Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Vehicle & Transportation > Do people ride moose in Canada or USA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Raven348

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Raven348 is on a distinguished road
Default Do people ride moose in Canada or USA?

Hi!

I've researched the brilliant idea of riding moose. I've found out that there is one guy in Sweden doing it. Apparently he has run in to several problems, all which have either been partially solved or proven non critical problems.

Problems had been; he didn't know how to train it, he solved that by training it both like a dog and like a horse and noticed which worked for each situation. Moose are sometimes violent, he solved this by showing himself dominant all the time, much the same as elephant trainers do. He got a costume made bridle and horseshoes that needed to be attached by a veterinarian (since moose don't have hoofs). Of course riding the moose was just barely working. Though it did "work" in the sense that he was able to ride and control where the moose was going, without being thrown of.

I also found a town in Russia where they have selectively breed moose since the Soviet era in hopes of one day have a breed of moose that are better suited for riding and other domestic uses. Very little information was to be found about this place, apparently nowadays they financed the whole thing by tourism, since the moose was already calm enough not to be dangerous.

I found nothing in the other two moose countries, USA and Canada. Have anyone of your ever heard of someone trying to ride a moose? Any attempts to train moose or even domesticate them?

(Yes, I have seen the clip of the guy trying to jump on a moose and get thrown off)

(Yes, I know the Swedish army tried to train moose in the 19th century)

(Yes, I know this is a silly topic)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2080 Times on 1144 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Umm ... I haven't heard of it before, so if anyone has been ridin' moose, they haven't shared it with me ..

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 935 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

Well, they're cracking down on keeping Elk domestically on "elk farms" and it isn't legal to keep deer domestically in the USA. I'm guessing it probably isn't legal to capture or keep a moose here, so I don't know if anyone has had a chance to try.

Moose MEAT is pretty tasty, I know that! lol

Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 823 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 1793

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysue View Post
Well, they're cracking down on keeping Elk domestically on "elk farms" and it isn't legal to keep deer domestically in the USA. I'm guessing it probably isn't legal to capture or keep a moose here, so I don't know if anyone has had a chance to try.

Moose MEAT is pretty tasty, I know that! lol
better tell THESE guys that...

Ohio Deer Farms

Deer Directory Featured Listing - Blackhawk Farm

TOWCOW Deer Farm

You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2290 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 2758

*Andi is on a distinguished road

I want to know what kind of fence you use to keep a moose in with.

One of our friends from "up North" said they were 'heck' on the fence they had around their dairy farm???

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Old 10-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Tirediron
RockyMountainCanadian
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1557 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Tirediron will become famous soon enoughTirediron will become famous soon enough

A Logger in Either Alaska or Northern BC had one that he skidded logs with, until breeding season and the moose would disappear for a while . I will see if I can find a link.

I don't think they would be the best choice, moose tend to not consider consequences at all

Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 935 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

There's one elk farm still here in NW Montana but the government has shut most of them down out of fear of "bruselosis" (however it's spelled) possibly starting and spreading to cattle, which is the livelihood of a lot of people here.

In the article about shutting down the farms, it stated that deer farms or keeping deer domestically had been outlawed in the US because of the concern over Cronic wasting disease. Maybe they only meant Whitetail deer? dunno. I don't have time to click on the links above, but thanks for posting the information. It's good to know, even if I'm the one who's wrong!

Based on what I've heard/read, I assumed moose probably haven't been domesticated and probably wouldn't be allowed to be.

Tirediron, that's interesting about one being used to skid logs. They certainly look strong enough! We have a lot of them around here and have been challenged by and almost run over by a few.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
HarleyRider
Comic Relief Member

Location: Between the sand and the alligators, in Sunny South Florida
Liked 165 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 679

HarleyRider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirediron View Post
A Logger in Either Alaska or Northern BC had one that he skidded logs with, until breeding season and the moose would disappear for a while .

He should have known that the moose was at his weekly meeting at the Moose Lodge!

I'm a prepper, you're a prepper, she's a prepper, he's a prepper, wouldn't you like to be a prepper too? Dr. Prepper, drink Dr. Prepper, ....

BlueZ Likes This 
Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
horseman09

Liked 202 Times on 117 Posts

horseman09 is on a distinguished road

Gypsysue, the reporter who wrote that article needed to research a little better. There are lots -- and I do mean lots -- of whitetail deer farms here in PA. Kinda funny because we also have a very healthy wt wild population. In fact, there are more deer in the county where I live than people. Suits me just fine.

As to chronic wasting disease, according to the PA Game Commission, chronic wasting disease does not occur in PA. Ahhh, consider the source, though.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 823 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 1793

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman09 View Post
Ahhh, consider the source, though.
TRUTH

You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.

Quick Reply