Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > Underground Containers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #31
greaseman

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

greaseman is on a distinguished road

I used a 5 gallon bucket with an "o" ring seal for a buried container. PVC pipe in large sizes is very expensive. The plastic buckets are cheap, and offer a lot of storage space.
If i put something in there for long term storage, I vaccumm seal the item, so moisture or dirt is never a problem. I did make sure my family knows where I put the bucket in the ground.
By the way, I have a good gun safe, but my primary reason for the hidy hole is a safe stash place if I get a home invasion. I'm sure I would open the safe with a gun to my head, unless I had the chance to get the drop on them first. it's kind of an issue of not storing all your eggs in one basket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #32
Expeditioner

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Expeditioner is on a distinguished road

A source on ground cacheing was posted in the how-to section. It has some useful info as well. Here is the link to the post.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f39/ground-cacheing-871/index2.html#post18709

Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
NavyKen

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

NavyKen is on a distinguished road

Little late getting in on this discussion. First let me say be careful burring 20' and 40' containers. We were discussing this issue on one of the other forums and turns out that these containers (kind you see on trains, trucks and ships) are strong only on the floor and corners. these points can handle a tremendous amount of weight but the sides and top will not, so be careful how deep you plant them and what you place on top once buried.

Second as to what people are burying. It is called a cache and it is a back-up to the back-up. The few people I know that cache items do it in out of the way places like national forests and state parks. They do it in remote lightly traveled locations to minimize chances of the cache being found. Items being cached are food, clothes, medical supplies, maps and technical documents, barter items, precious metals, guns, ammunition, and long term camping equipment.

The container most commonly used to protect the items is a painted steel 55gal open head drum sealed with silicone.

Rom 1:16 for I am not ashamed of the gospel
9 times out of 10 if something feels wrong it is
My dog has more food stored than 99% of America
NRA Life Member
READ THE CONSTITUTION

Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #34
waynemart
Waynemart

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

waynemart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
A friend of mine, has 100 acres and equipment, back hoe, etc.
He buried a whole 50' container, under about three feet of soil, with a cement access hole, as in a manhole access. He hid the entrance under carefully planted bushes and some black berry bushes.
nobody knows except his wife and son.

You could also park a cattle feed distributor on top of it......
Hmmmm.........
Speaking of burying shipping containers.... Check out what I did on You Tube.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #35
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2671 Times on 1415 Posts
Likes Given: 1526

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Nice video there Wayne ... is that really your backyard? If so, way too sweet!

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #36
Expeditioner

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Expeditioner is on a distinguished road

I have used a couple of small gangboxes that I picked up at an auction for setting up some smaller caches. Items within the boxes are in waterproof containers/packaging. Make sure you place your cache near landmarks that are likely to survive a SHTF situation. Yes you can alos take GPS coordinates but GPS might not be working.

NavyKen is correct about being careful about burying the big containers if you bury too deep they will need some extra support to keep the top from caving in under the weight of the fill dirt.

Last edited by Expeditioner; 02-23-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #37
labouton

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

labouton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman View Post
I used a 5 gallon bucket with an "o" ring seal for a buried container. PVC pipe in large sizes is very expensive. The plastic buckets are cheap, and offer a lot of storage space.
If i put something in there for long term storage, I vaccumm seal the item, so moisture or dirt is never a problem. I did make sure my family knows where I put the bucket in the ground.
By the way, I have a good gun safe, but my primary reason for the hidy hole is a safe stash place if I get a home invasion. I'm sure I would open the safe with a gun to my head, unless I had the chance to get the drop on them first. it's kind of an issue of not storing all your eggs in one basket.
What about burying paper and the effects of condensation???

Old 12-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #38
IlliniWarrior

Liked 222 Times on 107 Posts

IlliniWarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Add 02 and Moisture Absorbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman View Post

The vacuum will only hold on a FoodSaver type pack for 6 months .... not intended or suitable for long term storage (LTS) ..... when you pack a bucket or any airtite container you should add 02 absorbers and desiccant packs (moisture absorbers/ aka silica gel) .....

Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #39
survivalist72
survivalist homesteader

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

survivalist72 is on a distinguished road

plastic 55 gallon containers used for rainwater catchment can be had for 25 dollars most places. Check crags list or find a local source somewhere.
Stores well, doest rust out, animals don't eat thru the plastic, waterproof,

Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #40
Woody
Woodchuck
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 2169

Woody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniWarrior View Post
The vacuum will only hold on a FoodSaver type pack for 6 months .... not intended or suitable for long term storage (LTS) ..... when you pack a bucket or any airtite container you should add 02 absorbers and desiccant packs (moisture absorbers/ aka silica gel) .....

I can see adding the 02 absorbers and desiccants to the bucket but I have never had issues with my food saver seal lasting only 6 months. Is this from personal experience? I have some items that were sealed years ago and they are still airtight, at least as far as I can tell. There is no visible sign of leakage at all. Perhaps you/they did not hold the lid down long enough for it to fully melt together?

Quick Reply