Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion > Rabbits, worms and fish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2685 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1535

NaeKid is on a distinguished road
Default Rabbits, worms and fish

After reading many of Jerry's stories, he seems to include rabbits, worms and fish into the stories - I am just trying to figure out the why-factor on how that works. I have never raised rabbits, so, I don't really understand the theory between the three ...

Can anyone enlighten me on how these all work together?

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
UncleJoe
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4229 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 2267

UncleJoe is on a distinguished road

Funny you should bring this up tonight. I just finished "Stupid Computer" and it got me thinking about this trio.
The way I see it, and this is just my simple mind at work here, the rabbits would be fairly easy to feed from your backyard with grass and other nutritious greenery, as well as garden scraps and sprouts you could grow inside during the winter. The rabbit pen, with a screened bottom, is positioned over top of a bin with worms and the worms would process the rabbit droppings. They would then be fed to the fish. It seems like a rather simple cycle that most anyone could set up. But hey, what do I know.

Quote:
The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3131 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 3342

*Andi is on a distinguished road

I think UncleJoe has it.

I keep three doe rabbits and a buck, they keep us in meat, fur and droppings for the garden and yes, worms for fishing. I think I fed the fish in a differnt way (hook and line ) But the basics are the same.

I had to put Jerry on a limit LOL. So I have not made it to that part ... yet ... but I will.

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Last edited by *Andi; 02-17-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
TreeMUPKennel

TreeMUPKennel is on a distinguished road

AHH my spring time plan, RABBITS. Been wanting to raise some rabbits for eating and droppings for the garden.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Hmmm ...

Would it make much of a difference with me being in the northern end of the world where winter and winter-like conditions are around for 8 out of 12 months? Would it be best if I setup a green-house with a rabbit-hutch inside and a compost-pile as well inside and use all that for the greenhouse itself? As for the water for the fish to live in, unless I have a way to keep the water from freezing, it will be frozen.

Just so that you all understand what I am talking about, one of my favorite lakes to visit is great for fly-fishing, but, it is a stocked lake due to the depth that the ice reaches in the winter-time and the ice kills off the fish population.

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3131 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 3342

*Andi is on a distinguished road

I'm not 100% sure how the system works in the story, but I did find some info that went around in the 80's.

Monitor the water temperature in the barrel frequently - We was going to do a spring to fall season but even with that temperature was a biggie. With your weather, I would say some kind of heater for the fish and a greenhouse.

This ehow didn't have a filter system and our extension office said it would be a must.

Also maybe a cold water fish would work better, catfish need temps around 70 - 80 degrees.

Not much help am I. LOL If you try this let us know.

How to Raise Catfish in a Barrel | eHow.com

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Riverdale

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Riverdale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
Would it make much of a difference with me being in the northern end of the world where winter and winter-like conditions are around for 8 out of 12 months?
We got out of rabbits this winter (the dander really irritated my wife's allergies, but if TSHTF we would raise them again).

They do better in cooler climates than hot. The only problem you might have is with the number of litters you can raise per year. We are just slightly south of the 45th and we had 5 litters with little problems last year.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
HozayBuck

Liked 1273 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 40

HozayBuck will become famous soon enough

Funny we all seem to be thinking the same all of a sudden, yesterday I bought 2 lbs of Tilapia to try as I had never eatten it, VERY!! good.. so I decided to look into growing them, found the web site below and started reading, haven't finished it yet but did find out that this fish has to have warm water...60 to 80, 50 deg and they die...but all is not lost, there are ways to do it..I intend to keep reading...

Yes the bunny's do their thing and it drops into the worm beds and then the fish eat the worms, that said, you should know that the worm beds after the worms are removed are mostly worm casings ( poop so to speak) and are some of the best fertilizer you can have, also the water from the fish is pumped out and run thru gravel based hydro gardens which removed the waste from the fish and is then returned to the tanks, leaving behind all they great fish fertilizer !!...sorta a win win thing...

Hell, I don't know nothing, I just got this from reading in this site

Tilapia Farming at Home

But I'm going to be looking at it real hard, damn good eating fish!!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #9
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Hozay,

I've been eating Tilapia for a few years myself, a very nice white-fish. I BBQ or deep-fry them in my own custom batter or sauces (sometimes just lemon juice and butter in tinfoil).

I was hoping that when I get out of this town that I will be able to dig out a pond that I can raise fish in, but, being on the 51st parallel winter freezing can kill off fish if the water isn't deep enough and flowing fast enough to allow the fish to survive our winters.

I have medium sized aquariums, but, the fish that I have aren't really the eating type.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
Seneschal
Crazy snake chick

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Seneschal is on a distinguished road

Hmm. Not sure about raising fish, but I've heard of water heating systems that're not electric; at least, the heating isn't. The water is routed through black pads on the roof that absorb sunlight and warm the water, then the water is ran through the walls/floors of houses to heat the house. I hear that it works well. Why not do something of the sort with the fish? Though, I could also see the value of just having a greenhouse for it. I know some reptiles need full-spectrum UVB rays in order to survive, but I don't know about fish. You might need lights on them, too, in winter.

Quick Reply