You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Preparedness Discussion >

Preparations update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #6231
ContinualHarvest

Liked 734 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 853

ContinualHarvest is on a distinguished road

Sometimes, it's helping others prep. I've been working with a good friend of mine on canning and preserving. I also started to help her build up some durable supplies like cast iron cookware, dry goods, etc. I explained it to her as being ready for an extended power outage, or getting snowed in. Now her and her husband have a few weeks of supplies stocked up.

Check your six and keep your feet dry.
I won't accept corporations as people until Texas executes one.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #6232
headhunter

Liked 177 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 94

headhunter is on a distinguished road

Purchased 2 rolls of light galvanized wire for repairs and 2 rolls of heavy picture hanging wire (multistrand) for snares.
I set the grandson up for reloading .300 Savage rounds. I had previously given him my grandfather's Model 99 R amd a set of RCBS SB dies, A pound of 4064 powder, hundred lg. WW rifle primers, 50 new Hornaday .300 Savage brass, and 100 Rem. PSP 150 gr. .308 bullets were necessary. Although he has been using his mom's 6MM (previously mine), this was important to me because it was the .300 Sav. I shot my first deer with. He picked up the emergency preparedness merit badge this summer as well as his Star rank.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #6233
zimmy
WELL SEASONED
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 676 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 288

zimmy is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks, Zimmy here. I thought some of you may be interested in these digital thermometers I bought. I'm using my hot water tank not only for domestic hot water but also for in floor heating in one room.

I have thermometers on both upper and lower elements on the tank with a differential of about five degrees which prevents constant cycling from bottom to top thermostats.

I bought four of them just to have around for other projects. Link below for thermometers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231987701022?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

File Type: jpg 001.jpg (30.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (30.7 KB, 50 views)

You can judge the content of a man's heart by his treatment of animals.

One is none, two is one, in other words, redundancy.

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2016, 10:24 PM   #6234
tsrwivey
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7299 Times on 2152 Posts
Likes Given: 21421

tsrwivey is on a distinguished road

More cans of of tropical fruit, 4 big can of FD beef stew, some purple hull peas, Velveeta, spray cheese, antibiotics. I've exceeded the preps budget lately so time to back off a bit.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:26 AM   #6235
AmishHeart

Liked 1524 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

AmishHeart is on a distinguished road

Went to Aldi's today and bought some more low cost canned foods. I like Aldi's.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 AM   #6236
musketjim

Liked 864 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 23

musketjim is on a distinguished road

Back from our Caribbean vacation. Went from 80's and sun and sand to-25 and snow. Really having a tough time getting over jetlag. 15 miles treadmill this morning, first good workout since I've been back. Wood box filled. Fitted my boots on my new skis. Soon as this cold snap breaks I'll give them a try.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #6237
Tacitus

Liked 1045 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Tacitus is on a distinguished road

I took a brief break away from normal preps, and started buying some precious metals. So, I've been posting less. But, I was lying in bed last night, thinking about getting back into normal prepping mode. I got out of bed, and opened up my old prepper spread sheet that I used to plan my prep strategy, and track my progress.

Vegetable oil and water were on my priority list.

So, I bought some Crisco on the way home from work tonight.
Preparations update - General Preparedness Discussion

Tomorrow, I'll get some water. (Too expensive at the grocery store I stopped at.) I'm going to buy several gallons of water, in durable containers, and put them in the back of our under-sink cabinets in bathrooms and kitchens. I would love to invest in one of those giant water tanks, and put it in my garage...but the wife would kill me. The baby steps continue, I guess.

"The worst lesson that can be taught to a man is to rely upon others." -- Teddy Roosevelt

People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 04:32 AM   #6238
Tacitus

Liked 1045 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Tacitus is on a distinguished road

Oh, I did make a list of supplies to buy at Costco. My wife agreed we needed all the stuff, so I don't have to buy any of them as preps. She'll buy them as every day use items that we are just stocking up on.

Tonight, she actually talked about "my stores" and "your stores" (in the context of "Your stores stay out of my pantry!" For some reason, she thought my favorite salsa was a prep item.) That is major progress, though. My stores are in the back of the basement...long term stuff that we don't use every day (but which she occasionally raids). Her stores are an area of shelving I set up for her right near the stairs, and which I filled up with food stuffs we use all the time. She's been using all the stuff I bought, and she has been replacing them in bulk. I'm so proud of her that she thinks of them as "her stores."

"The worst lesson that can be taught to a man is to rely upon others." -- Teddy Roosevelt

People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 04:32 AM   #6239
timmie
timmie

Liked 648 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 1567

timmie is on a distinguished road

going to take a break and take stock and see what i am weak on. the girls and i are going through the pantry this weekend and start there. i know i need to add more water ,so i will be getting some gallons of water and we have a well on our place . will see what we need to do to get it up and running. and also will add more rain barrels.

Tags
preparation list

Quick Reply