Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > Is Stock-Piling Food Illegal Or Not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
neil-v1

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

neil-v1 is on a distinguished road
Default Is Stock-Piling Food Illegal Or Not?

I was speaking to a neighbor of my parents about getting ready in case the S.H.T.F. This guy tried to tell me that stock-piling food is illegal. Is he full of dung or is he correct? I looked online and some sites say yes and some say no way. I figured I would ask you all here.

Even if it is illegal, I will still do it but I just want to know the facts. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
horseman09

Liked 207 Times on 122 Posts

horseman09 is on a distinguished road

Neil, I think someone is pulling your leg.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Sourdough
ExCommunicated

Location: On a majestic mountain At the END of my Private LOGGING road, in Alaska
Liked 274 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Sourdough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I go to town for groceries every (3) Three Months, I better be stock-piling, or I'll be Hungry........

Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
neil-v1

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Well the man I was speaking to is really old.......I mean he is ancient. Maybe he is confused or thinks it is 1940???? I just wanted to ask to find out because plans would have to be made to keep even more out of sight.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Sourdough
ExCommunicated

Location: On a majestic mountain At the END of my Private LOGGING road, in Alaska
Liked 274 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Sourdough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Keep it out of sight, and keep yours and your families mouth shut. It is pointless to prepare, and have someone appropriate your preparations.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2708 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1545

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

A stock-pile (hoarding) is when you go out and purchase everything in the entire store knowing full-well that the store will not be able to get fresh supplies for a week or so and purposely cause hardship for others.

Stocking-up is when you visit that same store and purchase a case-lot of goods, but, leave lots of stock on the shelves for others. A slight difference, but, if word is out that a huricane is on its way and you buy everything out of the store, it would be criminal because many others could suffer.

I can go to the local grocery-warehouse and buy a case of toilet paper. It doesn't matter because there are another 15 cases sitting right beside the case that I want. While there, I can purchase 4 cases of cabbage to make some borscht and no-one will look at me twice - because there are another 30 cases ready for the next person to pick-over.

I am getting my shopping-list ready for my next run to the warehouse - I just cleaned-out my upstairs-closet of bathroom-supplies and moved my stocks from the basement upstairs and I have to replenish my basement-stocks.

If you slowly stock-up your shelves in such a way that you do not bring attention to yourself, it isn't a criminal action. If you are video'd for the evening news segment because you got into a fight over the last case of beans in the store when only taking one can would be the right thing to do, it would be considered criminal.

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.
People Like This 
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
gypsysue
The wanderer

Liked 1228 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1589

gypsysue is on a distinguished road

The Mormons have for years encouraged storing at least a 1-year supply of food, and that's universal no matter where they live.

Our stores here have "stock-up case-lot" sales in the spring and fall. Normally we only get to town every couple months, a "real" town, I mean, other than the small market about 8 miles from us.

I think the "illegal" part might be if they declare martial law. I've heard that they can decree that no one have more than a 3-day supply on hand. That'd be tough in remote areas!

Last edited by gypsysue; 07-08-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
HarleyRider
Comic Relief Member

Location: Between the sand and the alligators, in Miami (North Havana), FL
Liked 248 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 1171

HarleyRider is on a distinguished road

No officer... I'm not stockpiling... I just have a very large family.

I'm a prepper, you're a prepper, she's a prepper, he's a prepper, wouldn't you like to be a prepper too? Dr. Prepper, drink Dr. Prepper, ....

biobacon Likes This 
Old 07-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
horseman09

Liked 207 Times on 122 Posts

horseman09 is on a distinguished road

Neil, I think your older friend might have been referring to wartime hoarding.

A whole bunch of different laws and regulations as well as strict rationing of meat, butter, suger, flour, tires, gasoline -- all the necessities were stringently rationed. I might be an old goat, but I wasn't even thought of during the war years. However, my Dad served in Europe and my Mom was a Rosie the Riveter, so I remember many of the stories.

We all take soooooooo much for granted today.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
neil-v1

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

I am sure now that he is probably thinking way, way back. Like I said, he is very old. I will just keep doing what I am doing.

Quick Reply