Prepared Society Forum banner

Underground Containers

67K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  questor 
#1 ·
I'm wondering what would be the best containers for long term burial....and don't say a coffin!

#3 ·
BKT probably meant to say you can have them in 1" INCREASES, in sizes to well over 18" in diameter at the hardware store.

I agree, but that is an EXPENSIVE way to do things.

And, the amount of waterproofing you will need to do will depend on what you are trying to preserve and where you are trying to preserve it...

The Desert is a dry climate, but it's hard to dig through the concrete hard Salt/Alkaloid crust that is just under the surface, so be prepared for a rock hard layer there!

The good news is you don't have to ever worry about standing water in the hole, so turning a water resistant container up side down so the water can't run in and stand when you bury it will probably do the trick.
--------------------------

In ground that is more wet and standing water is a real threat, remember to use a WATER TIGHT container that will maintain a seal for a long period of time.
PVC pipe is good here, since you can 'Pipe Dope' a threaded end cap, or just seal both ends up with caps and glue, but that means cutting open the container when you need something out of it...

Again, seal it up good, and if you have an 'Access' point, bury it facing DOWN so if the seal fails, the container doesn't fill with water and stand there!
------------------------

If you plan to store underground in saturated ground, you MUST make sure you container won't float!
We had some flooding this spring that brought things to the surface that were never meant to see the light of day again! (Coffins for one!)

Why do you think the graves are ABOVE GROUND in swamps!
-------------------------

Some tips for storage underground...

If you are storing firearms or other metal items,
Make sure you use a second container, storage bag, smaller container, ect, and make sure your metal items are protected from condensation!
Use a storage paper or heavy grease to keep surface condensation off your hardware!

Make sure there is something in the top of the container that won't hurt if it gets wet, between your hardware and the lid/seal...
That's so when you turn the container over to bury, and the seal leaks, your hardware will be in the air pocket in what was the bottom of the container.

Shop around some of the bigger Surplus Stores for containers, they are MUCH cheaper there than trying to build your own stuff from pipe and usually intended for moderately long term storage when you find them.

If you use metal containers, and if you bury something that is large or odd sized, you probably will use a metal container,
Remember to coat the outside of the container with basement sealer for exterior blocks or tar to keep the moisture and natural salts/acids from eating through the container.
Really lay it on THICK, may coats if you intend it to be there for long term storage.

If you own the land you are digging on,

Consider where you are burying things carefully.
Things buried under a side walk section on your own property is handy, secure, and you can be sure no one is going to dig that up without your advanced notice.

Things buried in a yard where the city or any number of utility companies can dig right on through might be a bad idea.

Sidewalks poured in sections are EASY to pry up with just a long pry bar and a fulcrum, and sidewalks explain why there might be a metal detector signal from that location...
Rebar or concrete wire in the cement.

Poured concrete pads for lawn decoration, like benches, water features, BBQ grill pads make good places if you want to spread yours away from the house.

Storage under places like the garage floor is a bad idea.
Lot's of hammering and hard to get to, and you will leave behind evidence that is REALLY hard to explain!

If you do want to store in the house, pour a slab next to a wall or footer (after you have secured your hardware) and then build work table or install cabinets over it.

Work table or cabinets will also restrict the weight on the area you couldn't pack, and keep the floor from cracking, and the cabinet/work table will cover the hole if you have to hammer up the floor...

If you don't own the land you are digging on...

Burying things next to roads is a bad idea, since that road might be widened and your stuff gets paved over,
OR,
Since every roadway has at least a 30' right of way from it's outside edge, stay well away from that 30' since any number of utilities will be digging through there at any give time...

MAKE SURE YOUR LOCATION LANDMARKS ARE PERMANENT!
I've heard more than one story about something being 'buried' and when they went back to get it in a few years, The tree or fence post or what ever they used to locate the 'Stash' was gone and they would up digging up half the county!

Rock outcroppings and concrete foundations or post are good landmarks, just about anything else can't be trusted!
--------------------

Never trust a rock or anything else that can be moved!
I found that out myself when I was young (in the 70's)!
My Grandpa directed me to the cooker for a still they buried when the 'Law' got too close to their operation back in prohibition days, and before they went back to get it, probation ended so they left it burried
He was CONVINCED he could direct me to EXACTLY where the still was buried...
The old Oak they used as one of their markers was long gone, and the foundation stones of a barn were still there, but didn't look quite right to him...

So, after digging holes for about 2 months in all my spare time!
I finally found the still with a probe and dug it up.
It was more than 75 yards from where grandpa was "POSITIVE!" it was!

Did I mention that brass/bronze holds up well underground?!!!

#4 ·
BKT probably meant to say you can have them in 1" INCREASES, in sizes to well over 18" in diameter at the hardware store.
I meant that you can buy 1-foot diameter PVC pipe and endcaps at the hardware store, and that you can probably get larger-diameter pipes from other sources.

I agree, but that is an EXPENSIVE way to do things.
It's about $20/foot. Not too expensive, IMO. 6" pipe costs considerably less and may be suitable, depending on what's being cached.

And, the amount of waterproofing you will need to do will depend on what you are trying to preserve and where you are trying to preserve it...
PVC cement tends to make things pretty darn waterproof. That's been my experience, anyway.

I would suggest oiling mechanical metal devices (such as a rifle) well, inserting them in a bag, adding dry ice to displace oxygen, heat-sealing the bag, and putting that in the PVC pipe for long-term storage.

I've heard more than one story about something being 'buried' and when they went back to get it in a few years, The tree or fence post or what ever they used to locate the 'Stash' was gone and they would up digging up half the county!

Rock outcroppings and concrete foundations or post are good landmarks, just about anything else can't be trusted!
Exactly right. It's fine to secure your cache, but it won't help you if you can't find it again. It's very, very easy to lose something you buried months or years ago. Use your head when choosing a place to dig.

#5 ·
Coffins are good! The expense??
What are you burying? Do you need access on occasion?
Like bkt indicated, PVC is a good way to go. Oversize it, so if you need access all you have to do is cut it and stick another cap.

JH, Your quite the windy old bag ain't ya? Just answer the question. Some people on this forum may not have the time to contemplate your rambling.:D

"Did I mention that brass/bronze holds up well underground?!!! "
Yea, it holds up well, but it came frome the ground. Now compare PVC to it. PVC is created with alot of toxic stuff, only man can do that. So we have brass/bronze all natural, compared to PVC all toxic. You know the PVC is going to last longer. What is detrimental will succeed what is right.:)

#6 ·
A friend of mine, has 100 acres and equipment, back hoe, etc.
He buried a whole 50' container, under about three feet of soil, with a cement access hole, as in a manhole access. He hid the entrance under carefully planted bushes and some black berry bushes.
nobody knows except his wife and son.

You could also park a cattle feed distributor on top of it......
Hmmmm.........

#17 ·
You could have shot me pm something along the lines of hey your grammar sucks and your grasp of the English language seems to be tentative at best. You must have been educated in the south!

Me: Wow how did you know!

You: You improperly use: there their they're hear here where were and every other stupid change in spelling the English language has to offer.

Me: That is stupid lets change that!

You: Ok!

Maybe????

#18 · (Edited)
well, ya see, it's this way
I am one of the worst spellers you'll ever find.
It really wets my powder when I see someone else doing it.
HowEVER, I do know a bit about grammar and punctuation.
And it REALLY fractures my frizzen when it isn't done proper.
even though I can't seem to do it correctly, either
But then, they don't call me Questor "Bar Sinister" for nuttin'

I also know enough Martial Arts to get myself hurt, really bad

#21 ·
well, ya see, it's this way
I am one of the worst spellers you'll ever find.
It really wets my powder when I see someone else doing it.
HowEVER, I do know a bit about grammar and punctuation.
And it REALLY fractures my frizzen when it isn't done proper.
even though I can't seem to do it correctly, either
But then, they don't call me Questor "Bar Sinister" for nuttin'

I also know enough Martial Arts to get myself hurt, really bad
I'm just saying right here right now we need to stop the English languages stupid rules. It makes it stupidly complicated for no other reason than exclusion. I'm not advocating the use of text spelling I think our language would better serve us though if we didn't get hung up on spelling of different words that sound the same. I'm not saying no to grammar. I feel that's important in order to convey meaning. Just a thought.

#22 ·
Aren't those things a bit pricey ???
And, how do you seal it to make it waterproof ???
If you give the water a place to "run off to", it will collect in the lower places under ground. When you bury whatever you need to bury, lay the liner over the top just before you put the dirt back into place and it should help keep the products that much dryer by moving the water further away.

There will be some seapage back towards the product, but, it would not be direct moisure. If you plan to bury metal containers, consider coating the container and any seals with a heavy grease to protect against rusting / seizing.

#23 ·
I'm just saying right here right now we need to stop the English languages stupid rules. It makes it stupidly complicated for no other reason than exclusion. I'm not advocating the use of text spelling I think our language would better serve us though if we didn't get hung up on spelling of different words that sound the same. I'm not saying no to grammar. I feel that's important in order to convey meaning. Just a thought.
You, Sir, are correct
and I agree . . .
I'll try to ignore it from now on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.