Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > What to wear to the Apocalypses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
HozayBuck

Liked 1273 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 40

HozayBuck will become famous soon enough
Default What to wear to the Apocalypses

This is a subject I think we have all kind of slipped on, or maybe we just don't talk about it so I'm going to pretend it's all my idea

What to wear to the Apocalypses ? I think I'm pretty OK in a lot of the prep stuff but I'm really not.. when we have to start living rough then we need rough clothing... I have a young friend who's Special Forces in the Stans , and I have a picture of him in his gear, and he's all decked out with great gear but he's wearing gray Carhart bibs ! now I hunt in the same bibs except in tan but his gray ones really blended into the rocky background !!

This photo made me start thinking about what we wear.. as I said I hunt in bibs mine are insulated and I've worn them every winter in MT for the last 25 years !! the same set!!.. they are a tad bit tight in the gut but they are still in good shape.. which brings the point of this..

I'm of the opinion that levies just won't cut it and that Carhart's will and bibs are much better then coveralls simply because they are easier to get into and out of..

When hunting in MT I wear sweat pants under them , if you spend the day in them doing nasty work you can just take them off at the door and stand them in the corner , you can work in dirty cloths and still be clean when you take them off... they are very tough and not easy to tear, they protect from briers and with padding in the knee just make things better ..

Carhart makes pants also and jackets and hip length coats.. they will keep you warm and protect your hide.. they come with or without insulation .. also your shirt stays tucked in lol..

I've mentioned having a pair of lace up boots since 73 I do, and they are still in very good shape, they are on the 3rd set of vibram heels and soles , the day I bought them in Alaska I set them on the open door of the oven and after getting them hot I rubbed mink oil into them and repeated it every once in a while.. the leather is still soft and while not water proof still keeps my feet dry unless I have to wade thru a creek..

Most of us will buy a gun or ammo and never think about covering our hide.. and how long it may be before somebody can make clothing again.. or boots...

I couldn't knit a wool cap if my life depended on it..which it may!!..

I won't go on with this but hope others will jump in.. it's a weak place in my preps and maybe yours...

If you have to fight, do not fear death.We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
And if it is to be that you die, then at least meet your God nobly and with pride.Meet it as the proud warrior that you were, not as the sniveling coward so many are. Nobody lives forever-get over it.
Die like a man.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
TheAnt
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Liked 451 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 526

TheAnt is on a distinguished road

Very good post!

We all need good boots and tough clothes if you believe you are going to have to go any time without Wally World or Targei (Target?).

Ive never worn a "bib" since I was a wee lad though.... I absolutely LOVE my Cabelas boots though and mine usually last at least 5 years and I wear them EVERY DAY. A little soap and water, dry them, then apply mink oil and they are as good as new!

God helps those who are helpless: “For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.” – Romans 5:6.

God help us.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
SixGunsRattlesnake

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

SixGunsRattlesnake is on a distinguished road

I keep a set of warm weather clothes, and cold weather clothes. Both pants, one is thicker and looser to make room for a set of thermals. Three layers is important. Thermals layer one.
Loose fitting cargo pants and shirt layer two
Then a set of carhart overalls and jacket.
Cold weather waterproof boots and thick wool socks.

It's a pain to carry but I keep the lot in my BOV.

I fear no weather

Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
JustCliff
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 176

JustCliff is on a distinguished road

I have to admit, I have way more clothes then my wife or daughter. Massive amounts of socks, underware and tshirts, all from holidays. Maybe 20 some pants that are put back. Many of those are in smaller sizes. I know I will loose weight.
I have 3 new pair of boots, still in the box in the closet. My feet havn't changed in years. I have snagged all of my wife and daughters old work boots. They are still in good shape, they just get new ones every year or 6 months.
I buy close out and end of season specials for winter things like thermals. My size is tough to get but, my wife and daughter wear very small so I buy the boys sizes.
I think the only thing we really lack is gloves. Good gloves never seem to go on sale.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
md1911

Liked 72 Times on 45 Posts

md1911 is on a distinguished road

Good thought I have military issue fatigues. Their tough and u can get tjem cheap

speak softley and carry a big stick

Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
mdprepper
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 652 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

mdprepper is on a distinguished road

That was an eye opening post HozayBuck! Thank you for bringing it up!

I must say that this is an area I am truly lacking in! Time to start checking Goodwill and the thrift store!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Emerald
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 174 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Emerald is on a distinguished road

I just got hubby a pair of insulated carharts for the holidays(with my swagbucks thanks Pam!) and they only cost $67 thru Amazon.. he likes them so much that I may get myself a pair and my son and son in law and daughter.. that way we all have a pair of really nice outdoor clothes.
I do have some nice hiking boots that are well made and about 10 years old and other than replacing the shoe strings and rubbing them with mink oil they still almost look new.. Now there is a thought.. freaking shoe strings will be a hot ticket item for the stash!)
I do know how to make moccasins and while I know the basics of hide tanning.. I have not done it.*yet*
Plus I have tubs of jeans that we have either out grown or the style went out or I just can't fit into and I do make quilts from them but with having that many in storage.. I think that I will probably lose weight and be able to fit back into many of them again.. see everything does have a silver lining..

Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
GaryS

Liked 424 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 78

GaryS is on a distinguished road

Guess I'll have to get by in military chic. I still have three pairs of woodland BDUs, starched and ready for inspection. Two new pairs of Air Force boots, one pair sage green, lightweight Danners with GoreTex uppers, and a pair of standard issue desert tan. Still have two lined field jackets...one OD, and a waterproofed woodland pattern. Throw in the web belts, boonie hats and OD underwear, and I could almost pass for active duty! I even have several sets of OD fatigues left.

Cold weather wouldn't be a problem, as I still have my hiking gear from years ago...good Raichle boots, wool pants, down parka, and lots of layer stuff, but I'm too old to do much tromping around in the woods, so hunting gear isn't required. Also have several pairs of moccasins, shoes and lightweight boots, including a couple of new pairs of crosstrainers still in the box. Ditto for underwear and socks. If it seriously hits the fan, my clothing supply will be around long after I'm gone...but while I'm still around, I won't win any fashion shows.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
Emerald
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 174 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Emerald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Guess I'll have to get by in military chic. I still have three pairs of woodland BDUs, starched and ready for inspection. Two new pairs of Air Force boots, one pair sage green, lightweight Danners with GoreTex uppers, and a pair of standard issue desert tan. Still have two lined field jackets...one OD, and a waterproofed woodland pattern. Throw in the web belts, boonie hats and OD underwear, and I could almost pass for active duty! I even have several sets of OD fatigues left.

Cold weather wouldn't be a problem, as I still have my hiking gear from years ago...good Raichle boots, wool pants, down parka, and lots of layer stuff, but I'm too old to do much tromping around in the woods, so hunting gear isn't required. Also have several pairs of moccasins, shoes and lightweight boots, including a couple of new pairs of crosstrainers still in the box. Ditto for underwear and socks. If it seriously hits the fan, my clothing supply will be around long after I'm gone...but while I'm still around, I won't win any fashion shows.
Your post made me remember that my hubby has two foot lockers of his old military uniforms and such..sure he is gonna have to lose some weight but the boy can fit in them and so can I.. haha.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
DJgang
I put SAs on IGNORE!

Liked 1240 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

DJgang is on a distinguished road

My bikini, it will make the zombies turn the other way.

In seriousness, I did get a good pair of winter hiking boots this year.

Quick Reply