Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > Solar Storm Preperation for All

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #31
pawpaw

Liked 338 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 379

pawpaw is on a distinguished road

Thanks Tweto!
It IS amazing how many redundancies are built into the system. You mentioned those 2200 hp electric motors to run the pumps...Couldn't we just run an extension cord from the "output" side of the plant around back to the electric pumps?
Not Dollar General cords, mind you, but some real Craftsman ones?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #32
SurvivalNut
Retired Army

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

SurvivalNut is on a distinguished road

Following a Significant Solar Storm event, fires will be very prevalent, immediately after the event and sporadically throughout the aftermath. Wire lines, fence lines and transformers as well as home wiring may spark home fires and wildfires. Afterwards, home fires from poor cooking and heating practices will be common, spreading fires into neighborhoods and communities lacking working fire trucks and dispatch capabilities.

Maintaining a defensible fire space (worthwhile at all times) plus home firefighting measures would be important.

Basis: in the Carrington event, it was noted papers on telegraph desk combusted, even though batteries were disconnected fron the system.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #33
popcorn590

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

popcorn590 is on a distinguished road

I did not think of what you just mentioned. We often overlook items of being prepared, while we are preparing for the items we know about. Thank you so much for bringing this up. One item I do remember what that telegraph operators were actually blown off their posts and knocked out. That is another item I had not thought about, being prepared to avoid injuries that can occur due to large CME.
1. One item I have been wondering about, that I read somewhere. Is it true that if you know a large event has been predicted, you should disconnect the main circuit breaker of your house to the outside power. Thus all electronics in the house will be preserved and protected as long as no power is running through them or to them. Is this True or False??? If false what can be done, if anything for the entire house and it's contents?
2. One other item I have read is that if you have a newer car than 1980, you can get the quick disconnects for the battery and have a good solid ground at the rear of the vehicle, which has a ground chain that can just be attached to the the frame when parking, and at the same time disconnect the battery. The article stated that if a known event is on the way, to disconnect the battery and ground the car, thus protecting the vehicle. True or False. If false what can be done for newer cars?
Thank You,
Popcorn590

Old 01-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #34
popcorn590

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

popcorn590 is on a distinguished road

When were you in. I was in the USAFSS 10 yrs. Intell Analysts then re-trained, your comperable was ASA, from 1963-83. I have been working with and restoring Vietnam Helicopter Pilots 35mm slide tours of the Nam. Have done six pilots Nam tours so far, then another pilot produces the greatest slide shows, from the restoration I do for thsoe that want them. I had the privilage of doing a local friends Army photo album of the Korean War when he was there from 1952-53 at Heartbreak Ridge and Sugarloaf. If you want I can give you a site to see the slide tours of the Nam on line.
Later,
Popcorn590

Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2645 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 1508

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirediron View Post
I have come up with this genairic description of how a EMP type blast causes damage to electronic/ electric devices. Think of an EMP as a ball shaped lightning blast, that provides a charge while it expands kind of like layers of an onion, this charge builds up in wires and other conductors as the "ball" size increases so does the ammount of charge tranfered,thus overloading circuits. A blast from a CME would just be a much bigger ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn590 View Post
I did not think of what you just mentioned. We often overlook items of being prepared, while we are preparing for the items we know about. Thank you so much for bringing this up. One item I do remember what that telegraph operators were actually blown off their posts and knocked out. That is another item I had not thought about, being prepared to avoid injuries that can occur due to large CME.
1. One item I have been wondering about, that I read somewhere. Is it true that if you know a large event has been predicted, you should disconnect the main circuit breaker of your house to the outside power. Thus all electronics in the house will be preserved and protected as long as no power is running through them or to them. Is this True or False??? If false what can be done, if anything for the entire house and it's contents?
2. One other item I have read is that if you have a newer car than 1980, you can get the quick disconnects for the battery and have a good solid ground at the rear of the vehicle, which has a ground chain that can just be attached to the the frame when parking, and at the same time disconnect the battery. The article stated that if a known event is on the way, to disconnect the battery and ground the car, thus protecting the vehicle. True or False. If false what can be done for newer cars?
Thank You,
Popcorn590
Like TiredIron said, think of those electrical discharges being similar in nature to that of a lightning bolt that can travel through the air long distance. If you are within the zone of the electrical discharge, pulling the breaker-panel probably will not help - it will already be too late - and anything that could be zapped has already been zapped.

Anything that is electrical that you feel that you need to protect should be already be protected through the use of the storage-compartments that mimic a faraday-cage (tin-shed, filing cabinet, insulated tin garbage can, gutted microwave, etc). That doesn't mean that you can't take your electronic equipement out to use, just means that everytime you use them, there is a possibility of them getting toasted through faults not of your own.

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
LincTex
Jack of all trades?

Liked 4954 Times on 2648 Posts
Likes Given: 11816

LincTex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn590 View Post
I am trying to save up for the Solar Generator that Solutions from Science has. The 1800 watt would be good enough. If some do not know it is a plug and play generator.
Please don't.

It is overpriced and misleading. You might get 1800 watts from it for about 10 seconds or so. You can do so much more with components you source yourself.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #37
Viking

Liked 1322 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 3296

Viking is on a distinguished road

Faraday shielding, copper screen being best but others will probably help. The shield needs to be grounded like you have ground rods for your home electrical supply. I haven't done it yet but really need to considering how much solar activity we've been having. I need to shield my generator sitting in my wood shed. With all the electronics we so much rely on, most can easily be wiped out with one large CME even if it was half as powerful as the one that happened in 1895. I have an all metal roof and have it grounded because I suspect that it is possible that with a large CME enough voltage could be generated there to start a fire. I don't think people consider such things, most people don't consider what a lightning strike could do in not having lightning rods on homes to dissipate such power. The best thing we could do is to learn to live as if we had no electrical power of any sort.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #38
naturegirl

Likes Given: 2

naturegirl is on a distinguished road

Popcorn590,

Firstly, contact your local Forest Service Botanist and find out what grows locally and where. Where I live, I have a pretty good relationship with them and do ALOT of wildcrafting. Things like St. Johns Wort (pain/depression), Pedicularis (Pain, Anxiety) Elderberry ( immune enhancement) Cascara Sagrada, Slipper Elm, Oregon grape, Lobelia, Osha etc... A couple of things to have on hand:

Arnica Montana : You can grow this then tincture it to make homeopathic drops. Great for inflammation

Echinacea: Immune Enhancer. I recommend the Purpurea variety

Calendula (Marigolds) useful for breakouts and rashes

Aloe Vera: Burns and skin issues

Colloidal Silver generator: Silver is a natural antibiotic. With the generator and silver wires your can make your own. What it does is uses an electronic charge to ionize the silver to the water molecules. Making them bio available to be used by the body.

Grapefruit Seed Extract: This does everything from cleaning house to killing fungus and also can be used to purify water.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but a very basic one.

Prepare with blessing!
Naturegirl

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #39
Viking

Liked 1322 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 3296

Viking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl View Post
Popcorn590,

Firstly, contact your local Forest Service Botanist and find out what grows locally and where. Where I live, I have a pretty good relationship with them and do ALOT of wildcrafting. Things like St. Johns Wort (pain/depression), Pedicularis (Pain, Anxiety) Elderberry ( immune enhancement) Cascara Sagrada, Slipper Elm, Oregon grape, Lobelia, Osha etc... A couple of things to have on hand: I grew up with a lot of these things in the forests of Washington, along with wild red and blue huckleberries and wild blueberries which are both great for eye site because of their lutein content.

Arnica Montana : You can grow this then tincture it to make homeopathic drops. Great for inflammation It's amazing how good this works, internally and externally.

Echinacea: Immune Enhancer. I recommend the Purpurea variety This and colloidal silver are great for fighting pollutants when you have to go into the cities for shopping.

Calendula (Marigolds) useful for breakouts and rashes

Aloe Vera: Burns and skin issues

Colloidal Silver generator: Silver is a natural antibiotic. With the generator and silver wires your can make your own. What it does is uses an electronic charge to ionize the silver to the water molecules. Making them bio available to be used by the body.

Grapefruit Seed Extract: This does everything from cleaning house to killing fungus and also can be used to purify water.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but a very basic one.

Prepare with blessing!
Naturegirl
There are many things in the forests and valleys that are medicinal and sources of food. I recommend that if you don't know what is good to use or eat that you get books on edible and medicinal plants, it could save your life. Far too many people that have been lost in the wood have died not knowing there were things around them that they could eat for survival until rescue.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
LincTex
Jack of all trades?

Liked 4954 Times on 2648 Posts
Likes Given: 11816

LincTex is on a distinguished road

Watch the Aurora Borealis tonight... solar flare coming our way

Massive Solar Flare Headed Toward Earth, May Spark Celestial Light Show | Fox News

Quick Reply