still not as good as studded tires. Studded tires do cause more wear on road surfaces which is why most places they're legal restrict the times you can use them. As long as they are balanced and the proper size they should not harm the vehicle in any way.

I've been running studded tires in winter for the last thirty years and will until the time I quit driving altogether. I ran studded tires in Kansas too. I remember quite a few ice storms growing up in eastern Kansas. (I now live in Montana.)

Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
kbamvakais

kbamvakais is on a distinguished road

I used to work in a tire shop, and i can tell you studed tires are useless, unless you regularly get huge amounts of snow and ice, heres a list of the best all terrain tires that go good in the snow/ice

BFG All Terrain
BFG Mud Terrain
Uniroyal Liberator A/T
Radial Trail Busters
GY Wrangler A/T
General Grabbers

I Personaly have an Explorer as a daily too and i have the Trail Busters on it and with the snow and ice here in missouri we have had it does great.

Quick Reply