Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Vehicle & Transportation > Camo Painted Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Edwin Billingsworth

Edwin Billingsworth is on a distinguished road
Default Camo Painted Trucks

Do you guys think that painting my truck camo would be a good idea? I've alot of people do it around where I live. Would painting my truck camo do anything for me? I do live out in the wilderness, so I think it might camouflage it from far away but up close you would be able to tell it was a truck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2079 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 1223

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

A camo paint-job (to me) is something fun to do - not really necessary for hiding a vehicle in the woods. Would you choose a summer camo, winter camo, deep-woods camo, desert camo ...

Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Big B

Big B is on a distinguished road

Nae Kid, I disagree with you, a decent camo paint job is nice if you want to hide in the brush 'quickly'.
Yes you can cover your rig with tarps etc, but if you come to a trail head, it is nice to just back off the trail a bit and not be seen.
Quick tip: if you camo, do the chrome,grill etc, as it shines and is easily seen.
I camo'ed a truck a few years ago and after I applied my basic color scheme, I took local tree and brush cuttings, leaves etc and sprayed over them (like a reverse stencil) the look was amazing, and blended in with the local woods nicely.
BigB

Old 11-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
Tex
Pincushion

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Tex is on a distinguished road

Look into using a camo wrap. You can take it off if you don't like it.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
solaceofwinter

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

solaceofwinter is on a distinguished road

the camo wrap is nice, saw a guy with it and told him how nice it was, then jokingly told him i almost didnt see him.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
TechAdmin
Administrator
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 228 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 124

TechAdmin has disabled reputation

My Jeep is getting a fresh coat of Olive Drab though not for camo reasons, just like the color.

I think if you had a dedicated bug out or ranch vehicle it would be a great idea but for someone like me that lives in an urban area. I would just stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
solaceofwinter

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

solaceofwinter is on a distinguished road

olive drab and flat black are great colors (not necessarily together...)

Old 11-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
BobS

BobS is on a distinguished road

I am new to this board, but have a "bit" of experience with military vehicles as I have been an automotive engineer for the last 30 years+ and have worked for GM/MVO, AMGeneral, and others around the world.

You may be interested in the comments I have made on this board:

When SHTF - A Modern Day Survival Forum - View Single Post - What type BOV, what Camo BOV?

...regarding this very topic. Basically, camouflage is NOT "just" paint, but how you use it. You may identify my comemnts in this thread as BobS-same user name I have registered with here.

Best regards,

Bob

Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
sailaway
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 235 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 347

sailaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Camo depends on where you live, Up north in snow country all white would probably work, in the desert tan would be nice. living in Ohio I lean toward green. Since I live in an urban area I would stick out driving a camoflaged painted vehicle, it would probably attract more attention. I have wondered about a paint you could paint on when you need camoflage and wash off later so as not to stick out. I was in a surplus store the other day looking at camo screen covering and thinking about using that to cover the Jeep when I want to make it more obscure. I stay away from bright colored vehicles and lean more toward drab or earth toned ones.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2079 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 1223

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Camo depends on where you live, Up north in snow country all white would probably work, in the desert tan would be nice. living in Ohio I lean toward green. Since I live in an urban area I would stick out driving a camoflaged painted vehicle, it would probably attract more attention. I have wondered about a paint you could paint on when you need camoflage and wash off later so as not to stick out. I was in a surplus store the other day looking at camo screen covering and thinking about using that to cover the Jeep when I want to make it more obscure. I stay away from bright colored vehicles and lean more toward drab or earth toned ones.
I saw a 4x4 that was painted "Urban-Camo" one time .. the guy took his truck down to the "hood" and handed the kids there cases of spray-paint, he then covered his windows / tires / lights and had the kids go nutz ... graffiti covered the whole truck making it "invisible" when in urban-centers.

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Quick Reply