Prepared Society Forum banner

Top items to have at End-times

10K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  dawnwinds58 
#1 ·
I am putting together a list of top 50 of the most valuable items one should have - if we do ever in fact face an "apocalypse". Please let me now what Items you may recommend to be added to this list:

Thus far I have :

dried foods
fresh produce & their seeds
fresh water resources
water filter or iodine
scrap metal and wood
maps
batteries
duct tape
fuel
fabric, needle, & thread
matches
mirror
magnifying glass
jugs and containers
pots
knives
rope
clothing
rugged shoes
sunglasses
sunscreen
soap
vitamins
blankets
AM/FM handcrank radio
antiseptics and rubbing alcohol
sacks or bags
bicycles and carts
wine
chocolate
animal traps
fishing pole
paper & writing tools
plastic trash bag
backpack

Indulgences (not needed, but desired items!!)
chocolate
mary jane
coffee
liquor
cigarettes
perfume
lipstick

See less See more
#2 ·
--pool shock with 'calcium hypochlorite' only to make bleach to purify water.
--magnesiium firestarter

dried foods
fresh produce & their seeds
fresh water resources
water filter or iodine
scrap metal and wood
maps
batteries
duct tape
fuel
fabric, needle, & thread
matches
mirror
magnifying glass
jugs and containers
pots
knives
rope
clothing
rugged shoes
sunglasses
sunscreen
soap
vitamins
blankets
AM/FM handcrank radio
antiseptics and rubbing alcohol
sacks or bags
bicycles and carts
wine
chocolate
animal traps
fishing pole
paper & writing tools
plastic trash bag
backpack

Indulgences (not needed, but desired items!!)
chocolate
mary jane
coffee
liquor
cigarettes
perfume
lipstick

OOOhhh..I am so not ready!!

#4 ·
To be honest, there's probably at least 50 different categories, not 50 different items. A well equipped bug-out-bag may have 100 different items in it.

I'll throw out a couple more for consideration to your list.
Salt, and lots of it.
Sugar
Canning equipment
Lots of medical supplies
Fire starting equipment (matches, lighters...)
TOILET PAPER
candles

#8 ·
Damn bag is too heavy now.. stay home load a few more weapons..

OPPS !!! My bad.. thought it was a BOB...lol

#10 ·
DH and I were talking yeasterday and once more I scolded him for pushing an ashtray across a wooden surface. Not a great piece of furniture, yet functional.

I pondered this habit of his and commented that the practice, one he does not himself approve of, is highly unlikely from the aquaintance who cuts live trees and using only hand tools and a good deal of skill, makes exquisite pieces of furniture, also functional.

For me prepping is constantly expanding my capacities to conserve and maintain the functionality of what I use and consume on a daily basis, and to work backwards on the continum of purchasing the immediately consumable (ie: pre-prepared salad in a bag) to encompase the entire process comfortably (ie: producing my own seeds for the ingredients in the salad through to the salad I am eating).

#11 ·
Here in town we have a "Senior Thrieft Store" that sells full bags of clothing (your choice) for three dollars, at one time it was two.......at this time I have about 75 full bags of almost new clothing to trade with.

Don't dial with wisky, guns or ammo because they will drink your wisky and then return your ammo with the weapons that you sold them.

Be sure to buy stuff that you can use on your profession and that way you will be able to make a living WTSHTF, buy stuff to upkeep your home, stuff like paint and so on and specially to fix your roof.

I am from Cuba where WTSHTF has lasted for over 50 years so that I know what I am talking about........ be ready, not sorry.

#12 · (Edited)
Needle & thread
Animal traps
Shovel
Axe
Whet stone
Safety pins
The Bible
Fish hooks & line

But MOST IMPORTANT.....KNOWLEDGE so you can substitute things for what you don't have!
This is what I think you will need also.But also I would add a bow saw[I have a Wyoming saw it is both a meat blade and wood saw].Don't know if it was mentioned but a alternative fire starter other than matches or lighter.Garden seeds and hand tools to tend it.There is a whole list but this is some different stuff that I feel good with.Le t the perfume in a bad situation you will be smelled by an enemy/invader.

#13 ·
Extra reading glasses.

If you're the one who needs them, it's hard to do close-up work without them.
If you're not, they'd make great trade items.
Most of the dollar stores around here have them, and some come with hard plastic cases, and they're only a dollar!

#15 ·
Gypsy?.........for glasses go to the dollar store, if you have differen vision in your eyes then buy different power, but in the same style, and then swich one eye piece for the other one........mine are better than the ones that the Dr told me to use.

#16 ·
Extra reading glasses.Most of the dollar stores around here have them, and some come with hard plastic cases, and they're only a dollar!
WOW. At our dollar store, they are $6.00. It would almost be worth having you ship me a half dozen pair.
Right now I use the 1.50 and have 2.00 and 2.50 in storage because I'm sure as time goes by I'll need them.

#17 ·
Basic hand tools; screwdrivers, hammers, saws, wrenches, pliers, hand drill W/bits, nails/screws/nuts/bolts/washers, wood glue, epoxy,
superglue, baling wire, string/twine/paracord/rope, scissors/snips/razor blades/X-acto knives/fingernail clippers, files/sandpaper/chisels,
vise/anvil, tape/webbing/chains, etc.

''Can you tell by my list 'over-and-above' what you all have mentioned, that I'm a mechanic, fabricator, craftsman, if it breaks you'll have
to fix it yourself, if you need it and can't get it - then you'll have to make it.'' The way they did it in the Old Days, before the Digital Age.

#18 ·
When I was a teen I was big into hiking and camping. I could start a one match camp fire almost every time. Dead, dry thorn bushed make good starting fuel, but when I got older, bought a home and started using a wood stove as my primary form of heat I got "lazy". I used a self igniting plumbers torch to start the fire. I could split the kindling into 1" pieces and light it right up. One tank of LP would last a year or two so the cost was worth the time saved rolling paper to me. It made it easy and practical for my wife to light the stove if she beat me home from work. She just had to stack in some wood, pull the trigger and wait for it to catch fire. I recommend anyone use wood heat to try it. It's well worth the $30 or so for the torch. It'll pay for itself in no time.

I can can still start a fire a few different ways, but why bother if I have a torch. I could crawl, walk or run to the store, but why bother when I can drive. I might be close, but I'm not a caveman.

#20 ·
Basic hand tools; screwdrivers, hammers, saws, wrenches, pliers, hand drill W/bits, nails/screws/nuts/bolts/washers, wood glue, epoxy,
superglue, baling wire, string/twine/paracord/rope, scissors/snips/razor blades/X-acto knives/fingernail clippers, files/sandpaper/chisels,

''Can you tell by my list 'over-and-above' what you all have mentioned, that I'm a mechanic, fabricator, craftsman, if it breaks you'll have
to fix it yourself, if you need it and can't get it - then you'll have to make it.'' The way they did it in the Old Days, before the Digital Age.
Liquid nail!!!

#21 ·

I am a mechanic also and have all kinds of modern handtools and I strongly agree with you.I also have older handtools,A handcrank drill press,a Forge and tooling,all different size brace and bits,foot powered sharpening stone,that is just some things in the tool line.In the house hold line we have 4 large butcher kettles,hand crank meat slicer,hand and electric meat grinders,hand crank milk seperator,a hand crank grain mill,hand crank corn husker and a grain cleaner,a lot of different hand grinders for herbs and the like,a corn cracker the list goes on.But we also have the knowledge on how to use them because we use them in everyday life.So don't just buy and say I have it but are not sure how to use it properly or it is worthless and you should not have bought it in the first place.
Sorry for the long post just get wound tight sometimes.

#22 ·
So don't just buy and say I have it but are not sure how to use it properly or it is worthless
I tend to agree. Over the last couple years I've acquired a lot of old hand tools just in case the need should ever arise. I stored them away thinking "this is good". :)
On a whim this past summer I pulled out one of the scythes, touched up the blade and went out in the field to give it a try. It is NOT as easy to use as I thought it would be. Working with chainsaws and wood all the time, I figured I wouldn't have any trouble swinging this thing around and cutting some weeds. I was wrong! Not only is there a whole different group of muscles used, there is also a technique involved that took some practice to understand. I'll be pulling out a few other things and learning how to use them now.

#23 ·
... there is also a technique involved that took some practice to understand. ...
Make a video or let us know some other way. I still haven't figured them out and would sincerely like to.

#24 ·
One of the things about a Sythe is you don't really swing it you actually pull it toward you or through the grass or whatever you are cutting.Uncle Joe if you want to try something that takes alot out of you borrow or buy a Grain cradle,I have one and am getting a little better.
But get some of your tools out and try using them they can be fun to use but also difficult but at least you have the knowledge and will in you that a lot of other folks [at least around here don;t]don't.I get laughed at all the time when at auctions and such for buying such [other peoples words]useless junk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.