Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > vacuum sealer help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
CrackbottomLouis
Winston Smith Sent Me
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1849 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 1542

CrackbottomLouis is on a distinguished road
Default vacuum sealer help needed

Looking for one online. Dont know which one to get. Saw the Rival vacuum sealer and price seemed right but hate to go cheap on items I plan to use alot. Comments suggestions?

I once met a man named Galt.
He said it didnt matter who was at fault.
The looters will loose and moochers be d*mn*d,
Because Ragnar has a Colt!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3509 Times on 1740 Posts
Likes Given: 1747

Davarm is on a distinguished road

I have the "Food Saver" V2220, have had it for a few years and haven't had any issues with it. It uses either 11" or 8" inch bags and has a port for a jar sealer.

I dont think that model is available anymore but a similar one is the V2244.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=9902

The one I had before the V2220 was a Rival. It croaked because I let a bit of liquid be sucked up into the vacuum pump and that was the end of it but I had no issues with it up to the time I let that happen.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
goshengirl
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2572 Times on 1203 Posts
Likes Given: 8374

goshengirl is on a distinguished road

A big thing to consider would be supplies. Where can you get the bags (or bag material) for the different sealers? I can get the FoodSaver products at my grocery store or at a Walmart - the other company names are harder for me to get. Just something to consider.

Like Dave, I also have a FoodSaver. I got my current one off Amazon - it's a really, really basic one. Found I didn't need (or even want) the bells and whistles that come on some of the other models.

"These are the times that try men's souls." - Thomas Paine
Swagbucks
A Soapbox With a View

Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Sentry18
Hired Gun
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10264 Times on 3707 Posts
Likes Given: 3983

Sentry18 is on a distinguished road

I just got the Foodsaver V3440 for Christmas and I love it. Works great and came with some nice accessories. It also lets you use a variety of bags and canisters, like one that allows you to vacuum seal things in recycled jars (like pickle jars). The Foodsaver portion control bags are perfect for sealing up smaller items. Since it was a gift I did not pick it out, my wife did. But she said the reviews were very positive, her friends who have vacuum sealers recommended it and she said the same thing that Goshengirl said; bags and supplies were readily available locally (but cheaper online). I am sure there are many other awesome vacuum sealers out there, but I am definitely enamored with Foodsaver.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
smaj100
Jack of Alot, Master of Few........

Liked 483 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 310

smaj100 is on a distinguished road

I also recently found the 11" expandable bags at my local rural king. These come in very handy for bulky items as you can seal one end expand the bag to fit almost anything and then simply fold the other end back up and seal it too.

I was able to seal up rice, beans, etc in 5 gallon buckets using these bags instead of mylar.

We have a pretty old foodsaver model, but it still does the job and has the port for vacuum sealing lids onto jars. We also have several of the vacuum seal containers from foodsaver (I think we got them at walmart) for when we open the big packages of rice, beans etc to keep it as fresh as possible as long as possible.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
invision
Supporting Member - Crazy Huh?
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Location: up there, over there, down there, - quiet I KEEL YOU - Ka-boom, three Ps --peanuts, pecans, and peaches.
Liked 904 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 70

invision is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry18
I just got the Foodsaver V3440 for Christmas and I love it. Works great and came with some nice accessories. It also lets you use a variety of bags and canisters, like one that allows you to vacuum seal things in recycled jars (like pickle jars). The Foodsaver portion control bags are perfect for sealing up smaller items. Since it was a gift I did not pick it out, my wife did. But she said the reviews were very positive, her friends who have vacuum sealers recommended it and she said the same thing that Goshengirl said; bags and supplies were readily available locally (but cheaper online). I am sure there are many other awesome vacuum sealers out there, but I am definitely enamored with Foodsaver.
I have this same model, have had it for 8 months now and it is rock solid... The bags can be cut down in size, you can also get containers with lids, etc... Great buy...

Space For Rent!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
backlash

Liked 463 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 79

backlash is on a distinguished road

We bought a set of plastic canisters that are made for the food saver.
Every one of them cracked within a few months.
We use the jar sealer and it works great.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
k0xxx
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1095 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 587

k0xxx is on a distinguished road

We have an old Food Saver that we've owned for about 15 years, and it's still going strong. However, last year we purchased a Weston Pro 2300, and it is a great machine. It does automatic sealing, but also has a manual mode that lets you control just how much vacuuming is done so you can vacuum things like bread without crushing them. It was a good bit more expensive, but it has proven to be worth the extra cost.

At my age, rolling out of bed in the morning is easy... Getting up off the floor is another story.

goshengirl Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
CrackbottomLouis
Winston Smith Sent Me
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1849 Times on 886 Posts
Likes Given: 1542

CrackbottomLouis is on a distinguished road

Im hearing foodsaver a lot.

I once met a man named Galt.
He said it didnt matter who was at fault.
The looters will loose and moochers be d*mn*d,
Because Ragnar has a Colt!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
goshengirl
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2572 Times on 1203 Posts
Likes Given: 8374

goshengirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0xxx View Post
We have an old Food Saver that we've owned for about 15 years, and it's still going strong. However, last year we purchased a Weston Pro 2300, and it is a great machine. It does automatic sealing, but also has a manual mode that lets you control just how much vacuuming is done so you can vacuum things like bread without crushing them. It was a good bit more expensive, but it has proven to be worth the extra cost.
I get the impression that Weston is to the food sealer world what Excalibur is to the dehydrating world. Do they have attachments to use with mason jars?

"These are the times that try men's souls." - Thomas Paine
Swagbucks
A Soapbox With a View

Quick Reply