Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Homesteading > Water Filtering & Storage > Hot tub water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Tommyt

Tommyt is on a distinguished road
Default Hot tub water?

Hello, I am new to this forum and my wife and I are working on our food and water supply. We have a hot tub with 550 gals of water in it. Can this water be used as an emergency source of drinking water. If so will it need to be filtered, boiled or just treated with chlorine. Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Moby76065
Texan!

Liked 524 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Moby76065 is on a distinguished road

This all depends on what you've treated the water with.
Some chemicals will not be filtered out so easily.
I'd check the ingredients carefully and do your own research on the web to
determine how to remove them. Activated charcoal should remove a lot of things.

Another source of fresh water is your H/W heater. Provided you flush it regularly.
There is a valve on the bottom you can hook a hose to and flush it. If you've never
done it you'll get black sediment for about 3-5 minuets. Flush this every 3-6 months
(depending on your water supply) and should water supply become contaminated
as it has on the east coast you've got that much in storeage. I also recommend a
bathtub bladder.

Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

AND NEVER DIE ON YOUR KNEES!!!
GrinnanBarrett Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
FatTire
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 585

FatTire is on a distinguished road

i have a friend that used to test the water in hot tubs, lots of bacteria, very nasty. if it was me and i had to use it as a water source, id filter it and boil it.

Be Human First

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
PrepN4Good
BORN PESSIMIST; we are doomed

Liked 883 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 621

PrepN4Good is on a distinguished road

Last season "Doomsday Preppers" (I think) showed a couple who made hot chocolate directly from the water in their hot tub. Thought it sounded disgusting, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." ~ Princess Leia, A New Hope

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
hiwall
Just walking at the edge of my grave

Liked 2366 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 669

hiwall is on a distinguished road

I agree with those above-use it as a last resort for drinking. It would make good water to flush your toilets.

Times are tough - keep your powder dry

GrinnanBarrett Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Tommyt

Tommyt is on a distinguished road

Thanks all, agree that it could be a last resort for drinking. Just thought about all that water sitting there. I will rely on other sources!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
LincTex
Jack of all trades?

Liked 5493 Times on 2874 Posts
Likes Given: 12797

LincTex is on a distinguished road

Build yourself a slow sand filter to run the water through first... a layer of charcoal as Moby suggested would be excellent...... then run it through a Berkey. I would drink it after that!

Boiling 550 gallons would use up a LOT of fuel.

At the same time, get a food-grade 55 gallon plastic barrel and fill it with water, then keep it in a dark place. You can use this water to drink from while you are filtering and treating the hot tub water.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Series80

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Series80 is on a distinguished road

I have a hot tub and although I wouldnt use it for this application , unless it was thouroughly cleaned and used the tub soley as a water collector , theres just too much bacteria in hot tubs , sure you might ingest some of this water on occassion ,no big deal , but usually you will use things like shock to clean it and ph balance chemicals , clear water chemicals , theres many kinds of chemicals that are used in a hot tub , like someone else said , im not sure you can filter out all these chemicals , I keep my tub at 103 degrees ,this will not kill bateriums , so the need for chemicals exists ,boiling will kill the baterium but it will not do a thing to the chemicals (although it could cause a chemical reaction)

Quick Reply