You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion >

Tips of all kinds...no matter what

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #271
Genevieve
working on it

Liked 3311 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Genevieve is an unknown quantity at this point

Tips of all kinds...no matter what - General Preparedness Discussion

If I'm not allowed to post pictures here then TELL ME. not just block me from doing so you cowards. and I want a GOOD reason not just because two certain members cried boo-hoo

Genevieve THE EVIL ONE is in HAPPY EVIL LAND!!!
JackDanielGarrett Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #272
jimLE

Liked 828 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 845

jimLE is on a distinguished road

one thing i've gotten a friendly reminder of,since moving into the home i live in now.that is,there's aways some place to store something i have.we have a ledge on the back side of the kitchen counter..i have pint jars of chili and pinto beans on one section of it..

Stuff often does not go like we figure...So what's your plan B?
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
live and learn.and learn to live,not to just survive...

Caribou Likes This 
Old 03-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #273
JayJay
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 1560 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 7

JayJay is on a distinguished road
Default black markers

I have cheap black enamel kitchen knobs. When they needed a touch up, it was a PITA..so I just use black marker. No one knows but me.

Also, I used black screws to put Live, Love, Laugh on a bathroom wall to hide the holes I filled in after removing those anchors we all love...blue and green ones, that were needed for that oil rubbed bronze towel rack that fell from the wall twice even with anchors!!!
Why not paint?? Uh, we've been here 9 years and I know those 1&1/2" spots were NOT gonna match if I did buy a pint of paint for just two spots.
So, the screws I nailed into the studs weren't a true black and stood out at least for me looking at the live, love, laugh decals...marker worked again...can't even tell where the screws are now.
So, before getting out the black paint...try black marker.

HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.

weedygarden Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 AM   #274
weedygarden

Liked 5066 Times on 2020 Posts
Likes Given: 14263

weedygarden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
Someone told me this the other day. I haven't tried it and I can't confirm it will work, but I'll pass it on for whoever wants to give it a try. The idea is to catch a bird (obviously to eat it) with a paper cup.

Take a paper cup, as lightweight as possible. Cut it down to the approximate size that it will work for the job at hand. Put some tree sap (or something equally as sticky) around the rim of the paper cup. Put seed (bait) in the cup and set it on the ground.

The bird is supposed to saunter up to the cup, spot the bait, and when it pecks at the seed the cup will get stuck to the birds neck. When the bird lifts its head the cup covers the birds head and blocks its view. Depending on the type of bird, I'm told it will now stand there motionless.

You walk up and grab the bird.
My cat used to catch birds, bring them into the house and release them so he could try to catch them again. I found that cotton dish cloths work well to throw over the bird so that it cannot fly. Then I can take the bird and release it again outside.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 AM   #275
weedygarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
Should we reach a time where civil order has broken down to the point that it’s more important to create a secure living environment than it is to maintain a visually attractive one, then this tip should be beneficial.

After boarding up your windows with plywood (from the inside please) especially the lower ones that are easily accessed from the ground, cover them from the inside with chain link fencing. Secure the chain link against the wall and over the boarded up windows/doors by nailing a 2X4 over an existing 2X4 in the wall (you’ll find them 16” apart all along the wall) with the chain link sandwiched between them.

Properly done it will become almost impossible to kick the plywood off the windows or doors. Even if the would-be intruder manages to break a hole in the plywood he’ll have a hell of a time getting through the chain link. And he makes an easy target while in the process.

This tip comes with the assumed caveat that you will leave yourself an exit and not get caught in a corner with no way out.
I recently read that prepping hog wire to fit your windows and then frame it so that you can attach it to the window frame can add another layer of security to windows. I also have some hardware cloth that I think could add security in the same way.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 AM   #276
weedygarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam46 View Post
Mama who's 92 taught me something I've never known anyone else to do. When I get a "large" chunk of something in my eye I pull out one of the longest hairs from my head, twist it into a loop which is soft enough to comfortably pick out the offender.
I used to wear contacts. One of my eye doctors told me that if and when we get something in our eye to look straight at the floor or ground. You have to have your face parallel to the ground when you do this. Then blink and the speck in your eye will follow gravity and end up at the edge of your eye. Do this while wearing contacts, or not.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 AM   #277
oldasrocks

Liked 622 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 5

oldasrocks is on a distinguished road

Our bathroom was papered and looked crappy. I bought some special primer and used that and painted over it. I painted it a light blue and then used fish decals (peel and stick on) to cover the bad spots that paint alone would not cover. Room looks like the inside of a giant aquarium.

Much easier that peeling off all the paper and resurfacing the walls.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #278
JayJay

Liked 1560 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 7

JayJay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasrocks View Post
Our bathroom was papered and looked crappy. I bought some special primer and used that and painted over it. I painted it a light blue and then used fish decals (peel and stick on) to cover the bad spots that paint alone would not cover. Room looks like the inside of a giant aquarium.

Much easier that peeling off all the paper and resurfacing the walls.
then used fish decals (peel and stick on)

That was my second option till I found the live, love, laugh wood boards that are separate words and allow me to position to cover the holes I filled in.

That heavy towel rack that has no reference to wall studs is now in a yard sale box.

HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #279
Flight1630

Liked 210 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Flight1630 is on a distinguished road

Well like the title says no matter what. My tip is don't eat yellow snow. I personally think that's a good tip, what do you all think lol

Just a Canadian trucker

terri9630 Likes This 
Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #280
cnsper

Liked 3120 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 1965

cnsper is on a distinguished road

If you end up with a cracked oil pan, use bar soap to fill the crack to get you home.

**When government expands, liberty contracts - Ronald Regan
**If ignorance were gun powder, you would be a weapon of mass destruction.
**Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. ~Frank Leahy

Caribou Likes This 

Quick Reply