Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > What is the shelf life of colloidal silver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
faithmarie
mamoo
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1027 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

faithmarie is on a distinguished road
Default What is the shelf life of colloidal silver?

I was wondering what the shelf life of colloidal silver is and whether it changes after it is opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
twiggie
The end is extremely nigh

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 117

twiggie is on a distinguished road

With a couple .999 Fine Silver rods or coins and a 9V battery you can make your own so there's no need to stockpile it.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
faithmarie
mamoo
PS_SUPPORTER.png

I just bought a little generator but I am kind of afraid and how do I know it is working.... wait till I turn blue? kidding.
I am going to try it. I was sick a few weeks ago when on vacation and we found a health store ... I bought a bottle. and I drank it all that day and was completely fine the next day. So when I got home I bought a little silver genny.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
booter

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

booter is on a distinguished road
Default Shelf life of colloidal silver....

I have been making & using colloidal silver for about 19yrs. when stored properly it has no expiration that I'm aware of (store as you would the old style medicine solutions, in brown glass/doesn't carry an electrical charge to cause the silver to fall out of suspension). Store in a cool/dark cabinet, don't expose to direct sunlight (same reason you store in glass), store away from close proximity to high energy electrical sources/magnetic fields (same reason you store in glass).

When making your colloid, do so in a clear glass container, in a shaded room so you can watch the process in action (the anode/cathode process will produce minute bubbles on one silver rod, and the other rod will dissipate the silver particulate throughout the water). I'm not sure of your manufacturing directions, but I've been working with this so long, that I use visual cues to determine when the desired potency has been achieved. You'll feel more comfortable as you begin to work with it. I wouldn't use coins because of the alloyed metals content, & it actually takes at least 3-9volt batteries to effect production, also the fines of the silver content needs to be .9999 fine/purity of silver, 'the purer the better'. 30volts is needed for production, so 3X9volts=27volts, this is sufficient, I made my own generator w/4X9volts=36volts, everything happens a lot quicker so I have to be dilligent in watching production.

Last edited by booter; 04-20-2010 at 08:05 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
faithmarie
mamoo
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Hi Booter,
Thanks! I bought a little generator and it came with a little tester thing. I made it in a darkened room like you said. And them I strained it threw a coffee filter. And I read if you put an aerator, if I am saying that correctly, like you use in a fish tank...... a small one. Do you do that? I save amber glass jars when ever I find them. And I make ..... well 4 quarts so far... in clear glass mason jars.
The little generator came with two silver rods little black box you put them into with batteries and the battery operated measuring thingy....
The whole thing cost 50$. I have a water distiller also.
It took 90 minutes to make it with a measure of 14 when I put the measuring thingy in it.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
YCNAN

YCNAN is on a distinguished road

Can you store c. Silver in the fridge?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
The_Blob
performing monkey

Liked 832 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

The_Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCNAN View Post
Can you store c. Silver in the fridge?
You could, but they still 'degrade'...

... but WHY would you want to?

Use of silver preparations can lead to argyria, a condition in which silver salts deposit in the skin, eyes (argyrosis), and internal organs, and the skin turns ashen-gray. Many cases of argyria occurred during the pre-antibiotic era when silver was a common ingredient in nosedrops. When the cause became apparent, doctors stopped recommending their use, and reputable manufacturers stopped producing them. The official drug guidebooks (United States Pharmacopeia and National Formulary) have not listed colloidal silver products since the 1970s (1975?).
An herbal distributor named Leslie Taylor tested nine commonly marketed colloidal silver products available at health-food stores and concluded:
Two of the products were contaminated with microorganisms.
The amount of silver suspended in solution varied tremendously from product to product and would gradually decrease over time.
Only three products actually showed antibacterial activity in a laboratory test. To perform the test, she prepared a culture plate with Staphylococcus aureas bacteria, which can cause infections in humans. She then placed a drop from each product on the plate and used disks of two common antibiotics as controls. After eight hours of incubation, she found that bacterial growth had been inhibited around the antibiotics and only three of the products.
Of course, the fact that a product inhibits bacteria in a laboratory culture does NOT mean it is effective (or safe) in the human body, high doses of chlorine will kill germs too. In fact, products that kill bacteria in the laboratory would be more likely to cause argyria because they contain more silver ions that are free to deposit in the user's tissues.
Independent laboratory studies have found that the amount of silver in some product samples has varied from 15.2% to 124% of the amount listed on the product labels. The amount of silver required to produce argyria is unknown. However, the FDA has concluded that the risk of using silver products exceeds any unsubstantiated benefit. So far, one hundred eleven cases of argyria related to silver products have been reported.
Argyria is generally believed to be irreversible, with the only practical method of minimizing its cosmetic disfigurement being to avoid the sun, but laser therapy has been used to treat it with mixed results. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) describes argyria as a "cosmetic problem", which is not life threatening, it is mildly disfiguring and thus some people find it to be socially debilitating.

You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
cybergranny

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

cybergranny is on a distinguished road

In my studies the argyria was caused by using tap water, salt in the water, and humongous amounts. It falls out of suspension when the colloid particles are too large. In other words made improperly. I too have been making and using it for over 15 years (on my animals too) and no reprocussions. I even use it in a nebulizer. I also wouldn't buy it for the reasons listed by the blob above. In bad situations I would make it anyway I could if medical help was not available.

How do you know a politician is lying....his lips are moving.

Viking Likes This 
Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
gunsmith

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

gunsmith is on a distinguished road

that colloidal silver stuff looks like total quackery to me.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
chatpaltam

chatpaltam is on a distinguished road
Default how to know?

dont know if its quackery or not, all i know is my husband took it all winter , and he was the only one who did not get a cold. just the three tsp a day of 10ppm. he will try it again next winter and see if theres a pattern..
every other year before that he always got two colds and bad ones that lasted two weeks.[I on the other hand rarely get colds, yet i have fibromyalgia to make up for it!]
I and my sister on the other hand, took it and the first dose we took we got a headache that lasted all day,
are we terribly toxic and that was a detoxifying effect?
it did something.
hmmm

Quick Reply